PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Xenon bulb in 2006 XC90 V8

gisguy
12-26-2011, 10:39 AM
I am posting this thread because I wasn't able to find anything that helped me install a replacement D2R bulb in my XC90. I started with the cars user manual which states that the bulb should be replaced by Volvo. Its the Christmas holidays with lots of driving, the dealership is not open, so this is not an option.

Everything else I found described the process as very difficult or dangerous. I think these were posts for earlier models and the XC70.

I am fairly adventurous and somewhat technical, so I bought the $150 bulb and thought what the heck I'll give it a shot.

It couldn't have been easier. 10 minute job (only because I had never done it before).

Here's what I did.

1. Made sure the ignition was off and key was in my pocket.
2. Pulled the two pins behind the light assembly up and out.
3. The whole light assembly detaches from the vehicle with minimal force.
4. Unscrewed the large round cover behind the bulb.
5. Unclipped the sliver holder that contains the bulb (I am sure there is a technical name for this but I don't know it)
6.Pulled out the silver holder with gentle force.
7. Disconnected the plug at the bottom of the holder.
8. Removed the old bulb with a slight twist and pull.
9. Put the new bulb in, making sure that the square and round slot on the bulb faced away from the connector.
10. Reconnected the plug.
11. Put the bulb carefully back in the hole.
12. Put the clip back over the holder.
13. Slide the light assembly back in and replace the holding pins.

Easy easy.

I hope this helps someone else.

If there are some more safety precautions I should have taken, please add them to this thread. I am not a mechanic or any sort of automotive professional.

cattlecar
12-26-2011, 11:28 AM
The only thing I see no mention of is the handling of the bulb. The bulb should be handled with clean rubber gloves to assure no oils from human skin get on the glass. The glass gets very hot and any oils will burn onto the glass and can cause short bulb life. If in doubt the bulb can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol.
This warning applies to halogen bulbs too.

MartyinGA
04-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Thank you gisguy. I have to replace a D2R in my 2005 XC90 V8 and started digging into it on the forums, (after the manual said go to a Volvo dealer.) I'm assuming I can look at the bulb, once extracted, and see that it failed. The forums infer it might be a grounding problem. The forums also got into Rallye replacements, etc, etc. At $130+ a pop for the OEM Bi-Xenon D2R, I'll only do one at a time. Hope it will be as easy as you mentioned. Thanks.