PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Door Panels and Speakers

matt1122
03-23-2012, 09:18 PM
First, two questions:

1. Can replacement pins/clips be ordered separately?
2. Is there only one torx screw in the rear door panels?

And on to random stream of thought commentary. I replaced my front speakers today with some Pioneer 350W 4-way speakers and it is the best $50 I have ever spent on car audio. Tomorrow I will be replacing the rear speakers with the same. Unfortunately, it's been more of a hassle than I expected after I watched the Erie Vo Vo video and read the instructions for removing and installing the door panels.

The pins on my doors do not seem to be re-usable. They come out like this and I had to hammer them back in. They were covered in a thin layer of material to disguise them as a solid piece and now there are just indents in the center of each pin. Not all of the pins went back in perfectly, either.

Here's what they look like...

http://imgur.com/v6puB

Removing the speakers was only slightly easier. They are glued in and soldered to the contacts. They need to be turned clockwise to be removed, but this is impossible with the glue there so you have to pry them out with a screwdriver. All-in-all it took me about two hours to get the first one done and thirty minutes for the second (including removing and re-installing the door panels). This is already 5x as long as it took on my 850. Not really sure why they decided to make it so much more involved than it used to be.

Art
03-23-2012, 10:11 PM
The clips that hold the door panels in place were modified back in ’05. Here's a thread that demonstrates how to extricate those rascals and then re-use them.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?74153

If possible, I would look into replacing them with the ones used in the earlier MYs as they are much easier and quicker to remove. Only took me 5 minutes to completely remove the door panel in my '01XC.

The only torx screw in the rear door is located under the plastic cover inside the pocket of the door pull but you probably knew that already. ;)

matt1122
03-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks, Art!

Can the clips be ordered from Volvo parts? Does anyone know a part number?

matt1122
03-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Also, just did the rear speakers. They were worse than the fronts. I had to literally rip the speaker apart to get it out without breaking the speaker housing (which happened on one side before I figured this out for the second) and it took a LOT of effort to turn the speaker and remove it. These couldn't be pried out because they were a much tighter fit than the front doors.

The screws pioneer provides were also too long for the rear door speaker housings. I ended up using standard computer case screws, and they fit perfectly. Time will tell how well they hold up.

I still want to replace all of the pins, so if anyone knows the part number or where to order or what they're officially called it would be much appreciated. My searches have failed. I'd like to restore the gap between the panel and door itself back to Volvo/Audi/Mercedes level, as it is currently at "worse than a 95 Geo" level.

Art
03-24-2012, 10:27 AM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/99556d6b.jpg

#39964090 for the grey clips and #9164841 for the sleeves.

I believe that IPD also stocks these.

matt1122
03-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks again, Art!

Thames
05-18-2012, 05:48 AM
And on to random stream of thought commentary. I replaced my front speakers today with some Pioneer 350W 4-way speakers and it is the best $50 I have ever spent on car audio. Tomorrow I will be replacing the rear speakers with the same.

Hey Matt,

You replaced the stock HU650 speakers ?
Truly a great improvement?
I plan on getting these too... TS-A1684R

nlson77
02-24-2014, 07:18 PM
I tried removing the front which is easy, but I cant removed the back cover. Can anyone show me how pls...