PDA

View Full Version : Best diagnostic tool

eitankon
01-06-2012, 02:17 AM
Hello all,

What is the best diagnostics tool for my Volvo XC ?

Is this ok ?
http://www.auto-tool-shop.com/volvo-vida-dice-p-113.html

Do I need another converter or what comes with it is adequate ?

I must be able to run the trany adaption process as I going to do the B4 replacement.

Tnx,

Eitan

howardc64
01-06-2012, 02:36 AM
Yes, this is the tool of choice if you want to do adaptation. No converter necessary, one end goes into the OBD2 port and the other is USB into your computer.

The tool will also read all OEM codes, trigger a few calibration tests, and set all the changeable parameters (like changing your heated seat temperature if you want, turn of day time running lights if you want etc...) Here is my recent quick review and usage for adaptation. Both cars shifts better than it ever has and super smooth. Neither car had much tranny problems to begin with.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20147
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20196

Check your lower transmission torque mount's small bushing as well and replace that if torn before doing the adaptation.

You can get <=$200 shipped to US from China from various online shops and ebay. Not sure about Isreal.

BillAileo
01-06-2012, 07:12 AM
I agree with Howard's comment but one additional detail to focus on in advance is whether the version of Windows you have on your computer is sufficient.

alcraig
01-07-2012, 04:24 AM
What is the "adaption process" exactly?
How is it initiated?
Should it be done at every service interval?
Is it a "routine" within VADIS?

Ta
Al Craig

howardc64
01-07-2012, 10:41 AM
What is the "adaption process" exactly?

Trigger the transmission computer to forget all the past shifting patterns and relearn how to shift smoothly based on the latest internal (and external since the computer gets signals from outside of the tranny) conditions.

How is it initiated?

With a diagnostic tool call VIDA/DiCE. Thats what the dealers have. Now us consumers can buy similar clones that pretty much the same (missing wireless channel and flight recorder if you know what that is)

Should it be done at every service interval?

No need. The transmission computer suppose to be continuously and gradually relearning all the time as you drive. But when major change like transmission got rebuilt or replaced, should trigger the computer to forget the past and relearn shifting based on the new conditions.

This said, I am surprised by how much both of my car's shifting improved without any major component changes (maybe a broken lower transmission mount). I wonder if there are "bad habits" that die hard so to speak.

It would be interesting to hear other VIDA/DiCE owner's experiences as they try adaptation without any transmission component replacement. My data is a sample of only 2 cars :)

Is it a "routine" within VADIS?

As noted above, not routine maintenance item. Dealer could do it for you but they will probably charge you a couple of hours of labor.

Astro14
01-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Did the adaptation cycle once after replacing the valve body. Tranny has been smooth ever since...over 20K and that includes a couple Drain and Refills and one flush (this is true on both my Volvos by the way).

I don't really see a need to re-do it unless a component has been replaced. The trans does continually adapt as Howard says...so it should be compensating for wear along the way...

IF you do want to anyway...and you've got a spare hour or two to try it out, then I would flush the trans first (no point learning on old fluid that you're going to replace) and follow the description in VIDA...a synopsis of which appears in the valve body notes in the resource section.