PDA

View Full Version : aren't front wheel supposed to be locked in parking position?

bg2128506
02-25-2012, 06:24 PM
RESOLVED: wheel are rotating in the opposite directions when being turned, which is normal.

Hi
I am fighting the driver side front suspension noise (or at least I think it is the suspension). The car is 2001 xc70 with 230k on it.
It rattles badly, like a bag of bolts and nuts, started first in the morning then were gone in 10 minutes, now never stops.

Visual inspection revealed blown left strut, leaking. Which I victoriously replaced, but nothing changed. In fact, became more bad.

Next, control arm bushings were disintegrated, so I replaced today the while control arm. Cautious to claim the triumph. Sure thing, it still rattles like an old trash bag.

10 minutes ago I lifted front wheels up in the air (rear drive propeller shaft is removed before, victoriously). In the parking position my from wheels rotate freely, together. Is my transmission, which jerks from 2nd to 3rd shifting, is making fun of me and is about to die? Should it lock the wheels in the parking????

Please enlighten.
Thanks, bg.

Seamus
02-25-2012, 10:02 PM
does your other wheel turn in the opposite direction when you turn?

Does it roll away when in park...?

JRL
02-25-2012, 10:13 PM
English would help here!
You sound like Yoda

Jorge-789995
02-25-2012, 10:46 PM
I agree with Seamus. If the other wheel rotates opposite of the one you are turning, then no problem.

If the car roll down the driveway while in Park, the you likely have a drive axle issue if not worse, but start with the drive axle.

Keith

bg2128506
02-26-2012, 01:41 AM
With front lifted, if I rotate the wheel, the other side rotates in the same direction. I'll double check in the morning though, as well as if the car rolls on the driveway, which I had never noticed, perhaps because I first put in into the park, then engage the parking break, then release the brake pedal.

I replaced recently right front side rubber boot over the CV-joint, and the joint looked good. Although there are about 10-20 degrees of play, on both sides, once you turn the wheel until it engages (in the transmission?).

Anyway, I ran out of ideas for the left side "bag of bolts" suspension noise: replaced strut, control arm, upper strut bushing is ok, antiroll bar link is tightened well, steering arm steering arm knuckle is tightened well too, ball joint is ok.

I have been having the problems with upshifting from 2nd to 3rd for a few months already, the engine revving and 3rd engages with a frightening jerk. So, connecting the dots, could the front noise, wheels rotating in the park, and the transmission aging be a part of the one big thing?

I'll take the car to the shop next week, but still love to hear your opinions, like the Yoda one.

I seem to have started, like one's saying here, spending more time under the car than with my wife...

thanks, bg.

bg2128506
02-26-2012, 10:27 AM
My mistake, the wheel are rotating in the opposite directions when turned in park. So the original subject of the discussion has been resolved. Sorry for the false alarm, and I will try to research more regarding the suspension noise, or will open another thread.

thanks, bg