PDA

View Full Version : Possible alternator issue

Volvoholic
03-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Hey guys,

I've been trying to determine if my cars alternator is on its way out. I'm 99% sure it's gone bad but I just don't want to accept it's the alternator.

Here are my symptoms; slow crank on cold start, sometimes there's a long crank after the cars been warmed up and you go to restart it, interior lights flicker when the car is idling with any door open, today it had a bit of a lumpy idle - not something you could see on the tach but something you could hear from the exhaust note, there's a buzzing noise coming from around the alternator when you give it gas or turn on a light or hit the brakes or turn the steering wheel etc..., and the headlights will get brighter if you rev it.
This can and can't be a symptom but the fog lights will dim everything when you turn them on for a second and keep it all slightly dimmer but if you turn them off everything will get brighter and stay brighter.
I can't tell if the dash lights are flickering quite yet and the car isn't throwing any codes yet so everything checks out on its systems. I'm also not sure how old the battery is or what the voltage it puts out is these days is anymore.

Small history: bought last July 4th weekend @ 55000mi off a 4yr lease, currently has 63500mi and the stock Pirelli ST-R's are bald. I've gotten almost everything that should be replaced, replaced through CPO but nothing has been touched under the hood. Engine, trans, and AWD system work as they should. Pretty sure the last owner took it to the snow a numerous amount of times but I can never be certain of anything. That could give the alternator a bit of excessive wear. It has had a version of the slow "old Volvo crank" since we bought it, just not as extensive.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Volvo said it'd be $140 to diagnose it and if something is wrong, they'll waive all fees and it'll be covered under CPO. I just want to be sure I'm right and not waste $140.

A friend told me to disconnect the positive terminal of the battery while it's running and if it dies, there's an alternator issue. That sounds a little sketchy to me and what if it doesn't die but there is something wrong?

Thoughts and advice appreciated,
Jeff

billr99
03-26-2012, 04:14 AM
Well, I can tell you that if you disconnect the battery with the engine running you WILL have an alternator problem. Basically you'll short out the diode pack in the alternator without a complete circuit plus these cars are highly electronic. You screw around too much with the electrics in an improper way and you'll have way more problems than just an alternator.

Any decent service place can do an electrical load test that will see if you have an alternator and/or battery problem. You don't need to have a dealer do just that. As I recall the last time I had a similar issue, I went to Sears and they loaded tested the car for free. I would think Pep Boys or similar would do that as well.

Good luck,

Bill

Volvoholic
03-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the input!
That's why I said disconnecting the battery sounded pretty sketchy to me lol

Only problem with me going to one of those places is that I'm currently located in LA and those places down here are sketchy at best not to mention I'm pretty sure the people have no clue what they're doing. Sadly, I won't be going back to the Bay Area for a while. But I'll look into it, I could be safe if I get lucky.

billr99
03-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the input!
That's why I said disconnecting the battery sounded pretty sketchy to me lol

Only problem with me going to one of those places is that I'm currently located in LA and those places down here are sketchy at best not to mention I'm pretty sure the people have no clue what they're doing. Sadly, I won't be going back to the Bay Area for a while. But I'll look into it, I could be safe if I get lucky.

I hear you but any monkey should be able to do a load/alternator test. Hardest part is figuring out where the red and black cables go.

Good luck,

Bill

Volvoholic
03-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Haha I'll be looking into it. Thanks again!

RockitShip
03-26-2012, 02:55 PM
A lot of the VIP, Autozone-type-stores will actually load test your system for free. Check it out.

Volvoholic
03-27-2012, 01:13 AM
I think there's something around here, not sure where but when I'm out doing errands tomorrow I'll find one. If not, I have to go to Volvo so maybe they'll load test it while I'm getting a quote for tires or something. If not, I'm actually going back to the Bay Area on Thursday so maybe my local Volvo dealer will do it for free and replace the alternator and battery for me. I still wonder if there's a way for me to be sure it is the alternator before I bring it to Volvo...

Volvoholic
03-27-2012, 09:30 PM
So, basically, the dealer in LA said they'd charge $74.95 for charging system and battery load test lol yea right...no other news to report though.

billr99
03-28-2012, 04:37 AM
So, basically, the dealer in LA said they'd charge $74.95 for charging system and battery load test lol yea right...no other news to report though.

That's nuts! As we said, there are other options whereby you can get the basic test for free. No real reason to pay for it beyond a token amount at the worse.

Cheers,

Bill

Volvoholic
04-03-2012, 11:53 PM
True, luckily I am up in NorCal until the 9th, near the Volvo dealer the car was originally and then resold at so I'm hoping to get there and get the other key replaced along with a load test at minimal to no charge. Otherwise, my ford dealer might do it for me, I have a connection at a Cadillac dealer that could possibly do it for me, etc...I love coming back here lol there's damn near no one in LA that can compare to the amount of niceness and favors people up here will do [thumbup]