PDA

View Full Version : Tires chirping on slow tight turn

guymon
12-15-2011, 07:29 PM
My front tires chirp a little when turning tight on my 2001 XC70, like one wheel is fighting the other. Since this is a new to me car is this normal or is something worn out. The car drives fine and no noises or pulling when driving on the freeway, Only when making a tight slow turn, they chirp a little or slip on the gravel.

guymon
12-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Ah just found this...
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12028&highlight=tight+turn
Weird?

Cyrus
12-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Yeah mine too...Welcome to AWD Volvo style[sly]

Jorge-789995
12-15-2011, 09:04 PM
I always thought that was AWD too, but it seems to change (get better) after an alignment. I think it has more to do with the alignment of the front wheels. I wonder if the Volvo spec is not optimal and if we tweaked it a little it would be better. I friend of mine drives a Tundra and that is what some of the Tundra drivers do. Instead of following the toyota spec, then tell the tech what they want. The truck apparently drives better. I don't know enough about alignment to fool with it or else I'd experiment. - sounds like a research project for a cold night in January.

Keith

rmyin
12-16-2011, 01:50 AM
Alignment is the usual cause... usually, at maximum radius turns, your two front tires don't turn the same amount so they track along differently...

Alignment usually help and this is typically the case with any car, FWD, RWD, AWD...