PDA

View Full Version : Slight screech at low speed (not brakes)

pdakid
12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
This is for a 2004 XC70

I am getting a high pitched screech (sounds like metal on metal) when at a crawling speed only and it happens only when the brakes are not being applied. It sounds like its coming from the front wheel areas but it's a pitch where I can't really tell... It really only happens when pulling in to of parking spots and drive thrus with tight corners.

I haven't done any looking around as it does not have any effect on driving/operation at all, just thought I would get some ideas from you all first.

I had read about the exhaust expanding and rubbing the driveshaft, but it doesn't sound like its far back enough to be that and I don't think it was after a puddle or any temperature below 40F outside.

Any known issues for these cars with the axels or steering or possibly steering pump?

Seamus
12-06-2011, 01:45 PM
i just started getting a similar noise in my fwd S60 last weekend. its hard to duplicate, but it sounds identical to your problem. i still have no idea what it can be cause its too hard to duplicate

sjonnie
12-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Dust shield?

Astro14
12-06-2011, 07:00 PM
You're certain that it's not the simple cause: front pads worn out...

Worn pads, by design, will squeak at low speeds, and the squeak goes away with brakes applied.

Seamus
12-06-2011, 07:04 PM
if his noise is the same as mine, its definitely not the brakes. my brakes are fairly new, and i know what bare pads sound like. i cant describe what else can make this sound. its really high pitched, and lasts probably a second.

uscgc70
12-06-2011, 07:09 PM
dust shield, or missing the spring that keeps the pads tight in the caliper?

pdakid
12-06-2011, 08:15 PM
You're certain that it's not the simple cause: front pads worn out...

Worn pads, by design, will squeak at low speeds, and the squeak goes away with brakes applied.

I'm 100% certain it's not worn pads, they are only a couple thousand miles in, so they are def past the break in period as well, plus I know the sound of worn brake pads this is much higher pitched and it happens when not using the brake. Also, to answer the next question you might have about the brakes- no the caliper is not sticking because there is almost no resistance.

I'll be taking the wheels off this weekend to have a look, I couldn't tell from the part diagrams I found if anything might cause this with the dust shield...

I'll be under the hood this weekend anyways so I guess I'll have a look and keep you posted.

http://data.eeuroparts.com/Images/diagrams/lg_d66fd980-b0c2-4bfa-bd60-60e98a04df5a.gif
http://www.tascaparts.com/schematics/9/9712280.gif

shanxk8
12-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Is there a piece of gravel between the brake pad and the disc? It happened to us on our mazda6. It would intermittently appear and disappear. It sounded terrible and had me a little worried until i popped off a wheel and figured it out.

mavitec
12-08-2011, 04:51 AM
I had same problem on my car (2001 XC 70). I removed the frt wheel sensor (4) to find that the sensor was slightly touching the notched wheel. Check most probably one front wheel bearing is loose or the bolt holding the half shaft is loose or missing. To find wich side; If the problem occurs when turning right it is a left wheel sensor and most probably the frt one. If the bearing is still tight you can just add a small washer between the sensor and the knuckle. On my car It solved the problem after over 1 year still OK.

Mario