PDA

View Full Version : Xc70 vs. pacifica

tooberand
06-23-2003, 11:18 AM
I test drove a Chrysler Pacifica this weekend. Once you get over the hurdle that this car is a "Chrysler", it's actually a very nice vehicle. It appears to be a cross between the XC70 and XC90 with its station wagon look and third-row seating (with side curtain for all three rows). I also found the interior room much nicer than the XC70. Being 6' 6" thats always a plus. My biggest (and really only) complaint is that they matched the engine with a 4 speed automatic transmission. Even though its 250hp with the auto-shift feature, it still left me wanting compared to what I've seen out of the XC70's (I attribute part of that to living at 5000 ft.).

Has anyone done some head to head comparisons of these two vehicles? I'd love to hear from anyone who has.

Thanks.

Toots!
06-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Tooberand:
The Pacifica looks good from the outside, but while I've no experience with the Pacifica it was the ownership of two Chrysler minivans which drove me completely away from North American vehicles. Those vans were beautifully designed for handling people and stuff, providing a comfortable ride, and having a finish that stood up very well over many years; however, the bills for mechanical repairs (air conditioners and trannies on both +++) plus the attitude of the service departments just got to be too much to take.

I've moved on to a 2003 XC (which I love) and am hoping for much greater satisfaction overall!
Toots

Hiro's XC
06-24-2003, 06:40 AM
I was going to mention the AC and trans, but someone beat me to it. They are the same crappy units that have been in service for many years. That said, it is a nice vehicle... for a lease up to 50K or the expiration of the bumper to bumper warranty. Then it needs to be dumped. Chassis and ride as well as fit and finish have come a LONG way on this vehicle, but time will tell about the rest of it. I'd wait for the inevitable lease deals to come along. Give it a month or two.  

Part of the doggy problem other than the 4 speed tras is the weight. This thing weight over 4300 lbs! A LOT heavier than the XC70 and  little heavier than the XC90. Typical americans though, despite the 250HP they really can't get it to the ground effeciently.  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif  

Jason

GeorgeXC70
06-24-2003, 09:32 AM
I stoped in to take a look at the Pacifica before I settled on the XC70.
I could sum this car up with the addage "all that glitters isnt always gold"!

I sort of like the looks of it from the outside but when I look at it a bit longer I see the minivan coming through.  Now all I see is a mini-van thats been squashed or had it top lopped off a bit and had some tough looking body cladding wrapped around it.

The same with the inside.  They seemed to have put some effort into making the interior flow well.  Then I looked a bit more and saw that everything was the standard cheap plastic North American cars seem to be always cursed with.  The looked really nice and plush but when I sat in them they did seem that comfortable.

Ive read the suspension bits come from the previous generation E-class Mercedes.

I sat in it and it was spacious!

In the end there were two things I couldnt deal with. 1) The emergency brake was an old style pedal that actuall intruder in a bit o far to the right for my comfort.
2) The sales staff were so arrogant .. they seemed to think they had the next Audi TT. they told me the price was what the sticker price which was pretty good since other places were charging over MSRP!  Im sorry Im not going to take attitude from a chysler sales guy!

Fortune magazine just reported they're not selling the Pacifica as well as hoped and so they're coming out with a brand new set of adds.  Hopefully this will show off the car a little better than the previous ones.  

I think it too much money for the people that might buy it and at the same time not enough stuff for the people they're hoping to sell it too.  In the end I would think if you like this type of car, why not just get the Chrysler Town&Country with the 4 wheel drive.. it would give you even more space.

To me the XC70 is the total opposite.  It has a beauty to it that is more enduring.  I love the looks of the xc70 from all sorts of different angle everytime I've seen it for the past 3 years.  Its doesnt look like anything else out there (except the v70).  And it has real functionality with increased ground clearance, AWD, a realiable engine and ofcourse a great price. Plu now it comes with free scheduled svc for 3 years!

So I guess my vote would be for the XC70 !

Low Tide
06-24-2003, 09:44 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Im sorry Im not going to take attitude from a chysler sales guy&#33;
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif &nbsp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif &nbsp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif &nbsp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif &nbsp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

I will second that. &nbsp; &nbsp;Cram your MSRP up your tailpipe buddy&#33; &nbsp; Give me a freak&#39;n break&#33; &nbsp;If its not &#036;5000 off, its not even on Sale yet&#33;

GeorgeXC70
06-24-2003, 12:33 PM
I just cant believe how rude and arrogant some car sales people are. &nbsp;One of the things about my dealings with Vovlo so far that has been a welcome change has been that they have been so nice... especially given they have a truly great car in the XC90 and have a reason to have a, &quot;take it at my price or stop wasting my time&quot; attitude. &nbsp;

-G

barrysharp
06-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Geeeesh -- I saw the &#39;light&#39; 30+ years ago. Sorry if I sound a bit cockey but just couldn&#39;t help myself on this one. One of the very first things that attracted me to Volvos was the sincere attentiveness I received at the first Volvo Dealership I visited in Buckhead just north of Atlanta.

My recent visit to Goteborg and the Volvo FDC brought it all back to me.

Way to go Volvo -- keep the good work up. Your loyal customers appreciate the efforts.

GeorgeXC70
06-24-2003, 01:07 PM
No problem .. I agree, I&#39;ve wanted one since I was about 15 and I went into a dealership by myself in Edmonton and the sales guy still took the time to answer my questions ... ofcourse this was about 15 years ago so ... you&#39;ll have to excuse me for not having you years of wisdom &nbsp; http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

ksmdxc70
06-25-2003, 04:09 AM
I also considered the Pacifica. &nbsp;I thought it was a unique design and liked the third seat being a standard part of the car + it is a forward facing third seat.

However, when we went to the dealership and saw it he was demonstrating how to expand the cargo area and the flap? to give a flat trunk space appeared to be cardboard like in its constuction. &nbsp;Did not look like it could hold up.

But the primary reason came down to price. &nbsp;This auto was too expensive for a manufacturer whos products don&#39;t hold their price on resell. &nbsp;Saturday I heard a Chrysler dealership bragging on the radio that the PT Cruisers that were selling for 22-25,000 just 2 years ago can be purchased for 13-15,000 today. &nbsp;Great for todays consumers but what about the ones who bought their &quot;new&quot; product a few years ago.

JMHO