PDA

View Full Version : Tranny swap- 99 into 00 xc... is a marrying via software necessary?

Heath
12-10-2011, 10:14 AM
I just completed my swap and went for a test drive. After a mile or so of normal operation the transmission began bogging. It seemed to almost drop off into neutral. I would let off the gas a bit and things would return to normal. No CEL or flashing up arrow. It happened 3 times before I made it back home. I turned around immediately. I accelerated for the last stent of the drive and things seemed normal again. Driveshaft has yet to be reinstalled if for some reason that has a bearing on things. Upon inspection the fluid seemed a bit on the high side. I'm going to drain a little and check again.
I had a conversation with a volvo tech a while back and mentioned I would be changing out the transmission. He claimed it may be necessary to marry the new unit. Is this accurate?

JRL
12-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Who knows, it shouldn't. but you never know.
Do you have the TCM from the donor car and tranny?

Heath
12-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately I do not. I suppose I'll drain a bit of fluid and go for another test drive. It seems this is something that should either be required or not be. I don't understand the gray area.

JRL
12-10-2011, 01:54 PM
It's not a grey area I just don't really know, but as I said... theoretically it shouldn't, :confused: but who the hell knows with Volvo!

BEJinFBK
12-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't know either, but I thought it was
just the TCM that was car specific.
AFAIK, the tranny components are
simple solenoids and sensors, etc.
All the smart stuff is in the TCM.

Again - I don't know for certain.

Xilikon
12-11-2011, 05:37 AM
I think it has more to do with resetting the adaptation.

JRL
12-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Adaptions ALWAYS should be set when a new trans goes into a car

Heath
12-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Is the adaptation adjustment via dealer only? Will the car eventually adapt on it's own?

JRL
12-11-2011, 12:38 PM
If you don't want to go to the dealer remove the battery cables for at least a half hour, this should clear most of the adaptions, then try to do a drive cycle
(Try this first)
Don't forget your radio code

Volvo drive cycle

1.) Accelerate 0-50 MPH within 30 seconds…VERY SLOWLY
2.) Maintain 45-50 MPH for 20 minutes without using cruise control
3.) Park car, turn of A/C, idle for 5 minutes
4.) Accelerate 0-50 MPH within 30 seconds
5.) Maintain 45-50 MPH for 20 minutes without using cruise control
6.) Shut off car and allow to cool for 30 minutes before repeating cycle ( in some cases the car requires two cycles)

Heath
12-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info! On what I think is the 2-3 shift (around 30 mph) the transmission shifts then feels as though it boggs and downshifts again immediately. You can feel the car using the gears to slow down. I'm not certain it will even allow me to drive up to 50 mph. It's very odd. The first 2 gears feel completely normal and the car accelerates great. I took the cover off and tested the solenoids before installing this transmission. They were within spec although sometimes I hear they can still be bad. Would not having software adaptation cause symptoms such as these? Still no flashing up arrow or check engine light. Any ideas?