PDA

View Full Version : With all my 04 XC70 issues, would I dare buy an XC90???

gibbons
01-15-2012, 04:20 PM
We need another car, my wife wants a SUV so we have more seats for when the kids are around, and then I get the XC70 back. She said let's get an XC90, I said no thanks, reminding her that she doesn't have to do the repairs (struts at 90K, 6 wheel bearings at 75K, motor mounts, broken ignition switch, rotors 3 times, etc, etc, etc.). So we looked at the Acura MDX, we always had good luck with Hondas.

How old is the current XC90 design, where in the lifecycle? Just wonderin how daring other XC70 owners are?

What about the chinese factor nowadays? Anything to that?

howardc64
01-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Current XC90 body dates to 2003 so got to be due for a refresh soon.

I think 07+ XC90 went to the 6 cylinder. Both normally aspirated and turbo charged are thirtier than 2.5T.

Not sure Chinese owner had much of an effect yet. I think the acquisition is readiness for the biggest auto market in the world (China) by a domestic player. In China, domestic companies have favorable conditions than foreign companies. Acquiring Volvo seems to be a smart move.

Your XC70 ownership experience seems pretty normal for this car other than the 6 wheel bearings.

I doubt you will see much different maintenance difference compared to the XC70. Still a gorgeous looking European premium segment vehicle with no real incentive to bring reliability+maintenance up to Japanese standards.

MDX should be lower maintenance but I bet your wife like the that swedish styling better :)

By the way, 2012 MDX's gas mileage rating is worse than I thought (16/21) I had a 2000 Honda Odyssey with the earlier version of the Honda V6 and was rated at 18/25. The engine got even more efficient in 03 with cylinder deactivation tech. 2012 Odyssey is rated 18/27. Not sure what happened on the MDX application of this V6.

Astro14
01-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Happened to look at the 2012 Consumer Reports Car Buying Guide this afternoon...turns out the XC-90 is slightly below average for reliability and the XC-70 is average.

That's right, the XC-70 is average...

Might be worth a $25 subscription to CR just to look at the data collection that they've done...

The XC-90 is a nice machine, no doubt, but I don't think it's going to be any better than the XC. That said, my bud (from whom I bought my much-loved 850 wagon) has over 140K on his XC-90 with virtually zero maintenance...so it really comes down to the condition of the particular vehicle you're buying and how well the previous owner maintained it...

gibbons
01-15-2012, 09:14 PM
This would be a new whatever-it-is. Like my XC70 was new, and look how that worked out! :)

The nice thing about this 2004 is that there are so few around, that no one knows it's 8 years old. It still looks new. On the other hand, me-too cars like Subarus and MDXs are obvious, if image matters. Even still, I wouldn't want to buy a car at the end of its generation run. The MDX will be a new generation this for 2013.

JRL
01-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Buy the Acura

Leto Atreides II
01-15-2012, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't want to buy a car at the beginning of it's generation run either... ('01 transmission anyone?)

mhrir
01-15-2012, 09:44 PM
SUVs, yuk.

If you are leery of Volvos there are way more interesting vehicles than the MDX (or XC90).

Acura TSX Sportwagon
Toyota Venza
Cadillac CTS Wagon
Subaru Outback
BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon

Leto Atreides II
01-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Which of those have the seating capacity of the XC90? That seems to be a major factor for the purchase...

gibbons
01-16-2012, 07:55 AM
SUVs, yuk.

If you are leery of Volvos there are way more interesting vehicles than the MDX (or XC90).

Acura TSX Sportwagon
Toyota Venza
Cadillac CTS Wagon
Subaru Outback
BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon

Yuk is the same reaction our sons had, they have heard on NPR that SUVs are bad, and that's a good enough reason for them! Yes, we need extra seating, and an SUV is no worse than a minivan for all the factors that give them a bad name.

We looked at a TSX and the space between the rear shock towers is tiny, we actually put stuff in the XC with the rear seat down. Also, no AWD.

Venza- seen them around, haven't had time to look. I doubt they have a real third seat(?)

