PDA

View Full Version : Need additional ignition key

davidbir
01-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Hello all, my first post here despite being a "lurker" for several years.
We just purchased a 2007 XC70 from California-we are in Canada-and have only the one -master- key. The dealer parts guy said it would be "about $500" for another key! What is the solution? I have seen blank keys, part #S66NN for sale on ebay but a quick check suggests that is not the correct key.
Any and all help appreciated.

saynoto29ers
01-31-2012, 07:45 AM
I spent about $150 on a pair of keys from the dealership. They have to be programmed to match the car. $500 seems steep.

Xilikon
01-31-2012, 08:10 AM
I spent about $150 on a pair of keys from the dealership. They have to be programmed to match the car. $500 seems steep.

Agreed.

I lost my only key and FOB last week so I ordered 2 new keys and a new FOB which cost me a total of 507$ including programming and tax.

A single master key with programming is about 200$ top and I saved 100$ by buying 2 keys since programming is charged once.

davidbir
01-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Agreed.

I lost my only key and FOB last week so I ordered 2 new keys and a new FOB which cost me a total of 507$ including programming and tax.

A single master key with programming is about 200$ top and I saved 100$ by buying 2 keys since programming is charged once.

That sounds like $500 if the transmitter part is included and I have to have that don't I?
Can an owner manage with just the service key?

Xilikon
01-31-2012, 10:04 AM
That sounds like $500 if the transmitter part is included and I have to have that don't I?
Can an owner manage with just the service key?

FOB = small remote to open and close doors. Not required at all if all you want is a single key. Service key as in valet key ? AFAIK, there is no valet key because it require programming to start the car and without it, all it does is open and close doors and glove box.

wgriswold
01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
My 2003 came with a valet key that will operate everything except the glove box lock. I keep it in the glove box in case I lose my key. I bought a key from the dealer but it is not programmed and will not start the car. It will open the door and is hidden on the outside of the car to be used when I inevitably lose my keys.

Ars Gladius
01-31-2012, 11:47 AM
FOB = small remote to open and close doors. Not required at all if all you want is a single key. Service key as in valet key ? AFAIK, there is no valet key because it require programming to start the car and without it, all it does is open and close doors and glove box.

My understanding was that the Valet key, only started the car and unlocked the door, but would not unlock any keyed storage area or trunk of the vehicle (physically, not electronically), as a Valet only needed to drive the car to park it.

The standard keys, with the built in remote unlock, are fully functional for all areas.

Both key types have transmitters in them and both need to be programed into the car.

I don't think that Volvo offers a bare driver key for our cars (could be wrong). The Valet key would work, however like I mentioned, it physically can not lock/unlock the keyed storage areas (glove box, etc).

Xilikon
01-31-2012, 12:41 PM
I was thinking about mine which does only have the glove box which should be locked with a valet key. I did get 2 normal keys and wonder if a valet key is worthwhile or not ?

billr99
01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
I was thinking about mine which does only have the glove box which should be locked with a valet key. I did get 2 normal keys and wonder if a valet key is worthwhile or not ?
I've only used mine once and that was when it was actually used by a valet. Not that I had anything much in my glovebox. Guess I didn't want to take the chance on my maps and owners manual being ripped off. :D

Cheers,

Bill

davidbir
01-31-2012, 04:48 PM
My car is a 2007-isn't the key 'system' more sophisticated on those?

My real question is: Can I manage a 2007 XC70 without the (expensive) remote?

JRL
01-31-2012, 05:37 PM
A switchblade key-remote really should not cost more than $400 retail.
I pay about $295 (wholesale) for one of those (all programmed).

I can get you one at wholesale and also have the key cut, but you still will have to go to your dealer for software and their "labor" charge to do it.
I'm not sure, it would probably be in the higher $200s and you should not have to pay more than 100-125 for the rest as they will probably rip you over the coals for not buying the unit itself from their parts dept!

davidbir
01-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Many thanks for that JRL :)
I am sure you all realise that things in Canada tend to be more expensive than the States so hence the "about $500" I was quoted.

