PDA

View Full Version : which used volvo should i buy?

io42
01-08-2012, 12:48 PM
I need some help figuring out which used Vovlo is the better value and was told to come here for some advice! My 2001 V70 wagon was recently totaled. Fortunately everyone in the car is OK. I was not at fault (not information you need to know, but it makes me feel a little better about the incident). I'm now in the market for another Volvo wagon, and am having trouble making a decision about which car to buy. I intend to run the car into the ground, so I'm more interested in longevity and value for my dollar now as opposed to the car's resale value later.

Up until this morning I was considering purchasing one of two cars. The first is a 2003 with ~85,000 miles on it and the other is a 2005 with ~75,000 miles on it. Both are in very good condition, neither has been in an accident, and both have had two previous owners. According to Kelly Blue Book the 2003 is worth about $12,500 and the 2005 is valued at ~$15,500. The dealer has them priced at $13,900 and $16,900 respectively, but sounds willing to come down on the price. The dealer is also my regular mechanic and has told me that they will give me a 12 month, 12.5 k warranty on either vehicle. I noticed while test driving the 2003 that the digital clock doesn't work, and have seen some posts on here about 2003s having faulty DIMs. When I brought this up with the dealer he kind of poo-pooed my concern and said that it was about a $500 fix that they weren't going to make on the vehicle (for what it's worth, I'm female and don't know much about cars, but this does seem like it could be an indication of more DIM issues to come).

This morning, after doing my daily online search, I found a new listing for a used 2004 with 115,000 miles for $10,750 (this price is fixed). I plan on test driving it tomorrow. I'm wondering if even though it has higher mileage if it might be a better value in both the short and long run. I think this car comes with a 30 day warranty. This is a larger Volvo-specific dealer as opposed to a more local shop. This car has had one owner and was originally sold by the same dealer that is selling it now (bigger Volvo shop compared to a smaller independent place).

Any thoughts about which car might be the best value would be greatly appreciated.

JRL
01-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Both of the first two are very high
The 04 is more or less in line but with 115K miles you need to get its service history.
If they sold and serviced it that should not be a problem
If they won't give you the history; RUN, don't walk away, as they have something to hide!

Timng belt should have already been done, some suspension parts should have been replaced by now, etc

05s have the newer interior and some upgrades

howardc64
01-08-2012, 01:14 PM
You should get an independent mechanic to look over the dealer vehicle you are interested in. The dealer is in the role of seller and your mechanic so an obviously conflict of interest. Probably won't have the maintenance history from the dealers since they usually don't keep+provide that.

drive all the cars for 20-30min and then do lots of stop+go to checkout the transmission. Also test park->reverse and reverse->drive shifts (again after 20min+ test drive) Many transmission problems won't rear its head until fluid is hot+thin which can take 20min+.

too many unknowns for me to vote at least :)

Ditto JRL's comments on service history of the dealer vehicles. If they serviced it and won't provide service records... bad news.

Your location would be nice too. There seems to be some price differences depending on region. I live in the northwest and seems to be amongst the highest prices in the country.

io42
01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
I am just outside of Portland, Maine

Forkster
01-08-2012, 10:20 PM
You could also talk to John (JRL) - he specialty is used Volvo's but he's in Devon, PA. Then again, he'll find what you're looking for, check it out, and makes sure it's 100% before delivery. You could then always fly over and drive it home as part of a nice trip.

I know that's my next delivery option. :D

io42
01-09-2012, 05:29 AM
You could also talk to John (JRL) - he specialty is used Volvo's but he's in Devon, PA. Then again, he'll find what you're looking for, check it out, and makes sure it's 100% before delivery. You could then always fly over and drive it home as part of a nice trip.

I know that's my next delivery option.

Are you joking or are you serious? My sarcasm detector is not working at this early hour. Heading out to test drive the 2004 before work. Will post with an update later.

8pack
01-09-2012, 05:45 AM
2005. Look on here. Reliability seems to be higher on 05-07....they sorted out a bunch of the annoying nits and problem areas by then.....

My 2 cents. JRL probably has a more accurate opinion. But if you search on here you will find far less posts regarding the 2005 than the 2004....

JRL
01-09-2012, 06:02 AM
John????? :confused::confused::confused:

Xilikon
01-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Forget the 2003, it sound like a DIM issue you wouldn't want to mess with. 2004 is better but a bit iffy along with a high price. The 2005 is a better bet as long as it's inspected and certified in great condition.

matt1122
01-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Minor note: I believe the XC70 was updated for MY2005, so there are some fit and finish things that will make it feel a bit newer vs. a MY2004 or earlier. The materials used in the 05-07 interior also feel like they are of a higher quality to me than those used in the 01-04 interior. Just a few extra reasons to go for the 2005.