PDA

View Full Version : DIY angle gear bearings.

vova
01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
It is one of the older posts. I added a few important numbers and links and maybe for someone it could be of some help.
Many asked for the bearing part #- it is in the end of the post.
Also a lot asked about symptoms that i experienced when my Angle gear died; here it is:
It all started from the small tickling noise that i was not able to identify at first. I looked all over for it but it was no where to be found. The bad part-i was not constant so after a couple tries i just gave up. In two weeks the noise started to be more laud and this time it was more like a winter tire rolling on a dry pavement. due to my school staff i did not have enough time to look for it and just decided to send it all to hell. the noise was coming from the front left of the car so i thought it is a tranny( my car is 01 with 145K at that time and I decided that my love story with A/T ends right there and even started to look for a used tranny) One more week and the noise turned into more pronounced slightly metalic grinding which was better heard on very low speeds(1-5mph) and was intermediate. put car on a lift and started to turn left front wheel back and forth while friend was near the angle gear area-noise was pinpointed and we took the angle gear out.

Hello,friends! I am very glad to tell you that finally i was able to finish my project on replacing the bearings in transfer case. After finishing the project and 2000 miles after i can finally can say it was successful. So don`t be afraid to do it yourself. Sorry no pictures... i was very short on time and work was done in a few stretch in time episodes..( thanks to 98XC for 3 month of sincere work with 0 problems). So at least i will try to post a few advices and descriptions that might be helpful for someone who want to do it himself. Honestly speaking in Rochester,NY i was not able to find no one who was ready to do the job and provide me with warranty. Few tranny shops just politely send me to hell and few others said that Volvo is a beast and they are afraid even to be around them. One mechanic from so-so shop quoted me $450 labor, but after i looked at his shop from inside i decided to do the job myself..
here is the steps that i done.maybe someone will find it interesting and helpful
Do not know how to post a picture of bevel gear so please refer to this link
http://www.brickboard.com/AWD/index....357&show_all=1 (big Thanks to the one who made it)
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?147645-Angle-gear-modification (this one is great too)
1. Following the DIY guidelines from this site i was able to remove the bevel gear from the car.
1.2 Drain old oil.
2. Using the cheap paint thinner from Home Depot I cleaned the outside of the bevel gear( tried all the degrease options and found this method the most economical and practical) Recommend to buy a few short stiff paint brushes. Apply thinner in a spray form( used a bottle from tire gloss) and let it work 10 minutes before starting to scrape a clean.(grease that formed over the years on top of it is very stubborn-thanks volvo for such great turbo oil seals.. )
3. After outside was all cleaned I unscrewed the nut from the shaft that was connected to the rear drive shaft #8 on the picture was removed as a result of it.
4. Unscrew bolts that hold the two parts of case together.(do not rush to take it apart, do it slowly.
5. after this you will have 3 parts a) left side of the bevel gear with output shaft still in it, b) the right side of the case , c) inner crown wheel
6. Before proceeding take a few minutes to determine what was wrong with your bevel gear.Inspect the bearing housing for signs of wear and damage, look at the lowest part of the bevel gear near the drain plug for any metal particles, inspect the crown wheel for wear( highly unlikely that it will be damage but...) The most important part here is to inspect the part that connect the bevel gear and tranny. Leave the connecting sleeve for future but look at connecting teeth(splines on the crown wheel. If there is nothing left- no need to proceed further.either buy a used bevel gear or convert it to the 2WD.
7. If all looked OK and you were not able to find any defects the reason for the bad sound is most likely the connecting sleeve inner splines or bearings on output shaft.
8. In order to remove the output shaft from housing put the two sides of your bevel gear on wood pieces, so it will be elevated from the table or floor and using the wood over the outside of the shaft easily tap with hummer until removed.
9. Clean the inside of the bevel gear using same thinner. Do not stress to much over it now because you will have to remove the bearing housings from it.
10. remove the old bearing housings from the bevel gear( I used flat screw driver and light hammer..very easy to remove..be careful some bearings housings have shims so do not mix them.
11. Forget to mention try to remove all seal very carefully so you will be able to take them with you to your local bearing/seal warehouse and they will try to help you with replacement. Because volvo seals are EXPENSIVE!!!( So do not make my mistake!!!)
12. You will need to separate the bearings from the output shaft and main shaft. For this purpose i used large bearing separator.
13. Clean all parts that you will reuse.
14. I started with pressing a new inner bearing into the output shaft. In order to do this job I used a 20 ton shop press(http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-...ess-32879.html) the output shaft is long. and you will need to get a piece of pipe in order to be able to press the bearing all the way down. I was lucky to find a proper piece in the Advance Auto parts exhaust corner.it fit just perfectly over the inner housing of the bearing and allowed me to do the job.
15. In order to press the outer bearing of the output shaft you will need a help of a friend. Instal the new inner bearing housing into the angle gear body(usually they just easy slide into place but sometimes you will need to use an old bearing housing to put new into the place.) Then put something beneath the angle housing so the output shaft will be facing up. Your friend will support this construction while you will put pretension sleeve and the outer bearing housing into the angle gear body. Then start to press new bearing with the help of old bearing and pipe of proper size.(you can use large sockets too.) Instal metal washer and outer shaft seal.
16. Instal output shaft connection to the rear wheels shaft and secure it with the nut.(do not be scared if the bearings will not turn easy. But at the same time do not over tight them too.( I used an old pretension sleeve so when i tight the nut with the air gun i was surprised that output shaft was very hard to turn. I decided that it was my mistake and lose the nut a little so the shaft starts to move normally.However when i put all together and draw a 200 feet i start to hear bumping noise from angle gear area.When i put the car on a lift again i discover that output shaft was "playing" and i had to take once again prop shaft and re tight the nut..so maybeit is better to use new sleeve..do not know..but be prepared.)
17. Install the bearings of the main shaft. The connection sleeve between gear and A/T is perfect helper for this job. Used the same press.
18. install new drive shaft seals inside the right side of the "main shaft"
19. Use a little gasket maker between two pieces of the "angle body" and tight them together.
20. mark the location of the right backlash nut. Use a tire iron lever to do this.works great.
21. replace the O ring seal on backlash nut
22. tight it back to where your marks are( in my case i needed to tight the nut 4 teeth more because of the "play" in main shaft of the angle gear against output shaft. use your judgement so the unit can rotate normally via hand.
23 Install seals on the right and left side of the angle gear main shaft. Be careful with that because they have a tendency to leek if bent a little.
24. put new oil inside( 34$ 1L from Volvo)
will update with the bearing numbers

Ok Sorry that it took me so long:
All Bearings are made by TIMKEN.
Those bearings are for the Angle Gear with SKF/Koyo combination of bearings.
32010X 90KA1-----You will need 2 of those.This are the replacement for SKF bearings that located "X" axis or on the sides of angle gear near the connecting sleeve and pretension ring.

32007X 90KA1--- this is inner bearing for the output shaft originally Koyo

32006X 92KA1---outer bearing of the output shaft, originally Koyo.

I hope it will be helpful for someone.