PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Change Questions

Davidatthepoint
03-21-2012, 09:22 PM
I have the engine out of the write-off car. Split the tranny off. Pretty straight forward WITH THE ENGINE OUT OF THE CAR.........
The whole time I'm thinking this is going to be a whole other kettle of fish doing this in situ with the the engine tilted.

Here are my questions:

There doesn't seem to be any mention of greasing or oiling the the drive-shaft splines. My RH one looked like it had a red anti-corrosion coating and was completely dry. The LH one had some oil on the splines.

Should I keep the drive shafts with the tranny when I move it to my car?

Volvo has a part # for the grease used on the collar where the angle gear fits onto the tranny. Anyone know what kind of grease this is?

There is no mention in the Vadis of draining the tranny before removing it, I did anyway. Don't see why not.

Valve body. I did had the valve body rebuilt on my car but it made no difference....hence the tranny change. Should I put this valve body on the donor tranny? My gut tells me to do one thing at a time.....see how this tranny goes then maybe do it later.

Am I right in thinking as these are ser #00 trannies I don't need to do the
B4 servo cover? Thought I remembered seeing that somewhere although I did it on my car same time as I did the valve body......may switch that to the donor tranny as well.

Thanks for any help.

jda2000
03-22-2012, 06:28 AM
I would update the B4 servo cover when the tranny is out.

I would also put the rebuilt valve body in the replacement tranny.

Astro14
03-22-2012, 05:07 PM
There are multiple valve body plate codes for every year...and they are not interchangeable...so, short answer, NO, you can't just bolt the valve body up to this tranny...

Davidatthepoint
03-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Help guys.....still can't find info on front axle spline lubrication where they go into the transmission. Can't believe they go in dry.

Also any ideas for the grease on the sleeve where the angle gear fits onto the tranny.
Thanks

drnukeit
03-26-2012, 08:18 PM
I have always put a little grease on the splines on any car i have done. I have never had negative results using a little grease. Draining the tranny makes it easier to move around. But i am new to volvo, so im learning too. Just threw in what i have done in the past.

drnukeit
03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
I forgot. The two types of grease i have used were cv joint grease and/or grease shot into u joints. Always worked for me.

Davidatthepoint
03-27-2012, 12:41 PM
OK....this from 2 westcoast dealerships and IPD.......the splines go into the transmission dry.....still can't believe it.
I'm a helicopter guy and there are practically more splines than rivets on a helicopter. Any AME that put splines together dry would be hung, drawn and quartered !

billr99
03-27-2012, 01:06 PM
OK....this from 2 westcoast dealerships and IPD.......the splines go into the transmission dry.....still can't believe it.
I'm a helicopter guy and there are practically more splines than rivets on a helicopter. Any AME that put splines together dry would be hung, drawn and quartered !

Agree. I would think a bit of anti-seize if nothing else. Just to make sure things come apart later if need be.

Cheers,

Bill

Japedo
03-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Ive never greased axles before inserting them in a transmission. Never had issues...
That being said.... Little lube never hurt anybody!