PDA

View Full Version : Spin-On oil filter adapter?

MacNoob
12-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Does someone make an adapter to use a spin-on oil filter rather than the (messy, inconvenient, etc) canister-type stock filter?

The Volvo-style filters are about $12 here; normal spin-on filters about $6, so it wouldn't take many changes for an adapter to pay for itself.

My '07 just turned 45k km this week and got 5.5L of fresh 0W-40 with Wix filter.

edit: if not, probably worthwhile for me to order up a case of filters and the fancy canister tool from someone like IPD.

n00bkiller944
12-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Bingo on your edit point! :)

What i did was buy 10 filters for like 30 bucks off of a member who sold his xc :) worked well for me!

rmyin
12-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Does someone make an adapter to use a spin-on oil filter rather than the (messy, inconvenient, etc) canister-type stock filter?

The Volvo-style filters are about $12 here; normal spin-on filters about $6, so it wouldn't take many changes for an adapter to pay for itself.

My '07 just turned 45k km this week and got 5.5L of fresh 0W-40 with Wix filter.

edit: if not, probably worthwhile for me to order up a case of filters and the fancy canister tool from someone like IPD.

Spin on? for $6? So adding a metal can and added construction costs and it still is cheaper. don't you think you are getting a worse part?

Canister filters are great in many ways... less waste for one, I can see the actual filtration material... Stick with Mahle or Mann, don't go for the cheap stuff. The filtration paper is different as well as the density of the paper.

Fram used to repackage the Mann filters as their own and sell it for our volvos. They recently switched to a cheaper filter that uses plastic end caps. Our filters are pinch fit filters and they need to be pushed onto the inlet spindle so their is a seal. I don't see how the palstic end caps on the new Fram and other cheap filters can do that...

I can go on and on but I will refrain... Filters do matter... Oil change intervals are designed around oil capacity and filtration quality. just because it fits doesn't mean it works...

Astro14
12-16-2011, 07:43 AM
The factory filters are very good filters...so are the Mann filters that you get from IPD by the case. I think I paid $45 for a case of 10...that was a few years ago (and you can see from my post that I will use them for 2 cars).

I wouldn't go trying to re-plumb this, when the stock set-up is good...it's more a question of getting the stockers for lower cost...

And I think you're wise to use a synthetic (the 0W40 must be, by definition) in your climate...further, that oil can go the full service interval of 7500 miles/one year, keeping oil and filter costs reasonable...

MacNoob
12-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Right now I'm using A3/B3 rated 0W40 PAO full synth (Co-Op DMo SL). Should work just fine. The last two filters I bought (one Wix, one NAPA) were identical, made in Poland, and had plastic caps. Will watch for metal caps next time around.

Willy
12-16-2011, 09:33 AM
What do find messy about the canister type filter?
Willy

MacNoob
12-16-2011, 09:39 AM
What do find messy about the canister type filter?
Willy

Somehow I just manage to get me, my tools, and my garage more covered with oil dealing with canisters, and that's consistent across all the vehicles I've owned that have used them.

The XC is VERY clean compared to my ancient Chev 283 V8 (long gone) with canister though!

Willy
12-16-2011, 09:55 AM
I use the plastic bag method (think I read it here). Loosen the canister until it can be turned by hand force.
Now wrap a (not punctured ;)) plastic (shop) bag around the canister and further loosen it. No oil spill [happy]
Of course you will still have to remove the filter and the remaining oil from the canister :o
Willy

Xilikon
12-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Hope you drain the oil before removing the oil filter...

Willy
12-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Hope you drain the oil before removing the oil filter...
That depends....on the size of the bag I have at hand :cool:
Willy

justthefacts
12-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Right now I'm using A3/B3 rated 0W40 PAO full synth (Co-Op DMo SL). Should work just fine. The last two filters I bought (one Wix, one NAPA) were identical, made in Poland, and had plastic caps. Will watch for metal caps next time around.

I've been using the Wix/NAPA Gold cartridges. The end caps are plastic but the centers contain a neoprene gasket that provides a positive seal. Use these well-made-in-Poland filter cartridges with confidence. I don't really like the Volvo end cap material which requires a distortion to achieve a pinch fit. And upon close inspection I have often found pinholes in the end caps. A hole/void in the "wrong" spot would allow a tiny amount of oil to bypass the filter media. I got tired of checking for this and switched to the Wix.