PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone installation

Jeff Evans
01-09-2003, 07:56 PM
I took delivery of my 2003 XC70 in November and attempted to relocate my cell phone kit from my 1997 960 to the new car. The phone is the older Motorola Timeport (colour) with the full car install kit for a Star Tac.

To my surprise, Volvo cars are no longer wired with a connector under the dash for the 2 power leads and ground (unlike the 960).

The dealer advises that all connections are make to an accessory module in the back of the car. As well the Volvo (Erricson) cell phone option is not usable in Canada.

I have tried the CCM Navigator hands-free cigarette lighter kit and found it unsatisfactory.

Any comments or recommendations?
http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

baz957
01-09-2003, 08:25 PM
Hi Jeff,
I think that by connecting your kit to the cigarette lighter power and ground leads you should not affect any computerized system in the car.
Atlas.

Jeff Evans
01-09-2003, 08:32 PM
I agree but what do I do for the switched power that turns the phone on and off via the ignition switch?

The hands free kit requires continuous 12VDC, switched 12VDC, and ground.

MichaelF
01-09-2003, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure about the 2003, but for my 2002 I used the (Panavise (http://www.panavise.com/) product that's basically a piece of metal which fits behind the stereo and holds on to existing Volco mounts.

I'll send some pictures if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Michael

MichaelF
01-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Sorry about that, missed an entire paragraph.

On the 2002 they had to connect it to a cable they ran into the power and ground directly (rather than going through something controlled by the ignition.  My phone controls whether or not the phone is on or off and the controller is always on.

Michael

Jeff Evans
01-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Thanks Michael.

I went to the Panavise site and have located their distributor in the Toronto area.  I have not been able to find a bracket before now for the newer dash.  I will be getting one on order.

As for the power hook-up, I am lazy and do wish to use the automatic power on/off feature offered by the intermittent 12VDC power supply so I'm hoping someone can help me with that one.

baz957
01-10-2003, 03:28 AM
Hi Jeff,
You may want to check, but I think that the cigarette lighter is power on/off.
Atlas.

baz957
01-10-2003, 04:54 AM
Hi again Jeff,
You may want to pay a visit to good old Canadian Tire and pick up a circuit tester, it looks like a screwdriver with a sharp tip and a wire with a clip. With this tool you can connect the wire to any ground and gently poke a wire when your ignition switch is in on/off position, when the circuit is live a light will go on on the tester.
Another item that is handy, those 3M wire connectors that can connect two wires withot cutting/stripping, they are blue in colour.
Another connection that won't affect any puter is the 4 way flasher.
Atlas.

Stretch
01-11-2003, 07:49 AM
Jeff,

I just had my cell phone installed in my 2003 using the PanaVise mount on the right side of the radio cluster.  I thought about doing it myself, but then I felt that if something goes wrong I have no recourse except for my own pocketbook.  I paid $100 for a local audio shop to install it and it works just fine.  I would like to suggest that you talk to your dealer asking them who they use for their cell phone installations.  They might be generous like my dealer and give you their name.

MichaelF
01-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Stretch,

Unfortunately the right side is the only one that Panavise supports, which is basically how I connected my kit.  I'm wondering, which phone do you have?  I'm using a Motorola Startac and I'm not really crazy about the angle when my phone is in the cradle, but apparently there aren't a lot of options.  Additionally there's not many logical places to run the cord - what did you end up doing?  Mine currently runs through the same hole as my XM kit, but it's not what I would consider ideal by any means.  Do you have pictures of yours?  I could add some of mine if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Michael

Stretch
01-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Michael,

This is what my installation looks like.

Stretch

Stretch
01-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Also take a look at this one - I had the swivel that comes with the hands-free install installed.

Stretch.

Jeff Evans
01-13-2003, 05:55 AM
Thanks Stretch,

Those photos are great and help me with the installation.

I have the bracket on order from PanaVise.

As well Volvo has an optional pig-tail wiring harness (spec'd for the S80 but it is the same unit) that taps into the power feed to the stereo.  The harness provides the continuous and intermittent 12 VDC required.

I understand that the stereo is a bear to get out so the Volvo dealer will pull the stereo, install the harness and bracket and re-install the stereo.

Does your system have an external antenna or does it use the cell phone's antenna?  Routing the antenna cable is also not easy anymore with the side air bags.

As well, what did you do with the external microphone?  I used to mount it in the side head panel (960) but this isn't possible anymore with the side air bags.

Thanks for your help!

MichaelF
01-13-2003, 09:30 AM
Stretch,

Thanks for the photos.  My installation looks almost identical to yours, except that I am going through an existing hole in my dash rather than along side the panel.  Can I ask, where did you put the speaker?

Jeff,

The kit does use either the built in antenna or an exteral unit.  I decided to add the external Terk unit, wihch is about the size of a pack of gum.

The microphone is run up the pillar and in a great spot for my use -- Just to the left of my line of sight.  I guess I'll add some photos later.

Michael

Jeff Evans
01-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Michael,

Your pictures would be a help.  You say you added a hole to your dash?  Where did you do that and can you take a photo of it as well?

As well, you mentioned you ran the mike up the driver's pillar.  I assume it hangs from the top of the pillar.

Where did you run the wiring for the antenna?

MichaelF
01-13-2003, 01:17 PM
As promised...

Let me know if you have any questions.

Michael

Stretch
01-14-2003, 07:10 PM
Ok, here goes...

The speaker is located on the hinge post on the passengers side.

Stretch
01-14-2003, 07:11 PM
The microphone is located immediately infront of the sunroof switch above the mirror

Stretch
01-14-2003, 07:13 PM
And.... the antenna is mounted on the front windshield on the passengers side.  Sorry about the blurry image.

MichaelF
01-14-2003, 07:20 PM
Stretch,

Thanks for the pictures.  I tucked the speaker away under the dash on the passenger's side (so that you can't see it).  Also, as an FYI, Motorola makes the recommendation of putting the microphone anywhere but in the center.  Apparently there is some issue with crosstalk to the speaker?

I dunno, that's where I wanted it and the installer said that I would have problems.

Michael

Stretch
01-15-2003, 05:55 PM
Michael,

My wife complains about the lousy pickup I have when calling her from the car.  This makes sense with the microphone mounted in the center.  Oh well, back to the installer to relocate the microphone to the left door pillar.

Thanks.

Stretch