PDA

View Full Version : Strut assembly parts and diagnosis

mariner
03-22-2012, 03:25 PM
I have rattle or loose part sound when going over bumps slow. I had it diagnosed a few months ago but cant find the paperwork on what it exactly is. I remember the cost to fix would have been around 750.00. The part was cheap but the labor was intensive apparently. I think the mechanic said it was the strut housing or bushing? Does anyone know what the parts of the strut assembly are, the parts needed to fix, the tools needed etc. Is the a job worth doing on my own or should I just suck it up and pay the 750.00 to fix the problem?

Astro14
03-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Sounds like strut bushing (it's common)...and it sounds like you're being quoted for either both sides or bushing + strut. Either way, this is a big job, and while possible for DIY, you'll need a set of spring compressors, and some big wrenches...

Personally? I would replace both sides at the same time, which will cost a lot more, and do the struts (which will cost parts only)...

mariner
03-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks! Is the strut bushing the same part as the strut seat IPD sells? Anything else you would replace while in this area of the car?

Thanks again!

howardc64
03-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks! Is the strut bushing the same part as the strut seat IPD sells? Anything else you would replace while in this area of the car?

Thanks again!

Struts is completely freed during the spring seat repair. If the current struts have 100k miles, might be a good time to replace it. ~$130 each side from online stores.

Everett
03-25-2012, 09:02 AM
How can I determine if the struts in my 05 xc70 are the regular type or the expensive ones with the electronic control?

billr99
03-25-2012, 11:25 AM
How can I determine if the struts in my 05 xc70 are the regular type or the expensive ones with the electronic control?

Pretty simple,really. 4C (electronic) struts have a wire coming off of them, toward the bottom as I recall, and the regular type do not. Do not confuse the ABS wire coming out of the hub for the 4C wire though.

Cheers,

Bill

n00bkiller944
03-25-2012, 07:52 PM
SOunds like spring seats to me!

mariner
03-27-2012, 03:47 PM
I ordered the parts except the struts. Would you recommend just sucking it up and replacing both front struts while I am doing this repair? I am looking at around 700.00 in parts if I do both struts and replace everything else.

billr99
03-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I ordered the parts except the struts. Would you recommend just sucking it up and replacing both front struts while I am doing this repair? I am looking at around 700.00 in parts if I do both struts and replace everything else.

If you have anything like 80K miles on these struts, you'd be better off just replacing them as they are getting toward the end of their life anyway.

Cheers,

Bill