PDA

View Full Version : Bad transmission? Or something else?

fcd04
12-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I have an '04 XC70 with abt 83K miles on it. Heading to work this morning, first time ever, car is somewhat jerky/shaky when I try to accelerate over 60mph. Is this a sign that my transmission is about to fail? Car is absolutely fine and I notice nothing at slower speeds. First time I've ever noticed this before as well. Concerned I'm about to have to plunk down some major cash for a new transmission... any idea how much those run anyways? If anyone has any other ideas what it may be, pls let me know! Will have to wait until the weekend to take it in. Thanks!

kain
12-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Does the shaking occur under hard acceleration over 60mph or just maintaining speed over 60mph?

Start off by making sure your wheels are balanced and your alignment is good. It could be a number of things but this is probably the cheapest/easiest thing to check and should be first on the list.

greemero
12-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Could also be a sign that one or more of your ignition coils is starting to go bad. We had a similar issue in our 2001. Never threw a check engine code, and we dumped a lot of $$$ at the dealer trying to fix a transmission issue that turned out to be coils. They cost about $60 each online and you can replace all 5 in about 1/2 hour.