PDA

View Full Version : Need body work on my xc

xcool
03-13-2004, 09:21 PM
I had a small incident in a parking garage this weekend, and dented the driver side fender and front door on my less than 2 months old xc. Does any one know of a good body shop in the New York City five boros area? Feel free to reply to this post or private message. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks very much.

bouvier
03-14-2004, 10:27 AM
My wife backed into a tree protector the second week we had our XC '03. It put a good sized dent above the clading in the rear pasg door. We checked the cost or repair here in the city and upstate where we spend half our time. In the end we found them to be only $100 apart and ended up having it done at the dealer, Martin Volvo in Man. As I recall it was about $1100. We carry $1000. deductable so it was all out of pocket. As the car gets older I think I'll use a local body shop that I think would be half the cost. By the way we priced the repair at Bay Ridge Volvo and it was a little more than Martin.

Hope this helps.

Al

AWD*V70XC
03-14-2004, 10:45 AM
IF you have not broken the paint skin on the door you might be able to get a 'car magician' to pull the dent out and leave the fender if it is not to bad, as the fender is wrap around you will have to replace the whole lot and that is big bucks $$$.

If you have broken the paint skin, apply some petroleum jelly to the area to avoid the bare metal becoming rusty. For the sake of your car, the dealer can match the paint color like no one else so it would be worth it to have them do it.

Volvo's are not cheap cars to have repaired http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

xcool
03-14-2004, 05:15 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In the end we found them to be only &#036;100 apart and ended up having it done at the dealer, Martin Volvo in Man. As I recall it was about &#036;1100. We carry &#036;1000. deductable so it was all out of pocket. As the car gets older I think I&#39;ll use a local body shop that I think would be half the cost. By the way we priced the repair at Bay Ridge Volvo and it was a little more than Martin.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks bouvier, are you happy with the job they did at Martin Volvo?

xcool
03-14-2004, 05:20 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
If you have broken the paint skin, apply some petroleum jelly to the area to avoid the bare metal becoming rusty. For the sake of your car, the dealer can match the paint color like no one else so it would be worth it to have them do it.

Thanks. Do you think it really makes a difference between going to a Volvo dealer or any good body shop? I always think that the dealer usually just subcontract the work out to a body shop anyway. I don&#39;t have a problem paying a little more money (dealer or not), I just want to find someone who will do a good job.

I have a metallic silver color, is that very hard to match?

gibbons
03-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Dang, bad news: metallic silver is the very hardest to match. &nbsp;That&#39;s why I don&#39;t buy metallic paint cars anymore, just white. &nbsp;Boring, maybe, but if I ever do need work, the match is a lot easier. &nbsp;

Usually, the body shop at the dealer is just there to pound out quick repairs on trades and auction purchases. &nbsp;Look in the yellow pages for the shops that cater to collector car people and restorers. &nbsp;They usually have the craftsmen.

Really good shops use really good materials, like Glasurit paint. &nbsp;I had to have some work done on my grey truck, so I took off one of the little gas cap doors. &nbsp;I FedEx&#39;ed it to their laboratories, where they did a computer analyzed custom formula for me, even though the color was listed in their standard formulas. &nbsp;It was a tiny bit different. &nbsp;

Good luck. &nbsp;Oh, yeah, don&#39;t let them butt paint the fender, that is paint a full coat up to the door joint. &nbsp;Make them fade it or it will for sure be obvious.

bouvier
03-14-2004, 09:14 PM
XCOOL:

I think Martin did good work ... BTW our XC is also silver.

They were also able to fix a computer prob that two other dealers upstate could not get done.

But keep in mind that these are the same guys that want &#036;595 for the 15,000 mile service .... more than dbl Bay Ridge Volvo.

Bouvier

xcool
03-15-2004, 09:26 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
I think Martin did good work ... BTW our XC is also silver.

Thanks for the recommendation. &nbsp;I will probably talk to them and Bay Ridge which I bought my car from. &nbsp;I did have an issue with Martin (Honda) when I used to own a Honda. &nbsp;I won&#39;t get into details here but I&#39;m paranoid about dealers who tries to sell you service that you don&#39;t need. &nbsp;I guess body work is a little different, it&#39;s more about who does the best work.

Thanks also to gibbons for your advice.