PDA

View Full Version : Found a few cars...how do they look?

StuntmanMike
01-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I really like the look of this one, I love the silver/black combo. It looks really clean too. Even if the 105k service has not been completed, is it still a good price?
http://inventory.massachusettsusedvehicles.com/web_display/view/4841182

This one looks good too, and I haven't seen one in this color yet. It's more $$, but considering it's a year newer and timing belt has been done, I could be money ahead. I'm not a huge fan of red cars, but it looks like an interesting combo.
http://providence.craigslist.org/ctd/2769382761.html

And not a fan of black, but I LOVE the tan interior. And this one looks to have a pretty good amount of service done to it. The timing belt was even done early!
http://providence.craigslist.org/ctd/2722782314.html

Any imput on any of them?

Thanks!

howardc64
01-09-2012, 11:13 PM
05s have some interior and exterior appearance updates if that matters to you. Interior have more wood accents (center console), exterior have more silvered surfaces (front, rear bumper, roof rack)

cattlecar
01-09-2012, 11:22 PM
They all look like nice cars.
I prefer the 2004's. 2005's have plastic headlamps instead of glass. In south and southwest those 2005's almost all have hazed over headlamps. 2004 have headligth wipers and 2005 and later uses the squirters since plastic scratches when wipers pass over them.
Minor I guess but my 2 cents' worth.

Xilikon
01-10-2012, 06:46 AM
I find all those cars are nice as well. The first one is well priced and a full service including timing belt and water pump shouldn't cost more than 600-700$. You could ask they do it before selling, thus getting the same base as the two other ones.

Beside this advice, I suggest you inspect the car before buying so you don't have any hidden surprises.

StuntmanMike
01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
I like the first one the best myself, I just really like these in silver.

I'm thinking the black one might be the best deal, it has the least miles at 99k, and all the service has already been done.

The red one seems like a good deal as well, and I may in fact have to go for at least a 2005. I called my bank today, their cutoff for auto loan financing is the 2005 model year. I'll have to see if there are other places that will finance an '04, I really hate to have to go through the dealer.

And after looking at more pics I see the differeces from 04-05. I really don't care either way, honestly. The silver stuff looks nice, but I'm not sure if I like all the extra fake wood inside. And I think the '04 headlights look better. However 05 may work better for financing and resale later on.

And for kicks and giggles I called the local Volvo dealer....

The timing belt replacement is $590, And they must do a lot of them, I asked the question, and he was like BANG, right there with the answer.

I also asked how much with the water pump, and then he asked me how many miles on the car and if it was leaking. I explained how I was just doing some research as I was looking to buy one.

He told me he wouldn't recommend doing the water pump the first time around unless there's a problem with it, he says he usually has them done on the 2nd belt replacement.

I was surprised, and he said "oh yeah, these things run forever. I had one come in the other day with 490k on it". Damn!!

He DID say the WP would be about another hour for labor ($110) and about $150 (guesstimate) for the part.

So that's a total of 850 for WP and TBelt.

I'm sure an indy place would be cheaper, but I just thought to call this dealer since they're literally 1 minute from where I live.

I plan on finding an indy place though if I do get one though.

Anyone have any thoughts on model year vs mileage?

Or would I be better off getting one with say 110k with all service done, or say 90k with no service done?

EDIT:

Here's another one: Silver with tan interior! Decent miles and IMO good price. Thoughts?

http://providence.craigslist.org/ctd/2792169562.html

SlipsOnIce
01-10-2012, 07:59 PM
One reason the inside carpet on that last one looks so nice, the factory floor mats are missing. I imagine they aren't cheap to replace. I would ask about replacing those before purchasing this car. You can see the retaining posts in the floor in the pics.

StuntmanMike
01-11-2012, 04:22 PM
One reason the inside carpet on that last one looks so nice, the factory floor mats are missing. I imagine they aren't cheap to replace. I would ask about replacing those before purchasing this car. You can see the retaining posts in the floor in the pics.

Didn't even notice, good eye. I prob wouldn't have thought of that till I actually got in the car.

Prob one of those things that whoever traded it in took before the let the car go, or maybe the dealer needed them for another car. It's funny how stuff like that disapers, like owners manuals and the 2nd set of keys.

JRL
01-11-2012, 04:24 PM
The reason is that after 5-7 years, they're FILTY and won't clean up 100%, or the driver's has a heel tear so they're left out, at least for the pictures.

That one also has a bunch of ca ca aftermarket wood ad-on trim everywhere.
I don't mind a couple of pieces but not on the window switches and on the AC vents [mad2]

Not a bad looking car though.
No T belt sticker so that's due with who knows what else it may need!
It's cheap.
Makes me wonder.
If I sold that (and when everything was up to 110% and perfect), I would ask a heck of a lot more

StuntmanMike
01-11-2012, 04:27 PM
The reason is that after 5-7 years, they're FILTY and won't clean up 100%, or the driver's has a heel tear so they're left out, at least for the pictures

Also a good point, makes sense. Well, I'd rather have filthy mats than filthy carpet, so at least they'll have done thier job at that point.

I'd prob put a set of Husky liners in it anyway, if they make a set for these.

And btw, I think I just found her...

A one owner Dark grey (not sure of actual color name) '06 with charcoal interior, 102k miles, new timing belt, water pump, pulleys, tires, alignment, fresh oil change - 10,495.

I think I have to jump on that one, sounds like it's good to go for another 100k!

And I absolutely love the dark grey color, I saw one for the first time in that color the other night and fell in love.

