PDA

View Full Version : Driver's side Marker light

SlipsOnIce
01-15-2012, 07:54 PM
My driver's side front marker light is out. Assumed to be a blown bulb, I've been suffering a rash of these lately. I looked in the owner's manual, I held it up to the appropriate spot on the car. Darn if I can figure out where the book is telling me to pull this bulb from. The book shows it residing within some kind of channel or u-shaped construct. I might be dense, but I didn't see anything like that. The air box comes out, but all I see is a metal inner fender wall. There's a hole cutout for the headlight bulb in front of the marker. What am I missing?

billr99
01-15-2012, 08:53 PM
My driver's side front marker light is out. Assumed to be a blown bulb, I've been suffering a rash of these lately. I looked in the owner's manual, I held it up to the appropriate spot on the car. Darn if I can figure out where the book is telling me to pull this bulb from. The book shows it residing within some kind of channel or u-shaped construct. I might be dense, but I didn't see anything like that. The air box comes out, but all I see is a metal inner fender wall. There's a hole cutout for the headlight bulb in front of the marker. What am I missing?

You are talking about the side light just ahead of the door, right?

That light just presses into the fender. So to get it out you move the entire assembly to the rear (if I recall correctly) and pull outward. One of the plastic "latches" is flexible enough to then allow the lamp to release. Once out it is fairly obvious how the bulb holder comes away. Once you have that sorted, you just press the lamp back into the fender.

Now with that said, every one of these that I have tried, the spring latch breaks and I've had to silicone the lamp back onto the fender. The older style used in the 850 and 70 series had a heavier latch and the P2 design is a lot more flimsy. So be prepared, I guess.

Cheers,

Bill

howardc64
01-16-2012, 10:02 AM
every one of these that I have tried, the spring latch breaks and I've had to silicone the lamp back onto the fender.

My 01 V70 T5's passenger side marker has a broken plastic spring latch too. They are really flimsy. Is the marker easy to pull out after applying silicone? Say in case the bulb goes out again. I see new ones on ebay for about $25-$30. Online parts suppliers wants like $60 for them a couple of years back when I checked.

MacNoob
01-16-2012, 10:33 AM
side lights? the OP shows he has an '07? My '07 only has lights in the mirrors...

https://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pILPuiwFChgDzEarkZT1270Cwa33m41Q_HMZ1oo_0r0RggRx WozAJK7NoZTILaA_74r2vZuaKSsYDoN_rmKXD2w/IMG_0854%20-%20Copy.JPG

billr99
01-16-2012, 12:59 PM
My 01 V70 T5's passenger side marker has a broken plastic spring latch too. They are really flimsy. Is the marker easy to pull out after applying silicone? Say in case the bulb goes out again. I see new ones on ebay for about $25-$30. Online parts suppliers wants like $60 for them a couple of years back when I checked.

Yeah, they will pull right off and you just ned to clean off the old silicone and re-apply if another bulb blows. Sure beats paying $30-60 to have the problem just repeat itself due to a flimsy design.

Cheers,

Bill

billr99
01-16-2012, 01:01 PM
side lights? the OP shows he has an '07? My '07 only has lights in the mirrors...

Doh! I wasn't sure what year they changed those. I thought that all P2s had the same setup and it was the 08+ that went to the mirrors. Need to check VIDA first next time. Sorry if I created any confusion.

Cheers,

Bill

SlipsOnIce
01-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Yea, it's the yellow one in front of the wheel, next to the headlight.

The owner's manual says -

"Replacing bulbs at the front of the vehicle
All front bulbs (except the optional front fog lights) are replaced from the engine compartment. "

Bulb #1 in this view
https://customers.volvocars.com/owners/docs/2007/2007_XC70/images/pg198b.jpg

Location of the bulbs in the headlight housing
1. Side marker light
2. Turn signal
3. Low beam headlight/parking light (halogen headlights)
4. High beam headlight, parking light (Active Bi-Xenon headlights)

I don't see how to access it when I look under the hood.

Volky_one
01-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah, they will pull right off and you just ned to clean off the old silicone and re-apply if another bulb blows. Sure beats paying $30-60 to have the problem just repeat itself due to a flimsy design.

Cheers,

Bill
Mine,( passenger side) is held by double sided tape, my mirror lamps are off with error code from Vida, I took the lamps out and found none is burned and put them back, they don't bother me much but I don't know how they'll afect my inspection.

SlipsOnIce
01-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Well, I found the bulb. Once I pull the air inlet box out, I can change the bulb pretty easy. It's nestled aside the turn signal and a little difficult to see from above the car.

SlipsOnIce
01-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Got the bulb changed today. I did have to pull the air inlet box. Thanks Astro14 for the 10mm socket tip in the other thread, that trick worked perfectly in releasing the snap fit connectors. This is still not a job for anyone with larger than small hands. Let's hope I never have to change this bulb again. Passenger side looks even worse.

In this picture, the long white socket running right to left is where the bulb goes. Then it is inserted just behind the turn signal bulb (disconnected in this view). It's not an easy replacement.

http://www.midatlanticcampers.org/images/2012/0122121059a.jpg