Cadillac- wouldn't trust it any more than I would an XC90, and depreciation rate is ridiculous.

Outback- already have a 2009. At one point, at our house, we had a 95 wagon, 05 wagon, and 09 wagon, all white. With the XC, that made 4 white wagons. It looked funny when they were all outside. I would buy another Outback, my wife wants something different.

BMW- Never been a big fan, seem expensive to fix.

Picky, picky!

As for the MDX, I wouldn't be afraid to buy a first year Honda product. I used to look forward to the new model years.

bbbuzzy
01-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Three row SUV's have become the minivan alternative for many people, and for good reason. They carry the kids and friends when needed, have AWD for folks in snowy climes, look better to most folks, and provide the higher seating position that many like. I always prefer a lower car (for handling, mileage, etc) but have now recognized the utility of a larger vehicle. When it was just me, my wife and two kids, the XC70 was perfect. Now that my aging mother lives with us and we frequently carry 5 people, the XC70 is a FAIL. My wife squeezes in between the car seats in the second row and does not complain. I can't fit. She may cave someday. If she does, I'll look at many other choices before the XC90. That vehicle looks good still, but is ancient technology and just too small in the third row. Have any of you tried it? It's really ridiculous trying to squeeze any human back there, even a child.

Other choices worth considering, in my opinion:

1) Mazda CX-9 (been around a while as well, but it works. Good reliability. Good size inside and is easily the best driver's car of the bunch. Decent tech goodies available keep it relevant (Bluetooth Audio, back-up camera, etc)

2) Ford Explorer (lots of tech gadgets, some work, some have issues) drive is refined but boring (so say the mags). Decent mileage for a vehicle it's size, comfy for all rows

3) Acura MDX (proven winner) It's a good vehicle with great reliability. Fun to drive and a good value proposition for the premium SUV segment

4) Dodge Durango (Nice work by Chrysler, wait for the new 8 speed transmission)

The XC90 is soldiering on for a few more years. Lots of rumors abound but some consensus on replacement in 2013. It looks good but comes up short in the hot segment. It's just too small inside to really use the third row. Too bad. Good luck with your decision.

sjonnie
01-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Picky, picky!

So I guess the Audi Q7 is out too?

Take a look at the Chevy Traverse, 3-rows, better mileage than the SUV choices, good options & reviews.

Astro14
01-17-2012, 02:38 PM
So I guess the Audi Q7 is out too?

Take a look at the Chevy Traverse, 3-rows, better mileage than the SUV choices, good options & reviews.

Rented the Traverse a couple of times - nice driving machine, not the best mileage...about 21 Hwy in Detroit (most recent rental) but very nice driving and nice features. I would avoid the 1st year of production - transmission problems; output shafts breaking, the fix was a larger shaft during the production run...

mhrir
01-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Which of those have the seating capacity of the XC90? That seems to be a major factor for the purchase...

Well if you are going to be a stickler for seating capacity then I would quit screwing around and get a Honda Odyssey. Nothing else to say...

jkochis
01-18-2012, 05:28 AM
We needed another car as well, opted for 2012 Honda Pilot for more space for the family. As we all know Volvo are super comfortable and awesome in any weather but like you said I just didn't want to keep fixing all those items for my wifes main car. I will get the XC70 and hope to get many more miles/years out of it. MDX is super nice and like you said you can't go wrong with Honda our 2004 Acura TSX we had to do nothing to except oil changes. The Chinese factor I feel is a concern since how many mechanics always warn about the cheap metals used in many of their replacement parts. I am happy my XC came from Sweden.

We need another car, my wife wants a SUV so we have more seats for when the kids are around, and then I get the XC70 back. She said let's get an XC90, I said no thanks, reminding her that she doesn't have to do the repairs (struts at 90K, 6 wheel bearings at 75K, motor mounts, broken ignition switch, rotors 3 times, etc, etc, etc.). So we looked at the Acura MDX, we always had good luck with Hondas.

How old is the current XC90 design, where in the lifecycle? Just wonderin how daring other XC70 owners are?

What about the chinese factor nowadays? Anything to that?