PDA

View Full Version : Xeon Headlight replacement...

joe s.
12-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Well the story starts like this..
We took delivery of our new 2011 XC60 about 6 months ago, and I also ordered the active Xenon headlights. Shortly after delivery I noticed that
I had fingerprints on the INSIDE round lens on both lights. My dealer said that the factory rep would need to look at this and approve replacement of
the lights. The dealer ordered the replacement lights, and I took the car in this Monday to have them replaced. The dealer had the car for about an hour, and said that all was replaced and the car was ready to go. I took the car out last night and quickly knew that something was not right. If I had the low beams on, and was driving up a slight grade - the light pattern was hitting the road in front of me, and I had limited sight ahead of the car. Things seemed ok with the high beams. We are pretty sure that the lights are aimed too low.
I called the dealer this morning, and was told there they were not aware of any adjustment that could be made on these lights. I had already checked and found two hex adjustments on each light! Just kind of baffled that the dealer was telling me that they knew of no adjustments that were available?

Off to the dealer tomorrow to have them look at the lights again. If there are any resources available with how these lights should be aimed- please send my way - If I knew the measurements - I would just line them up myself.

Sorry for rambling on my first post :D

Thanks
Joe S.

acools
12-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Joe,

Indeed, each list has a hex adjustment for the vertical and horizontal alignment. I don't have the XC60, so I can't give you the rundown on which is which.

I would pull up to a wall, and tape a horizontal and vertical apex point for the light and give it 2-3 half turns. This will tell you which adjustment affects which alignment.

As far as performing a complete alignment, I changed my halogens to xenons and had to re-aim my lights. I followed the method from the link attached:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Hope this helps,

Andres

cattlecar
12-28-2011, 05:00 PM
VIDA tells you to do a headlight calibration on ABL lamps which leads techs to think the other can't be adjusted, it can.
Do what was suggested with the wall and hex screws. The height are the white (ivory?) 6mm at top.
The left - right are down below through the oval opening and I think they always have black caps over them that you can pop off.
CCW to raise the height.
I have never owned or driven any make of car that the factory specified adjustment was satisfactory for me.
I aim headlights on rental cars if I drive them much or very far at night.

Keegan
01-09-2012, 05:02 AM
[thumbup] great decision on this one. you should take your car to the dealer to get it fixed right away. test the lights before you leave the shop.

Hudson_L
02-04-2013, 01:03 AM
This is one way of getting one's self protected in the road. The better lighting the better driving. :)