PDA

View Full Version : 04 with a hard 2-1 downshift?

mapper
04-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Looking at a car tomorrow at a dealership. They took it in on trade and noticed that is has a downshift that you can "feel" from 2-1 once it's warm. Apparently it's noticeable but their mechanics (not a volvo dealership) don't think it warrants a new tranny.

Edit, need to add that this is felt when approaching a stop...not when downshifting to accelerate.

Any familiarity with this downshift issue in an 04?

The optimist in me wonders if it could be as simple as mounts (~100k on the car) or in need of a good Gibbons flush. The pessimist will need to figure in the cost of a potential trans replacement. Which, if selling price is right, may not be so bad. Still a lot of good miles to be had with a fresh transmission. I'm a bargain shopper so these kind of cars always pique my curiosity. I also have "extra" cars so downtime isn't really a concern.

Going to take a look because the price could be nice, they're going to give me a bottom line...we'll see what that means:rolleyes: Sounds like it's off to auction if I don't want it. It's a color combo I've been looking for and the rest is apparently clean.

mapper
04-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Well, being that I haven't been looking at anything in the 01-02 category I haven't been reading the multitude of trans threads.

Now I have been; it sounds as though anything that occurs when hot rather than cold is a problem with line pressure.

Don't know if the 2-1 downshift is an early or late stage problem. So at this point the question would be...can this be limped along/helped by valve bodies/solenoids?

Asking price is the big issue now

Astro14
04-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Not nearly enough information here to make any kind of recommendation...

Did they even check the fluid level or condition??? Anyone check the mounts?

Could easily be fluid, or mounts, or VB, or bands....

mapper
04-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks for weighing in on this one Astro.

I agree with you completely which is why I'm going to look at it, drive it, and see how bad this really feels.

Mostly I just wanted to know if the 2-1 downshift clunk was a common issue of concern. Known issues with 04 transmissions. Or if one of the related components would likely lead to that condition.

They did mention that it only gets bad when warm. After reading many of your other posts it sounds like tranny conditions that present when warm/hot are usually indicative of impending failure.

mapper
04-17-2012, 09:46 AM
I don't know what they've done. They told me it went to a transmission shop who suggested NOT replacing the transmission at this time. Said it had an issue and could fail 2 months or 2 years. Also it was apparently to a Volvo shop for a "transmission inspection" twice in the last 8k miles. I've asked them to provide me the specific service history related to the transmission. We'll see what they show. That said, they apparently don't really want it on the lot as is...I happened to call just before they sent it to auction.

Depending on price, information provided and condition of other components, it may be worth the gamble.

I'm usually pretty easy on my cars and do my own work. If it isn't a terrible clunk; with the knowledge of proper fluid and flushes feel like I could likely limp it along for some time and look for a low mileage used unit.

howardc64
04-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Since dealer owns it and obviously want to sell it. Perhaps you can ask them if they are willing to 1) flush the fluid 2) inspect the lower transmission torque mount 3) check TCM software version 4) do adaptation

Quit a list bit all simple stuff. If they only do one of these, I'd say #1.

#2 takes 1 min and you can do it yourself. Learn where the torque mount is and push and pull bolt that connects to the transmission length wise. If it moves much, its broken.

#3/#4 requires a Volvo diagnostic computer (VIDA/DiCE). #3 takes just a few min and #4 requires a test drive sequence lasting about 45min.

2008XC70
04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Sounds like the valve body might need to be replaced. I have a 2001 with 199k miles and it has been doing that for a while, but it is slowly getting worse

mapper
04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks, you mean yours had the 2-1 downshift issue? Roughly how long is "awhile"?

Provided I like the rest of the car, I'm hoping this will be the right bargaining chip. I will def. check the upper mount and lower torque when I look at the car.

I can do all the simpler stuff myself (fluid flush, mounts). If I purchase I'll be taking it for full software updates regardless. If those steps fail I would likely try the adaptation.

2008XC70
04-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks, you mean yours had the 2-1 downshift issue? Roughly how long is "awhile"?

Provided I like the rest of the car, I'm hoping this will be the right bargaining chip. I will def. check the upper mount and lower torque when I look at the car.

