PDA

View Full Version : May be purchasing a 2001 XC70! Voice your opinions!

rdemattio91
04-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Hey guys, my dad may be purchasing a volvo XC70. It is a 2001, and has 93k miles. He cant even use a touchtone phone without doing something wrong, so he asked me to do some research on this car for him.

Few questions,
How easily can this car be worked on? (Oil changes, brake jobs, other simple maintenance)
Do these cars last?
Are there any weak points?
How is the gas mileage?
Are parts readily available?
Do volvo dealers rake you with labor etc?

Feel free to voice any opinions, I know this is a XC forum so most people will say buy it, but I really want honest information on this car.

Thanks guys!

ecbsykes
04-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Run away! Bad transmissions in the 01-02 cars, no joke. If it hasn't been replaced, it will be. Just wait for everyone else to post if you don't believe me.

rdemattio91
04-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah after U said that I did some research and I see that they have alot of transmission problems. If the tranny has been replaced, is it a good car then?

ecbsykes
04-11-2012, 03:00 PM
As far as I know, that's a negative. They replace them with the same funky units.

Astro14
04-11-2012, 03:02 PM
OK - here's my .02...

It gets decent mileage (18-21 around town, 23-26 on the highway) and offers a unique blend of luxury, comfort, AWD and practical size. It is a great driving car and it will last forever, Volvos just don't seem to fade or rust as easily as other cars, but it will take more maintenance than you might expect.

Oil changes and brakes are easy, no worse than any car. Some things on this car are weird, and difficult, like the swaybars and the engine mounts...

Parts are readily available but expensive. Labor is expensive. If you can't do the maintenance yourself, there are better choices out there.

Known problem area is the trans...I would not buy it if the trans has not been replaced, for the simple reason that no one maintains the trans...and given the mileage that it likely has, that trans probably is on its last legs...mine's orginal, but it's been taken care of...

rdemattio91
04-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Okay, we keep on the maintenance on the cars, my dad just wanted to know if we would be able to do most of the maintenance.
So I have 1 person saying the trannys are replaced with junk trannys, and the other saying if the trannys are replaced that is is good, can we get some more opinions?

sjonnie
04-11-2012, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't recommend you get an 01/02 either, even though my '02 is still going strong on the original trans, that might be just be luck. You might be better off looking for a well cared for higher mileage '03/'04 to fit in your budget. If the transmission has been replaced it will have the updated solenoid design, so should be less susceptible to problems.

How easily can this car be worked on? (Oil changes, brake jobs, other simple maintenance)
Pretty straight forward. Engine bay is cramped as you'd expect for a transverse mounting, but most jobs can be tackled in your driveway with a standard mechanics tool set. There is no servicing manual but you can get hold of the Volvo service software relatively easily.

Do these cars last?
If they are cared for, yes.

Are there any weak points?
The transmission must be regularly serviced to ensure longevity. If not the solenoids become gummed up and the shifts become harsh. A lot of people have had problems with their '01-'02 transmissions requiring them to be replaced, so beware. The electronic throttle also had a problem on the '01 version of these cars. The PCV system is prone to fouling. Front suspension components (e.g. struts, strut mountings, control arm bushings).

How is the gas mileage?
25mg highway 19mpg urban

Are parts readily available?
Most people order online, your local autozone might have an oil filter but it'll be $20 or something (compared to $5 online).

Do volvo dealers rake you with labor etc?
Yes. Servicing at the volvo dealer is extortionate.

rdemattio91
04-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Wow, thankyou for all the info! I will inform my dad, so the 03+ are good, and anything prior to 2001 is good?

JRL
04-11-2012, 04:19 PM
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20731 [happy][thumbup]

(Stay away from 01s and 02s)

dfuerst
04-12-2012, 05:43 AM
RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!!!!!

The 2001/02s are saddled with an exceptionally poor tranny which *probably* will fail eventually if it hasn't already. Replacement with a rebuild is the only option. The quality of rebuilds seems to vary, and you don't know what you'll get. I just wouldn't chance it. This is coming from someone with an 01 (yes, whose tranny failed, and has been rebuilt).

The 03-'s seem to be a slightly "better" deal.

Darren

acools
04-12-2012, 08:20 AM
+1 on "Stay away from 01s and 02s"

You can find 2003 and 2004 models with the same miles for reasonable prices.

Andres

Xheart
04-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Volvo is no different. But reliable!

Also, See this link...

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13371&highlight=Poll

XC70XC
04-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Yeah after U said that I did some research and I see that they have alot of transmission problems. If the tranny has been replaced, is it a good car then?

My '02 V70XC developed some lag when shifting from R to D. The 5AT Geartronic also jerk/lurch at times too. This happened around the 70,000miles mark. Despite it is a one owner car with full service history, the tranny blight comes home to roost. Transmission oil change and updated ETM code are only temporary solution.

Finally, had it taken a good look at by the indie Volvo guys. The valve body was the culprit and a known design weakness. Out it went and a new updated part (fitted to '03 models onward) was installed. The guys said my tranny now can outlast the rest of the car. It is now running great and better than new. Good thing the extended warranty taken care most of the repair bills.