StuntmanMike
01-11-2012, 04:39 PM
That one also has a bunch of ca ca aftermarket wood ad-on trim everywhere.
I don't mind a couple of pieces but not on the window switches and on the AC vents [mad2]

Not a bad looking car though.
No T belt sticker so that's due with who knows what else it may need!
It's cheap.
Makes me wonder.
If I sold that (and when everything was up to 110% and perfect), I would ask a heck of a lot more

Thanks forthe info! Yeah, I don't like the stick on fake wood, I was actually wondering how I'd go about removing it. It's a big turn off as far as that car is concerned. I really like the color though, and those are my favorite style XC wheels.

Do they have a name, btw? I know on every kind of car forum, all the different wheels have names (official or nicknames). Haven't found the Volvo names yet, lol.

JRL
01-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Wheels are called "TELLUS"
Standard XC wheels 01 thru 04

If you're careful much of the wood will pop right off with a bone tool
I like it on the console and maybe around the radio, those smaller pieces usually come off pretty easily.
Definitely should NOT be a deal breaker.
If you like it you need to have it checked out at the nearest Volvo dealer if you don't know anyone in that area.
Pay the 1 hour labor, well worth it

StuntmanMike
01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to keep that one in mind, but I really like this one...I don't know if you saw when I posted this a few replies ago....what do you think?

And btw, I think I just found her...

A one owner Dark grey (not sure of actual color name) '06 with charcoal interior, 102k miles, new timing belt, water pump, pulleys, tires, alignment, fresh oil change - 10,495.

I think I have to jump on that one, sounds like it's good to go for another 100k!

And I absolutely love the dark grey color, I saw one for the first time in that color the other night and fell in love.

JRL
01-11-2012, 06:59 PM
They didn't make Titanium XCs :confused:

StuntmanMike
01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
They didn't make Titanium XCs :confused:

I don't know the name of the color, but it looks like this:

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/26149014.jpg

This site calls it Lava Sand Grey Metallic. Does that ring a bell??

Leto Atreides II
01-11-2012, 11:21 PM
I bought a lava sand XC from JRL a bit over a year ago. It's an '05 with a taupe interior instead of charcoal. It's a great color.

JRL
01-12-2012, 06:27 AM
I love LAVA SAND but it's certainly not Grey
If anything, I would call it a dark Taupe, and in person it doesn't look like that, (it looks better IMO).
That's a 07 Adventure series and worth a heck of a lot more.
Are you sure you have that price right?
If so, better have someone look over it VERY carefully
What does the Carfax say?

StuntmanMike
01-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Oh ok. The ad called it "grey" and it looked like dark grey in the pics.

The one I posted a pic of isn't the same car, I had a hard time posting an actual pic for some reason, so I just did a google image search to find a good pic of one in that color.

I haven't seen the carfax yet, but that ad says it's a clean carfax that shows one owner. They're a small dealer, website says a husband and wife business, and they seem to somewhat specialize in these cars. Looking at their current and past inventory (they have a recently sold section), it seems like they've had quite a few of these go through there.

I'll see if he can send me a copy of the carfax.

JRL
01-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Here's the 05 Lava I sold to Duke Leto
(Scroll down past the deleted pics to his shots)
Jim
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17161

His shots also don't show the color properly, it has more "brown" in the color.
Mine did but they have been removed from my Photobucket acct, ergo, removed from this thread.

When cleaned and waxed, I think it's an awesome color (plus it doesn't show dirt)! [thumbup]
I almost bought a Lava for myself. I've always been partial to that type of color.

If you want me to find and sell you an XC, I can. My cars are not the cheapest but they're always the best as I go over them THOROUGHLY and fix anything needed.
I'm very picky

kmcginty
01-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Only one of the cars I can see pictures of has the flip up booster seats. I don't know if you have kids. Also, the third row seat is a nice option, but only if you have a few kids. Also, look at the basics, good tires, a new set will run 600 or more, etc.

StuntmanMike
01-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Thnaks again for the info JRL.

That looks like the color, she sure is gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen one in that color in person.

Here's the actual link to the car in question:

http://www.tabautosales.com/CarsForSale/Volvo_S077/Volvo_S077.php

Thanks for the offer to help, if I can't find anything local and get to the point where I'm willing to go to PA, I'll definitely let you know.

KMC - I'm single with no kids yet, and no plans for any in the forseeable future. (knock on wood!!) Booster seats and 3rd row aren't a concern.

I'll probably look like a soccer mom driving one of these things, LOL. I don't care though, I hate to part with my SUV, so I think one of these is a great alternative. But it certainly won't be the StuntmanMike Family Truckster anytime soon, lol.

More like the Shaggin' Wagon, haha.

Thanks again for all the input guys, I appreciate it. Until a few days ago, I knew NOTHING about these cars.

JRL
01-12-2012, 01:44 PM
RR Q-panel has a ding or two
The LEFT Q panel though has something else besides a minor ding
Looks like a giant vertical scuff/dent that did not come out during the detail.

Again, this dealer sells these fairly cheap so you have some room for mechanical or body repair if needed or wanted.

StuntmanMike
01-12-2012, 04:27 PM
RR Q-panel has a ding or two
The LEFT Q panel though has something else besides a minor ding
Looks like a giant vertical scuff/dent that did not come out during the detail.

Again, this dealer sells these fairly cheap so you have some room for mechanical or body repair if needed or wanted.

Man, you have a GOOD eye! I just looked really hard and I can't see anything on the left (driver's) side. Is it right above that white spot...or the white spot itself? I thought it was a reflection from a light source, but maybe not...

I think I found the one on the right...there's ding behind and slightly below the gas door?

Damn you're good!