PDA

View Full Version : 02 Xc70 Spewing Out Some Smoke And Dirty Watery Thing Out Of The Tailpipe

tolian2
12-31-2011, 01:12 PM
after a warm up this happens if I am in park and push the accelerator pedal.
what could it be? substance looks like dirty water. happens like this: I push the accelerator pedal, get a cloud of white-slightly bluish smoke and then it spits out this dirty what-looks-like water substance.

171K miles on the odometer.

Cyrus
12-31-2011, 05:34 PM
hEAD gASKET SHOT?:(

tolian2
12-31-2011, 06:27 PM
that would have been the worst case scenario.
i need to go and warm it up really well: 30+ min on freeway and then to see about that smoke and if the coolant is going.

Cyrus
12-31-2011, 08:01 PM
pull the oil dipstick, see if it looks like frothy hot chocolate.

tolian2
01-01-2012, 11:01 AM
will do.
it's hard to get help during NY eve.
hopefully I will get more in the new year.

Cheers!

chipenter
01-01-2012, 11:43 AM
The test for a blown head gasket is to remove the cap from the header tank , and start the car if the water bubbles up as the engine warms up it's the gasket .

GReeves
01-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Go to Autozone and hire a pressure tester. Pump the pressure up to 20-25 psi and wait for 30 min. If the pressure is still good then you know its not H/G if the pressure drops then you know you have problems and you should be able to pin point where it has blown.
From everything you have said I would also summise that you have a H/G problems

Astro14
01-02-2012, 01:32 AM
that would have been the worst case scenario.
i need to go and warm it up really well: 30+ min on freeway and then to see about that smoke and if the coolant is going.

Yes.

Water vapor is a combustion byproduct...it will always be present in the exhaust and condense back into liquid form in a cold exhaust system. A good 20-30 minute highway run will warm up the system enough to preclude most condensation. The liquid water will rinse out the carbon and create the black stuff you're describing...

Blue smoke is caused by oil...but depending on the ambient light...the white smoke of vapor might look blue...

IF you're not using oil, and you're not losing coolant, then this is just normal...lots of short trips (cold exhaust system and lots of condensation trapped in it...) and cold weather exacerbate it...