PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil users ?

KB3MMX
04-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Just curious how many Amsoil users are here and how many are using their ATF in their transmissions?

I'm thinking about doing a flush with their ATF in my 03' XC70 Turbo, I have already changed over to their engine oil.

Thanks

Astro14
04-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Sigh...not this question again...please look at my post under "Wolf's Head ATF"...and then search through all my posts on ATF...

We've been over this so many times...

I would use their engine oil in a heartbeat if it wasn't so over-priced. Spending more doesn't mean that you get a better product. I can get M1 0W40 on sale at our local AAP for about $5/QT. I've bought M1 5W40 for $0.98/QT. Both of which are as good as the Amsoil...which I can't find for less than $10/QT...

I would NOT use their ATF...nor would I use any universal ATF...I would use the Toyota T-IV and change it every 30K...

MacNoob
04-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Amsoil is just synthetic oil at twice the price of getting a good synthetic from the bulk dealer or wholesaler. I wouldn't use anything except 3309/Toyota T-IV in the transmission.

KB3MMX
04-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Sigh...not this question again...please look at my post under "Wolf's Head ATF"...and then search through all my posts on ATF...

We've been over this so many times...

I would use their engine oil in a heartbeat if it wasn't so over-priced. Spending more doesn't mean that you get a better product. I can get M1 0W40 on sale at our local AAP for about $5/QT. I've bought M1 5W40 for $0.98/QT. Both of which are as good as the Amsoil...which I can't find for less than $10/QT...

I would NOT use their ATF...nor would I use any universal ATF...I would use the Toyota T-IV and change it every 30K...

Amsoil is just synthetic oil at twice the price of getting a good synthetic from the bulk dealer or wholesaler. I wouldn't use anything except 3309/Toyota T-IV in the transmission.

I know Amsoil product lines vary in price but even their most expensive oil is $8 QT here and the "OE" line, equivalent to Mobil 1 is only $5 QT.
I'd definetely say you must have been getting ripped off at $10 QT !! Yikes !:eek:

Anyhow, thanks for the input guys and I did search the ATF threads prior but I found allot of transmission gripes and failures apparently with people running the OEM fluid.

I decided to give the Amsoil Synthetic ATF a shot as it says it meets the spec required for the transmission and also that IDP sells Red Line Synthetic ATF for these cars to upgrade the factory ATF fluid quality.

I've had prior success with Amsoil ATF in many other automatic vehicles, so I did the flush per the Gibbons method, using the Amsoil which worked great.

The car seems to be shifting smoother already, so I'm very pleased to already notice a positive change in shifting already. [thumbup]

KB3MMX
04-17-2012, 10:05 PM
So, is anyone else using Amsoil in their transmission here ?

ifnt420
09-18-2013, 01:35 AM
I just flushed the old Mobil 3309 ATF with Amsoil Signature ATF, it has been a pleasant change in the shifting quality.
Will flush it again in 10,000km to see how the ATF looks.

vtl
09-18-2013, 04:08 AM
Read "pleasant change" as "shifting without glitches at all" or just "shifting better than it was"?

ifnt420
09-18-2013, 09:37 AM
For the past 200,000km I have been changing the Mobil 3309 (or Mobil 1 synthetic when it was 3309 approved) ATF every 10,000km, but was getting harsh shift in 1st>2nd>1st gear during stop and go traffic; also slight flare between 3rd>4th up change; both has disappeared now.
Therefore I highly recommend the Amsoil Signature ATF.

Allen
09-20-2013, 05:32 PM
I've been running Amsoil ATF since 2007 with no issues. I think it could use refresh now, though.