PDA

View Full Version : Stock wheel offset?

gibbons
12-02-2003, 09:23 AM
After having hassled with the wrong offset on aftermarkert wheels on Hondas and Subarus, I have a really strong opinion about getting it right.  

Iff we get the XC, I will want to put a set of Hakka Q's on the stock wheels (six spoke) for winter time, and Scorps on some aftermarket wheel for the summer time.  I have two sets of wheels/tires for the truck and Sube, it works out well.

The question is, does anyone know the offset on the stock Tellus (or Xenia) wheels?  I am guessing that it is in the 45mm range.  The next trick would be finding a decent aftermarket with the same.  

Thanks.

toma nova
12-02-2003, 05:10 PM
gibbons,

Try this link (http://xc70.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=2104;hl=offset) for a previous thread.

Let us know what you're thinking for aftermarket wheels with some pix.  We don't get enough snow to warrant separate summer / winter tires so I've decided on Pilot Sport A/S on the Telli as replacements when the Scorpians wear out.

Tom

gibbons
12-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks toma nova.  When I was getting no replies, I talked the service manager into finding an XC in a service bay with a wheel off and looking for the markings on the inside of the wheel.  He didn't know what offset meant.  I explained it and told him what to look for.  He told me he was seeing "6x16J49".  I thought that might be 49 mm.

The thread shows the Tellus and Xenia as 49mm, so I guess that's it.  I think that's the highest offset I have ever heard of, I thought the Subaru was high at 45mm.  The aftermarket 6x16 Borbets are 40, so scratch that idea.  I will keep looking.

Switching tires on the same wheels twice a year is just too hard on them given that they usually hire monkeys to do tire bustin'.   Dilema here....