PDA

View Full Version : A couple of issues after replacing struts/spring seats/strut mount plates

howardc64
01-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Observed the following on various suspension efforts recently

Got some random clunks during slow large angle turns (especially over uneven surface). For example, into a drive way or in the parking lot. Turns out the nut/bolt bolting the struts to the steering knuckle had loosened a bit. I guess either new bolts or lock-tite is in order whenever this bolt/nut is loosened.

Despite tightening down the cross pattern nut that holds down the spring seat during strut reassembly. When the full weight of the car was put on the strut/spring assembly for a few days, the cross patterned nut needed to be tightened further. Luckly, one can just remove the top nut (wrench it off while holding the center shaft still with a torx socket), tighten the cross patterned nut and put the washer+top nut back.

Anyone else observed these symptoms?

Ars Gladius
01-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Got some random clunks during slow large angle turns (especially over uneven surface). For example, into a drive way or in the parking lot. Turns out the nut/bolt bolting the struts to the steering knuckle had loosened a bit. I guess either new bolts or lock-tite is in order whenever this bolt/nut is loosened.

The lower strut bolts must be replaced, as per VIDA, as they are angled tightened. Also the self locking nuts must be replaced, also as per VIDA.

Despite tightening down the cross pattern nut that holds down the spring seat during strut reassembly. When the full weight of the car was put on the strut/spring assembly for a few days, the cross patterned nut needed to be tightened further. Luckly, one can just remove the top nut (wrench it off while holding the center shaft still with a torx socket), tighten the cross patterned nut and put the washer+top nut back.

Didn't notice any myself after the front end rebuild I did in the fall. Now you have me wanting to go out a check that tomorrow, just in case. [sly]

sjonnie
01-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Turns out the nut/bolt bolting the struts to the steering knuckle had loosened a bit. I guess either new bolts or lock-tite is in order whenever this bolt/nut is loosened.
Wow! That's one of the tightest bolts on the car (105Nm +90degrees), hard to believe it can come loose. VADIS does suggest replacing that bolt every time but that's surely a joke, not only does it have to be loosed to do the camber alignment it seems to be necessary to remove it every time work needs doing on the front suspension. I've never replaced it and had no issues.

Ocean Racer
01-30-2012, 01:04 AM
I had the head mechanic at my local dealer do mine with new struts.
I was getting some noises from the new struts so he installed some washers and re-tightened. Noises went away.
Also to keep note that the strut needs to be super tight.

Astro14
01-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Wow! That's one of the tightest bolts on the car (105Nm +90degrees), hard to believe it can come loose. VADIS does suggest replacing that bolt every time but that's surely a joke, not only does it have to be loosed to do the camber alignment it seems to be necessary to remove it every time work needs doing on the front suspension. I've never replaced it and had no issues.

I hear ya...

Most car manufacturers require replacement of angle-torqued bolts because they're torqued to stretch. Unless you can very precisely measure stretch, you can't know if they've exceeded the elastic limit.

Ostensibly, the only time they need to be loosened is when installing struts and when adjusitng camber.

VADIS doesn't have you loosening them for ball joints, or any of the other shortcuts that posters have mentioned, likely because they're angle-torqued...

vova
01-30-2012, 07:26 AM
I just did mine struts 2 weeks ago on 01XC(broken spring and hell less of money in my pocket[cussing]) but so far no noises etc.
I have a question about camber adjustment..I thought that with our car`s it is impossible to adjust camber unless you buy the camber bolts sold by the third party( the Sears alignment tech said to me..so please don`t be harsh on me if this is incorrect) Could someone please send a proper link from Volvo with proper steps so i will be more informed. Would be very grateful for information and clarification.
Thanks to ALL!