PDA

View Full Version : Odb ii p1171

guymon
01-05-2012, 07:14 AM
A while ago my CEL came on but went away before I could put a OBDII on it. I asked on the forum if the code would be stored and readable on the ODBII and was told only VIDAS could read a stored code.

I hooked up my new ODBII today (Innova 3140) to the car for kicks and it had a P1171 stored in it that said "Fuel Adaption Bank 1". I figured this might just be that I used a different grade gas last time I filled. Researching on here it says a P1171 is a MAF problem. So my questions are,

1. Does the car store ODBII codes that are readable by a standard ODBII reader even when the CEL is off, or was my old CEL, that was just on for a day, something else?

2. Is a P1171 a "Fuel Adaption Bank 1" or a MAF problem

FYI: The ODBII asked for the make of car when using it.

billr99
01-05-2012, 09:11 AM
A while ago my CEL came on but went away before I could put a OBDII on it. I asked on the forum if the code would be stored and readable on the ODBII and was told only VIDAS could read a stored code.

I hooked up my new ODBII today (Innova 3140) to the car for kicks and it had a P1171 stored in it that said "Fuel Adaption Bank 1". I figured this might just be that I used a different grade gas last time I filled. Researching on here it says a P1171 is a MAF problem. So my questions are,

1. Does the car store ODBII codes that are readable by a standard ODBII reader even when the CEL is off, or was my old CEL, that was just on for a day, something else?

2. Is a P1171 a "Fuel Adaption Bank 1" or a MAF problem

FYI: The ODBII asked for the make of car when using it.

In most cases, a standard reader will only be able to process those codes mandated by regulation within the OBD2 specifications. In turn, these codes are also mandated to be stored onboard and then accessible by generic readers. The regulation also allows OEMs a whole bank of codes that do not have to be made accessible without proprietary equipment.

So your P1171 is a standard code but if you had access via VADIS/DiCE you would probably be able to see the associated OEM codes as well as the knowlegebase behind them allowing a more complete diagnosis. Also VIDA can tell you if the code has been stored from a past event versus an active problem. Something that standard readers are no able to do as the regs do not address that ability as far as I can determine.

Cheers,

Bill

howardc64
01-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Seems like many people get this code and resulted in MAF problems. But MAF problems are hard chase down on this car. People often end up throwing parts at it (O2 sensors). google "volvo p1171" for tons of info on this. This particular link below shows Volvo code readers (VIDA/DiCE) can monitor MAF values to help with diagnoses. Note it is for a 99 V70 T5.

http://www.volvo-forums.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=10577&view=findpost&p=41123

Does your car run rough? even at random times? I had a MAF problem that threw no codes but the engine would randomly cut out like it has no power at all and recover after a few seconds. Sounds like your have no CEL now and cars drives fine. Maybe difficult to chase if everything is working normally at the moment. By the way, CEL comes on after same fault is detected in 2 subsequent starts. Sounds like that hasn't happened in awhile.

You can also get a can of MAF cleaner and clean it to see if that helps. Here is a link on that

http://howardsvolvos.webs.com/engine.htm#449431638

guymon
01-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the info on readers.

Car runs fine now. If it throws another cel I'll look at cleaning the Maf.

guymon
01-08-2012, 05:11 PM
So the car threw another p1171 today. Went and bought some MAF cleaner. The MAF was hard for me to remove from the pipe but it finally popped off. Cleaned per instructions on the MAF cleaner. Let it dry and reinstalled it.

Well I don't know if it will fix the issue, but the power increase was HUGE. I haven't owned this car long and always thought it was not the fastest thing off the line, but now that I cleaned the MAF its a different car. I think cleaning the MAF each time the air filter is changed should be standard.

howardc64
01-08-2012, 06:08 PM
The MAF was hard for me to remove from the pipe but it finally popped off.

With the right secure bit, it'd come off really easy.

https://picasaweb.google.com/howardc64/MAF?authkey=Gv1sRgCJbE7pPs4c_lygE#slideshow/5379711539046519538

guymon
01-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I didn't remove just the element but the whole MAF. If I had had the special security torque I would have gone that route as it would have been easier. I did read your posting on your site before hand. Thanks for all you do Howard!

Xilikon
01-09-2012, 08:30 AM
I had the P1171 in the past and I got it fixed by buying a new Bosch MAF. Cleaning doesn't always work and sometime, it could damage it.

guymon
03-15-2012, 07:47 PM
So my P1171 came back. I guess it's time for a new MAF sensor since the cleaning only lasted about 3 months.

Any suggestions on the best place to get a replacement?

JRL
03-15-2012, 08:22 PM
World Pac
Buy a Bosch (same as blue box at 1/2 the cost)

aj.ase2011
11-12-2015, 09:32 PM
I understand this is an old thread but I have to say the MAF is not the only thing that will cause a P1171 code to pop. We discovered on our 99 VXC that low fuel pressure will cause the ECU throw this code. Turned out our fuel pump module had broken inside the tank and was causing a pressure bleed. 24 psi at idle, lacked power, and was very difficult to start. Just throwing my 2¢ in.

Willy
11-13-2015, 03:14 AM
I think you may have done the right thing. I remember reading that the sensor should not
be removed from the housing since it is sealed with a special fluid.
If you do want to remove it, I suggest you take a good look at the screws.
In my MY2004 they have Security Torx Plus heads.
This torx variety has 5 points instead of the "normal" 6:
http://www.wihatools.ca/702-security-torx-plus-insert-bits
Willy