I should come clean here and admit that I worked for my local dealership for many years and have a good relationship with them still but the price of those keys gives me concern. I have contacted the selling dealership of my car in an effort to contact the original owners and see if they still have the key(s). Privacy issues make it difficult of course.

I may take you up on your offer JRL...

Ars Gladius
01-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Since you are in Van, what about driving across the border to get a key at a US dealer in Seattle? You won't see the infamous "Because it's Canada , eh" surcharge.

Though I don't know if the gas, tolls, etc is worth the difference for just a key, but if you are going anyway for something else might work out. You could always call and get a price.

Closest one is about 200 KM:

Sandberg Northwest Volvo
17025 Washington 99, Lynnwood, WA 98037, United States
+1 425-741-1400 ‎

saynoto29ers
01-31-2012, 06:56 PM
FYI, my price was for the pair of keys only. I bought a new key fob as my original broke from IPD. I took the guts out of the old one and put it into the new fob. I bought two keys for the same reason as stated earlier. I had to "buy" the software and it was good for as many keys as I wanted, provided they were bought then.

Xilikon
02-01-2012, 07:43 AM
I am sure you all realise that things in Canada tend to be more expensive than the States so hence the "about $500" I was quoted.

I should come clean here and admit that I worked for my local dealership for many years and have a good relationship with them still but the price of those keys gives me concern. I have contacted the selling dealership of my car in an effort to contact the original owners and see if they still have the key(s). Privacy issues make it difficult of course.

I may take you up on your offer JRL...

My quoted price was in Canada as well (Quebec) so I find the OP pricing a bit expensive.

davidbir
02-01-2012, 10:59 AM
I have contacted the selling dealership of my car in an effort to contact the original owners and see if they still have the key(s). Privacy issues make it difficult of course.

well, fat chance! Does anybody here in California have access to such information? I don't give up easily!

davidbir
02-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Well, I seem to have come up with a reasonably priced answer on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260942160003?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=260942160003&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr

This is a Volvo dealership selling parts at deep discount! I will get the key coded up here.

I notice that several people on ebay are selling used Volvo remotes-apparently these are useless because they cannot be changed (?)

callouscrab
02-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks davidbir. I was in the same boat as you and had only 1 key+fob. After procrastinating for quite some time, I decided to take the plunge and order the keys from the link you posted. I ordered a pair of them since the cost for programming is the same for 1 or 2!

davidbir
02-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the response not so callous crab.
I phoned the ebay contact and he sounded like a decent guy so I ordered one as well.

I am intrigued that there are several sellers of used Volvo key fobs on ebay yet my understanding is that they cannot be reprogrammed and anyway the key is cut to the wrong code for your car. Also, there is zero return policy with some of these guys. Caveat Emptor...

davidbir
02-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Just an update: The key I purchased from the ebay listing arrived and is working fine! When I took it to the local dealer and told them I had bought it in ebay they were initially aghast until they saw the key-in the packaging- and agreed that it was a genuine Volvo part--sold at very close to the dealer's cost apparently!

JRL
02-12-2012, 07:12 PM
I beat you [thumbup]
I just got one for $140, but that INCLUDED both softwares and cutting the key
All have to pay is a "labor charge" of $40 to have it mated to the car
(That's dead dealer cost, they owed me a favor)

Xheart
02-14-2012, 06:17 PM
JRL's numbers are close, if you want a duplicate made.

calhanian
04-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Just wanting to know if this sounds legit - I too only have one key left and the remote buttons take a fair amount of pressure to activate- so I need to replace before I get locked out again.

I decided it was worth it to spend the $500 the dealer wanted for a replacement key - when I went in they told me they would have to reverse cut my key and do something else b/c my ignition did not match my VIN. Apparently the door locks match the VIN.

When I bought the car new from a dealership in 2006 I thought it odd that the valet key would open the doors, but would not start the car. I also thought it odd that the switchblade key would not open the door and that I had to use the FOB part of it.

If I remember right - they said thats how Volvo's worked.

The new dealership said it is likely they switched out the ignition for some reason.

Thanks in advance