PDA

View Full Version : oil in the spark plug hole. cam cover removal

Brown Dog
03-14-2012, 09:10 PM
I changed my spark plugs yesterday and found oil in my number 5 cylinder plug hole. Im thinking about trying to re-torque the bolt for the cam cover, could someone please specify the torque specs for these bolts or point me to a document?
I see that the 'gasket' is actually just a liquid sealer. Are their also O-rings that go in for the spark plug holes?

Im looking for the procedure for removing the cam cover but I have read that their are possibly some special instructions for doing this, can anyone confirm this?

billr99
03-15-2012, 04:14 AM
I changed my spark plugs yesterday and found oil in my number 5 cylinder plug hole. Im thinking about trying to re-torque the bolt for the cam cover, could someone please specify the torque specs for these bolts or point me to a document?
I see that the 'gasket' is actually just a liquid sealer. Are their also O-rings that go in for the spark plug holes?

Im looking for the procedure for removing the cam cover but I have read that their are possibly some special instructions for doing this, can anyone confirm this?

More than likely it is due to a worn oil cap seal. Very common on the white blocks. I change mine out every 3-4 oil changes as they are less than a $1 apiece as I recall. Also it could be your PVC hose or its clamp but less likely than the seal.

Cheers,

Bill

Brown Dog
03-15-2012, 07:38 AM
It's definitely leaking from the spark plug hole seal if their is one. I don't know if this uses the o-rings or just the liquid dealer.

Anyone know the torque specs for the cover bolts or the procedure for removal?

bussdriver
05-15-2012, 10:48 PM
I have the same problem but with 3 of them. its oil at the top and oil in the plug hole. I think it has to be from the o ring seals if it made it to the bottom of the 3 plugs.

Well, if I open it, I need to do a lot of stuff so it better work.
The process requires a couple custom made tools to pull it off. So far the best description I've found is in my Haynes manual 4263: 2A-12. The volvo sealer is for 4-5 cars and costs about $40 something. the seals were not cheap either. like $15 for 5 of them.

So far I've made something to position the top cam cover using some threaded rod welded into some smashed spark plugs and some nuts. That will let me control the height of the thing. I found online somebody saying a small mini paint roller will put the sealer on... and I have to rig up something to hold the cam shafts in place since the cover also presses them down against the valves.

This is where I am at so far in the process. The book is ok. I found some VADS stuff but it didn't seem to add much to the book and nothing gave me specific torque amounts for the "flange screw" for the cam cover. I'm guessing it is 10Nm.

I also am in need of a good replacement wire cover for the plug lines because mine crumbled off. electrical tape will work I'm told so I'm planning to use that.

Any additional details on the process would be nice. when I finally do it I can post details of my experience.