I can do all the simpler stuff myself (fluid flush, mounts). If I purchase I'll be taking it for full software updates regardless. If those steps fail I would likely try the adaptation.

That & also occasional shift flares. I replaced the servo cover with the updated, but have not done the transmission adapt mode. I also flushed the transmission fluid which was filthy, that definitely helped, but the problem is still there.

Mounts might make the shifting problem worse, but it certainly will not be the cure for what you're experiencing.

sjonnie
04-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Looking at a car tomorrow at a dealership. They took it in on trade and noticed that is has a downshift that you can "feel" from 2-1 once it's warm. Apparently it's noticeable but their mechanics (not a volvo dealership) don't think it warrants a new tranny.

According to Sonnax "Slight bump on 2-1 down-shift… and/or TCC rpm fluctuates at 30-40 MPH during modulated apply….and/or excess TCC slip at full lockup…." indicates low SLU solenoid output, i.e. a dirty or blocked SLU solenoid. Dirty solenoids don't correct themselves quickly if at all, a magnefine filter and frequent fluid changes and TransTune treatment are you best bet, otherwise it's solenoid rebuild / replacement time. Interesting to see more 03-04 model cars appearing with valve body issues.

mapper
04-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks sjonnie.

I've seen the TransTune mentioned in other threads. Sounds a lot like Autorx. I used Autorx in my passat 1.8t, now ~245k, with great results. No leaks running M1 0-40. A couple years ago I bought an Astro AWD for a project. It had 18x,000 miles and occassional transmission slips/flares. I put some autorx in and did a drain and fill. Van now has 206k and the trans shifts almost perfectly.

Waiting to hear from the dealer, looking forward to checking this one out.

mapper
04-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Asking low $7s. A bit high, IMO. Your thoughts?

Compared to Edmunds data given the dealer retail of $10k for an outstanding example at this mileage...outstanding would mean I could get the trans fixed for ~$3k which seems optimistic. Will still take a look and good long test drive and report back what she feels like.

The trans better seem damn good and the rest of the car be in great shape. 100k is the beginning of a lot of potential maintenance.

mapper
04-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Well, the hard shifts are between 2-3, 3-2 (not 1-2, 2-1) garage shifts seems good. l tried using geartronic as well and got a noticeable 2-3, 3-2 lag while the rpms just kind of floundered. The clunk itself is intermittent, happens about 80% but when it does you really feel it; head hits the headrest kind of thing. Seems to me the trans is cooked or in need of some very serious nurturing. Probably best to just rebuild it.

As for the mounts, the top mount looked newish but the strut bar it attaches to was VERY loose. I could easily wiggle it between 10:30 and 1:30 positions with one hand.

I also noticed the front end wandered a bit on acceleration to the highway, and the steering would be very odd (sort of on/off pulsing) while going around curves at speed? Maybe this is related to the strut bar. I don't know how someone feels safe driving a car anywhere near that condition. Control arms, ball joint, and tie rod ends, likely shocks/struts added to the list of needed work.

I couldn't get at the lower torque mount. I guess I thought it was more in the open. Needless to say I imagine shifts like this would wreak havoc on any weak mounts...likely amplifying the problem. Probably needs new mounts all around.

At any rate, I didn't dig any further and told him though I wasn't afraid of project but $7300 was too high for a car with that many issues. He said he would do $6500. I told him I'd sleep on it and call in the morning but mentioned $5k was a number I had in mind for a car with those issues and the remaining general condition of the vehicle. It's either me or the auction.

It's a nice solid car, reasonably clean interior and exterior but a lot of mechanical work needed. All the fiddly bits work as they should but it needs a serious refresh. I'm guessing it goes to auction.

mapper
04-17-2012, 09:14 PM
I should add. After driving this XC, a bit wallowy for starters, with all these bad bushings/joints/tranny etc. my very used, but well sorted and fully maintained, passat wagon felt like a damn sports car! Sure do love manual transmissions, wish the XC had them.

Usually I come back from my test drives longing for the comfort and cushiness of the XC, not so much this time. Amazing what proper maintenance does for driving pleasure [thumbup]