PDA

View Full Version : Transmission shifting great after TCM adaptation + lower torque mount

howardc64
12-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Got my 01 V70XC's tranny (116k, ATF=40k old) shifting super smooth after the following steps.

- Replaced the lower torque mount bushing. Current one broke clean through. I replaced it at 70k so it lasted <= 45k miles. My T5's mount has 20k mile, not broken but have a bit of play.

Rather than investing in another easily breakable mount, I decided to fashion one out of shock bushing per this link

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=116483&postcount=2

Will follow up with couple of "manufacturing" notes on that later :)

- Trigger the adaptation on my VIDA/DICE and went through its sequence with one little hitch. For whatever reason, I couldn't get TCM to learn the N-D garage shift sequence.

- Drove it about 20-30min with VIDA/DICE hooked up to monitor ATF temp, finally got it up to 86C (takes a long time) and everything shifts perfectly.

My tranny didn't have any significant problems to begin with. Just a random slight hesitation from 2-3. But that is now all gone.

After doing TCM adaptation on both my 01 T5 and this car, one observation is these TCM seems to hold on to the bad shifts they learned from the past (failing ABS, broken lower torque mount, old fluid etc...) After adaptation on both vehicles, both shifts perfect. Again, neither had significant shifting problems to begin with but shift quality definitely got better.

Almost out of time as XMAS vacation is nearly over. Last thing to do is probably that turbo intake air pipe oil leak. Had good results on my T5 by taking it off and cleaning off the accumulated sludge right at the bottom of that fitting. Likely preventing a good seal.

Cyrus
12-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Now that's creative. I wonder how long it will last? Mine is in need of a replacement also.....hhmmmm might try it.[thumbup]

alcraig
01-01-2012, 06:35 AM
I finally recieved a copy of VADIS, but haven't a clue as to how to hook it up to my car. What cable goes between my computer and the OBD socket? Where is the OBD socket? Once connected, is the software dangerous? or pretty easy to use?
ta
Al

billr99
01-01-2012, 06:51 AM
I finally recieved a copy of VADIS, but haven't a clue as to how to hook it up to my car. What cable goes between my computer and the OBD socket? Where is the OBD socket? Once connected, is the software dangerous? or pretty easy to use?
ta
Al

You need a DiCE which is the interface and protocol translator between the on-board systems and VIDA on your laptop. Once you get the whole setup, the procedures controlled by VIDA are pretty straight-forward and easy to run through. The hardest part is finding the starting point for what you want to do. But after doing a few, you figure out how the system is laid out than it is simply reading the screen and following the directions.

As far as the specifics on acquiring a DiCE look through some of the threads on this forum and the sources for DiCE are outlined. Many of us have used AliExpress or eBay to get hold of ours.

Cheers,

Bill