PDA

View Full Version : HELP -2010 XC70 Climate Control - Temperature Variability

mjkboston
01-18-2012, 05:57 AM
I recently traded my '07 XC90 for a low mileage 2010 XC70. This is my 4rth Volvo, 3rd XC70 ('98, '04). Have a interesting thing going on that I think is not normal and wanted to see if anyone out there with a 2010 XC70 in a cold climate could help me out.

I'm in New England. It can get cold here. I like to us the Automatic Climate Control. Set at 70 or 72 always worked in the past. What is happening is as the car warms up, I am getting warm air of equal temp out of the floor vents and the defroster vents on the dash. After about 10-15 minutes once the cabin has warmed up, the dash defroster vents start blowing air that is much cooler than the air coming out of the floor vents. At 70 degrees it almost feels like A/C. I find this uncomfortable and unusual.

Have been back to the Dealer now the 2nd time. Both times have had loaners. A 2012 XC70 and a 2012 S60, in both cases, driving the same route, the air from the dash vents never blows cool - it is consistent with the temp from the floor. Dealer has done the software upgrade on the ECC unit and says there are no faults. Their QC tech did measurements and found that the air temp between the defroster vents and the floor vents was 10-12 degrees different. But no codes.......... he then tested another 2010 XC70 they had on the lot - said it did the same thing. They called the TechHotline and since no codes, they said it was normal.

Would appreciate any additional feedback from anyone with a Gen 3 XC70. It sure seems to me like this is not working properly. Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
MJKBoston

PS. I am particularly sensitive to this since last winter I paid $800 to replace the heater core on my XC90.

JarekMW
01-18-2012, 07:51 AM
See the attached.

mjkboston
01-18-2012, 08:50 AM
My temp does not drop in the entire car, just the defroster vents on the dash but I did send this over to the dealer. Have you ever experienced the temperature variability that I'm experiencing?

JarekMW
01-20-2012, 05:40 PM
No, I never experienced what you described. However, during longer rides I think I observed a temperature drop in in the entire car. It's difficult to catch - a ride has to be long enough and an outside temperature low enough to create conditions to sense the drop. My car is 2011, manufactured in Oct 2010.