PDA

View Full Version : "Check Engine" light, sputtering idle, etc

rhauptschein
12-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Hey mates,

Anyone have a diagnosis on my 2001 XC70 with just >100K mileage.
Check Engine light on following service light.
Symptoms:
-Puttering idle upon engine start (in park)
-While in park, brake pedal does not depress (this happened once in reverse - scarey - I shut engine off)
-At red light with brake depressed, idle seems running high
-Release brake at red light, moves forward faster than usual
-When at speed on freeway, sluggish when accelerating
-When at speed on freeway, when take foot off accelerator, lurched forward once or twice

History: Just had service 3 weeks ago with replacement of timing belt.

Any diagnosis, explanation, etc?

Thanks in advance.

billr99
12-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Unless you see something obvious like a dislodged connector or vacuum hose somewhere, the first step will be to get the codes that are setting your CEL.

Good luck,

Bill

rhauptschein
12-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Brother-in-law mentioned the vacuum hose as a possibility. Did you think the last recent service caused this?

billr99
12-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Brother-in-law mentioned the vacuum hose as a possibility. Did you think the last recent service caused this?
When someone works on a car to the extent that you have mentioned, it is always a possibly that a vacuum line or electrical connector can get dislodged. IMHO that would be the first rule in this case since you did have work done, make sure they didn't screw something up that is obvious. So take a good look around the engine compartment and see if you can find anything that isn't the way it should be. Then if all looks well, get the codes.

Good luck,

Bill

Xilikon
12-11-2011, 05:46 AM
The symptoms related to brake made me think of the brake booster issue, which is indeed vaccum operated. That will tell you to double-check the vaccuum system for a missing connection or leak due to a brittle tube.

billr99
12-11-2011, 06:28 AM
The symptoms related to brake made me think of the brake booster issue, which is indeed vaccum operated. That will tell you to double-check the vaccuum system for a missing connection or leak due to a brittle tube.

Good point. [thumbup] Doh, I missed that obvious connection as to the first things the OP should look for. Thanks.

Cheers,

Bill

rhauptschein
12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Yup, appears to be brake booster valve. I'll let y'all know if that wasn't it. Thanks.