PDA

View Full Version : Transmission HELP!

coreelements
03-30-2012, 01:48 PM
My car v70 X/C with AW50/51 AWD. The symptoms started soon after the purchase of the used car. First it began to shift hard and when going from park to drive or reverse it paused then popped in gear with a shutter. Eventually the shifting while driving got worse mostly in gears 2-3-4. I did some investigation and also purchased Vida & Dice. My diagnoses may be off though I replaced the B4 servo cover and the tranny fluid. The fluid I used was T-IV from Toyota dealer and the servo cover I got from ipdusa.com. In my test driving I get error code TCM-002F Lock-up function. Slipping or not engaged. It slips real big in the 2-3rd gears and then goes in to diag mode or I guess limp mode and pretty much stays in 4th and I can make it home. I did a TCM reload and put it in Adaptation mode to see if that would work but it will not shift good enough to stay in that mode so it throws the DTC again.

I was unsure of the fluid type I used though I know I needed to change it as it was black and burnt. After researching the fluid again I am more sure it is the correct type. I started looking at a replacement transmission and the job tasks involved. Anyone have any suggestions? :(

JRL
03-30-2012, 02:31 PM
If you have a lock up code, I'm afrraid it's probably a goner

coreelements
03-30-2012, 04:41 PM
The code produces this ref information:

Substitute value
Control unit help program "Emergency mode I" has started to work.
Possible source
Poor quality transmission fluid.
Water in the oil.
Contact resistance in the connectors.
Gear shift solenoid S4 is jammed in OFF position.
Gear shift solenoid SLU is jammed in OFF position.
Mechanical fault in the gearbox.

Fault symptom[s]
Orange general warning lamp is on.
Malfunction indicator light (MIL) is on.
No lock up function.
Rough gear shifts.

Slipping or not engaged
Checking the oil quality and the oil level in the transmission
Note! Transmission fluid quality and level are extremely important for the function of the transmission. Therefore it is imperative that these are correct. In addition the oil level is dependent on oil temperature.
Ignition on.

Read off the oil temperature.

Check the oil level. If the oil level is low, check the transmission for leakage, then top up with oil.

Check the quality of the oil.

Check the transmission oil and filter. Check for abnormal large amounts of particles in the oil. Take a sample using the dip stick.

If the transmission oil contains an abnormal amount of particles - replace transmission.

Replace the transmission fluid if the fluid smells burnt.

Other information
Transmission fluid, replacing

Oil level, checking

Oil grade, checking

Select an alternative below
No fault detected.

Transmission replaced. Transmission fluid replaced, low level or poor quality.

Transmission oil contains abnormal amount of particles.

coreelements
03-30-2012, 04:49 PM
The tranny fluid was yuck when I drained it. What is interesting is that it says to check the filter but I am unable to find any details in VIDAS about a filter in the transmission.

If I clear the codes then drive around the neighborhood it shifts OK the first steps through 1-3 then once it tries to shift back down and back up that is when the sipping happens and the code is produced.

Has anyone on the forum replaced one of these transmissions?
I have the process in VIDAS though it requires a special engine lift type tool..

Davidatthepoint
03-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Well funny you should mention that......I just happen to be in the process of doing just that. I am about to split off the dead transmission ala VIDAS but without the special lift.
I'll let you know how it goes. So far I would say it is doable without special tools (other than a transverse engine lift). But the story is not over yet!

JRL
03-30-2012, 07:35 PM
VIDA or Vadis, NOT VIDAS

Davidatthepoint
03-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Well...at the risk of splitting hairs.....this is my software and VADIS is always in capitals through-out:

VADIS Application Version : 6.7a.2775

Ah...sorry...just realized my spelling mistake........I stand corrected

coreelements
03-31-2012, 09:33 AM
Well funny you should mention that......I just happen to be in the process of doing just that. I am about to split off the dead transmission ala VIDAS but without the special lift.
I'll let you know how it goes. So far I would say it is doable without special tools (other than a transverse engine lift). But the story is not over yet!

What is the issue with your transmission? Are you having same code as mine?
How much are you paying for a replacement (used or rebuilt)?
How are you planning to do the lifting part of the job as the VIDA instructions show?

sorry bout all the questions. Thought we could do some comparing since we are in a similar situation:eek:

Astro14
04-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Coreelements - If you go look at his thread, you can find all the answers to your questions....instead of asking and waiting for someone else to do all the typing...

dfuerst
04-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Only reasonable option is to go with a rebuild. If you go used, you are asking for the same problem to rear it's head.

I would advise going with an independent shop (i.e., tranny shop). When we rebuild the tranny on my wife's 01 that's the route we took, and it was significantly cheaper (~$2,000) than the dealership (which wanted "bend over and squeal like a pig" money). Pick carefully.

That was 3-4 years ago and the rebuilt tranny is still working fine.

ovloV quality.

Darren

Volky_one
05-12-2012, 06:04 AM
Did you finally get a solution? my transmission came in yesterday and I am looking to do the job myself.