PDA

View Full Version : ECC System light flashing

Aikomama
02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Hi all! I just bought my first Volvo. It's a 98 V70 XC. I'm slightly mechanically inclined (oil changes, dist cap, regular maintenance stuff) but nothing crazy. When I start the car the Recirc And Ac Off lights flash. I looked in my manual and it says it's a fault in the ECC system and to take it to a Volvo dealership. Does anyone have anything that I could possibly try to make this stop? I'm hoping it's nothing major but I don't even know where to start. I also noticed that the heat and fans blow but the heat only blows warm...never hot. The AC works fine. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Oh...I want to note that I tried researching this and tried blowing into the vent with compressed air to clean out the fan. I did it and the lights still flash. The blower and everything work just fine as well.

Thanks so much!!
-Jackie :)

JRL
02-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Is the water temp in the middle (3:00)?
If it's the top dash (ECC) controller, I have a used one you can have for $25 shipped.
You may need to take it to Volvo for a correct definitive diagnosis before you just go throwing parts at it

Aikomama
02-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Water temp? The temp level is always at about 3:00. The car never runs hot always avg.

BEJinFBK
02-17-2012, 02:54 PM
There are a number of things that call trip an ECC blinky show.
But since it's a Volvo proprietary diagnostic system, a basic OBD II
reader won't see the codes. You'll need a Volvo specific scanner.
Could be the temp sensor that you talked about, the blower, blower
speed power stage, any of the sensors, flapper motors, etc.

You can download the wiring digrams and start eliminating possibilites
yourself or just knuckle under and take it in. Many independent Volvo shops
are equipped with the right scanners, so you aren't limited to a dealer.

You can get the whole book of diagrams here:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo-wiring-diagrams/

Have a look at PDF pages:
90-91 and 276-277