PDA

View Full Version : replacing rear view mirror

stevepaa
03-19-2012, 07:34 PM
My auto dim mirror is going bad. I have an oval that is not dimmed. So I picked up a manual dim from a junker. I have taken it apart so I can switch the electric modules.

But it looks like this one had the direction indicator in it. I have not pulled mine out of the car yet. I wonder if I can mount that extra piece on my electrics?

stevepaa
03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
So I asked dealer about just reprogramming the manual dim mirror I picked up and they said it is not possible to put a manual dim mirror on a car that had autodim. Even a brand new mirror. Software issue.
And they said they have tried reprogamming same year mirrors and failed.

Seriously, is there an EE around here to look at this issue?

JRL
03-22-2012, 12:38 PM
You can't do it
You need to find a good used mirror from the SAME YEAR wagon and swap guts

stevepaa
03-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Did it.

Swapped electrics from back of mirrors and now I have manual dim mirror and all electrics work

Apparently there is a single flash EPROM on those boards.

Berkeley engineers find a way :)

billr99
03-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Did it.

Swapped electrics from back of mirrors and now I have manual dim mirror and all electrics work

Apparently there is a single flash EPROM on those boards.

And yet another victory for the imaginative DIY'er. Well done!

Cheers,

Bill

stevepaa
03-26-2012, 10:33 AM
If anybody else does this, you will likely want to shift the central pivot support mechanism from your auto dim to the manual backing. The manual will likely have a looser ball joint than your auto dim that was rarely moved.

Oh and as you slice the electrics off with a very sharp knife, do not cut yourself. Yeah, I did.

JRL
03-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Let me understand this, you swapped the guts from a electronic mirror and installed them in a manual mirror and it worked?!

stevepaa
03-26-2012, 02:23 PM
I took the mirrors apart. I removed the circuit boards from the backs of the mirrors. I put the circuit board from the auto dim mirror onto the back of the manual mirror. Then I swapped out the pivot mechanisim from auto dim (which in the auto dim is screwed into place and does not pivot) and put it into the manual body. Reassemble the manual mirror body and install into car.

RockitShip
03-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Nice! Where'd the manual dim mirror come off of? Model/year? [thumbup]

stevepaa
03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160761881191?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

99 - 04 VOLVO S80 S70 S60 REAR VIEW REARVIEW MIRROR MANUAL AUTO DIM FACTORY OEM

stevepaa
03-30-2012, 08:43 AM
found the company that will fix mirrors. ~$100

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-17/auto-dimming-rearveiw-mirror-replacement-17719/

Sybesma's Electronicss
851 Ottawa Ave, Suite 100
Holland, MI

Sybesma’s Electronics
616-392-6911

Darius200
09-28-2013, 02:58 AM
Hei guys,
I have found some time ago good video of showing how to open and repair volvo's dimming mirror... anyone has got a link???? Urgent please....

coflynn
09-28-2013, 04:14 AM
Hei guys,
I have found some time ago good video of showing how to open and repair volvo's dimming mirror... anyone has got a link???? Urgent please....

Don't know of a video... but this has a ton of photos: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=65495

FirstVolvo
09-29-2013, 08:20 AM
I’ve done this same swap from auto dim to manual dim rear view mirror and yes it does work. I’ve had a manual dim mirror for several years now and you can not only repair the rear view mirror another big benefit is the manual mirror is darker when in the dim position. This is why I did the swap in the first place, even with the auto dim mirror programmed to full dark there was still too much glare. I don’t know if it was just the auto dim mirror I had or what but the manual dim mirror is much better for night driving and made a big improvement reducing headlight glare.
For the swap, I removed the electronics board attached with 2 way adhesive foam from the original mirror using a plastic bone tool instead of a knife. I inserted the tool many times between the electronics board and adhesive tape to break the bond. I didn’t pry on the tool or board until the tool had been inserted all the way around, probably 15 to 20 times. This loosened the bond enough to remove the board and the plastic tool didn’t’ do any damage to the electronics board. If I had seen this post earlier I would have suggested this method as an alternative to a knife. Removing the electronics board was probably the trickiest task when doing this swap.

JRL
09-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Manual dimming mirrors are MUCH better (at least for Volvo)

swimNdrive
09-29-2013, 08:43 PM
I did an auto dim to auto dim mirror glass swap for my 2001 xc70 once. It was not very difficult by following the instructions on the net. I was very happy with the solution. I got the mirror from eBay for about $50. Based on the sticker on the mirror, it was manufactured in 2005. It was looking very good when I got it. However, after about a year, the mirror glass went bad again. That car was totaled before I had a chance to replace it again. Now I just bought a 2004 XC70, the auto dim mirror is looking very good so far. If I need to replace it in the future, long lasting will be my choice. I will try to swap it with a manual.