PDA

View Full Version : Detailing/ Professional Waxing?

coastal
12-09-2001, 05:15 PM
Anyone had their car detailed or professionally waxed before?

My buddy just got his bimmer done by a local company in North Vancouver and the results are absolutely stunning. Hence, I'm booking my appointment first thing Monday morning!

Anyone have it done, and is there anything I should be wary of? These guys sound like they're real pros, but I just want to see if there's anything I should be cautious of, perhaps specific to the XC?

V70Sam
12-10-2001, 09:43 AM
Everyone has a different idea of good work when it comes to car cleaning I have found.

I personally, HATE any application of Armorall or similar prodicts to my car's interior/exterior as it just looks bad, and collects dust and feals like grease.  

I also find that some detailers work very fast and don't do a complete job.  Keep your eye on them and make sure that when tthey wax your car, they get every metal part, not just the middle 80% of evey body panel.

A good detailer will use as little cleaning stuff as possible on the interior of a car.   Three steps to restoring the interior to new condition are 1)vacuum very, very good. 2)use a static dust cloth and clean paint brush to get the dust out of all cracks and off the dash and a/c vents.  3) use a warm moise towl (water) to wipe the dash and all seats down.  If they need deeper cleaning, use soapy water, then whip down with wet (not drenched) cotton towel.  Do no use cheap paper towels as they leave lint in the car.

I personally haven't seen many detail shops that can do a better job that I can, but then I like this kind of stuff.

coastal
12-10-2001, 09:59 AM
That's what I was concerned about too but it sounds like these guys are absolute artists.

Here he was giving my buddy a complete schooling on auto paints and their characteristics, showing him where there was still packaging glue on the finish which should have been taken off during the PDI, etc etc.

This will be my first time leaving the waxing to someone else so I'm a little hesitant, but these guys do really sound like they know what they're doing, so I guess we'll see!

Agreed on the ArmourAll.. can't stand the stuff.:)

V70Sam
12-10-2001, 02:01 PM
Just curious, how much is this setting you back? and are they doing inside the car too?

coastal
12-10-2001, 02:13 PM
They haven't seen my car yet so couldn't give me a quote but my friend's white 2000 bmw cost around &#36200 CAD with everything, a great deal considering the quality (I think at least).

He brought in another friend with the same bmw in black and I think it cost closer to &#36400 because of a few dents and some pretty big swirlies on the paint.

I'd guess mine will cost somewhere in the middle, say &#36300-350 CAD?

Included wash, claybar treatment, a very meticulous waxing and polishing job, full interior cleaning and leather treatment. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

V70Sam
12-10-2001, 05:51 PM
For that kind of money, they sound first class.  My brother in law just had his 2000 Bentley Azure done in a similar way and that only cost &#36300 US, and that's for a &#36360,000 (US) car.  

Let me know how it looks.

saabstory
12-10-2001, 05:53 PM
Coastal,

I've actually been planning on getting mine done for a couple months now and just haven't found the time. That was until last week (finding it, not getting it). My car's being done Tuesday, Dec 11th. I found a wide range of prices in my area (from US&#36100-&#36200), and finally chose a mid-priced detailer (who sounded much more experienced and capable -- something like 20 years in the business).

Can't wait to compare notes!

--Adam

coastal
12-10-2001, 05:58 PM
I'll try and get some before and after photos, though I'm not too sure how much you'll be able to tell from a photograph.

http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

GenXCer
12-11-2001, 01:26 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyone have it done, and is there anything I should be wary of? ...anything I should be cautious of, perhaps specific to the XC?
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I had overspray on a new car in 1998 and found a great detailer here in Houston. &nbsp;This guy was located right behind the Rolls Royce/Bentley dealer and I felt really in good hands (as he did all the prep work for the RR cars). &nbsp;He took a clay bar to my car (which was very bad) and took his time (which is what I look for in a detailer - someone who doesn't rush). &nbsp;If we're swaping information - I'm looking for any good detailers in the mid New Jersey area. &nbsp;Thanks all :biggrin:

coastal
12-11-2001, 01:56 AM
Mine's going in Monday or Tuesday next week, didn't realize how busy these places are at this time of year. :o

GenXCer
12-11-2001, 12:03 PM
Speaking of waxing...do you think I should have my new XC waxed? &nbsp;You know I'm taking it for a long trip shortly. &nbsp;I was wondering given this and the impending cold weather - whether I should have a good wax job done. &nbsp;I DID read in the manual that automatic car washes (which I don't use anyway) should not be used for the first 6 months to let the pain harden entirely. &nbsp;Does this affect any other care techniques for the car, such as wax or a professional detailing service?

coastal
12-11-2001, 03:27 PM
I was told by the dealer to wait 3-6 months after the build date of the car before the first waxing.

On another note, just spoke with the detailer... gave me a half an hour lecture over the phone on what they do and why... can't wait til Monday morning!

If anyone from the Vancouver area is interested, the place is called Distinctive Detailing in North Vancouver, talk to John at (604) 985-8655!

saabstory
12-12-2001, 03:46 PM
Wow! What a difference a detail makes! I didn't take pictures because it's just like the first day I rolled it over the curb at the dealership. Everyone should remember theirs. :biggrin:

I'm sure every detailer misses an area or two from time to time. Mine missed the bottom edge of the tailgate (only visible when open) and a couple colored scuffs on the inside of the rear cargo area pillars didn't come out (or they missed them). It was late when I picked it up, so I didn't say anything. I should be able to get the scuffs out myself, and the tailgate edge will just take a towel swipe.

Oh, the outside plastic trim looks great (for now, we'll see how it holds up) and it was a little white-washed on the rear bumper. (I had always attributed that to hard water) The inside plastic isn't glossy -- thankfully because I forgot to mention not to &quot;armorall&quot; it -- the pro's knows I guess.

Coastal, can't wait to hear how yours goes. Oh, be sure to take in your carpet floor mats if you're currently using winter ones. They steam cleaned them in addition to cleaning the rubber mats, without a second thought.

--Adam

coastal
12-17-2001, 10:36 PM
Got the car back today... I second Adam's response.. WOW!

Amazing what a wax job can do for the look of a car.

In terms of products they used 3M waxes and polish, and Lexol on the leather.

Lexol on the seats works wonders.. go find some!

Just a great job all around, the car almost feels brand new as long as I don't look down at the odometer. :biggrin:

Art
12-19-2001, 03:29 PM
Hey Coastal, Adam, or anyone else out there ,who, has just recently or in the past, had their XC detailed,

Just wanted to check to see if and how the detailers went about cleaning the engine compartment of your cars. Also, which method do you prefer when washing your car in subzero weather...hand wand or automatic touchless? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

coastal
12-20-2001, 06:17 PM
My detailer didn't touch the engine bay. My dealer does the engine shampoo at specific service intervals, I think the last one was at 10,000km or so.

It's risky on some cars, a risk I guess some detailers would rather not take.

I haven't thought about washing the car when it's freezing out. We don't get long stretches below 0C, so it's not a problem here.

I'd probably do the no-touch route if confronted with the situation though.

saabstory
12-21-2001, 11:02 AM
I had the option with the detailer, and I asked him to stay out. I haven't had my dealer touch it yet either, but now that I know they can shampoo it (that just sounds so weird to say, I had to repeat it) I'll check it out.

--Adam