PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of purchasing a 2004 XC70, any help would be appreciated.

October Sky
12-04-2011, 03:47 PM
:Hello world:
I'll provide entirely too much background but the 4 bolded bullet points below basically surmise my purpose, should you not feel like reading it all.

As the title states, I'm in the market for a XC70. I'm looking for 2004 because I want to keep my payments basically non-existent (putting $Iowa down to keep payments low). I've found a good car, dealer serviced until 79,000, traded in, then a subsequent owner put on 11,000 miles and there's no maintenance records for that time, for those who are not mathematically inclined, that's 90,000 miles total. It was then traded in again for an SUV.

I've read, extensively, the issues with these cars and have test driven 3 similar models. This one seems the best of the lot, and it's priced where I want it.

I have 4 hold-ups about the car.

1. It only comes with 1 key. As I understand it, they're essentially $150 for a new key/fob when ever thing is said and done. I got a bit confused between which year was $150, so I'm basically asking if my understanding is correct. Also, my sister is leasing a S60 and had one prior to that. I'm hoping I can parlay her relationship with the dealer into a discount on the price of a new key.

2. Tow hitch. I'm a bit confused about the tow hitch availability. I know an aftermarket hitch can be installed, but are these cars set up with part of a hitch, and then the receiver is put on? I can't figure it out and my research has just lead to more confusion on my end. I'm looking for a hitch to tow a homemade duck-hunting boat, lighter than 150 pounds without the motor, not sure what motor will go on, but that would at most be another 100 pounds. Probably on a jet-ski trailer or very small boat trailer.

3. Common Issues: are there any? I found common issues for the 2001-2002, but I can't really find anything about the 2004 (except the headlight issue, but the maintenance records of this vehicle show them being replaced roughly every 2 years, so that doesn't seem to match the 6 month intervals people here are reporting).

4. Roof rack cross rails. Where's the best deal on them? I would fabricate them if need be.

I guess that's it. There was more but I figured it out on my own.

Backstory. Had a Subaru Impreza WRX but recently sold it. I did all the work on that, from complete suspension to full exhaust, brakes/pads/rotors, redid the interior (OEM skins to update worn parts), shifter, engine management, and all general maintenance etc. Basically did everything but the clutch. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and generally love to be able to work on my own car.
I don't want an SUV because of the simply deplorable gas mileage. I want the room of a wagon because I hunt ducks somewhat religiously and could really use the room for my decoys/waders/guns/etc. I pulled it off in my Impreza by using the trunk+backseat but that was pretty much a PITA and lead to an untidy car. The ride-heigh of the XC70 will also be beneficial regarding hunting. I'm used to Subaru's (IMHO superior) AWD, but plan on having snow tires, and generally can handle a car in the snow (drove a RWD with all seasons for 2 NY winters).
As for the car. It's tan or gold or a combination of both with chocolate leather interior. Coming out of Pennsylvania so has likely seen salty roads. Absolutely no dents/dings/rust to speak of. Has practically every option, including 3rd row seat, no xenon and no navigation (but I have a Garmin so that's fine).

This is my first post, but I've been reading a ton. I always over do it when it comes to researching purchases, and I am no different with this.

Should anyone be so inclined, feel free to post what you think a proper offer is on this. I won't say what I'm going with so as to not bias the pool.

Thanks again.

stupidloose
12-04-2011, 05:25 PM
First off, Welcome to the forum!!! I cannot give you any advice as far as alot of problems because this is my first AWD Volvo as well. I have owned many in the past but this is a whole new animal. Just for comparison, I just picked up my '05 XC70 with 75,000 miles on it here in PA from a private seller for $12,500. I think I got a good deal because its spotless with no issues. For estimates on value try Kelly Blue Book, It will get you close.http://www.kbb.com/

dsb
12-08-2011, 02:51 PM
4. Roof rack cross rails. Where's the best deal on them? I would fabricate them if need be.[/B]

I would get the Volvo OEM crossbars.

I got a set of the rectangle-profile at my local dealership for just over $150 (made by Thule).
Just a set of four Thule anchors would be that much.

One possible drawback about them is that they are fixed-length: I don't think you can switch out longer bars later.
The rectangular OEM bars can hold two whitewater kayaks side-by-side.

Ars Gladius
12-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum.

1. It only comes with 1 key. As I understand it, they're essentially $150 for a new key/fob when ever thing is said and done. I got a bit confused between which year was $150, so I'm basically asking if my understanding is correct. Also, my sister is leasing a S60 and had one prior to that. I'm hoping I can parlay her relationship with the dealer into a discount on the price of a new key.

Yes, the keys are expensive. Yes, you can only do it through a dealer. It may be more then $150, you'll have to check with them. Use whatever bargaining you got.

2. Tow hitch. I'm a bit confused about the tow hitch availability. I know an aftermarket hitch can be installed, but are these cars set up with part of a hitch, and then the receiver is put on? I can't figure it out and my research has just lead to more confusion on my end. I'm looking for a hitch to tow a homemade duck-hunting boat, lighter than 150 pounds without the motor, not sure what motor will go on, but that would at most be another 100 pounds. Probably on a jet-ski trailer or very small boat trailer.

There are only bolt holes in the car frame, there is not hitch or part therof pre-installed.

Two choices: Volvo or Aftermarket.

Volvo (https://www.volvowholesaleparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=370712&siteid=213784&catalogid=662): Expensive, 2" Receiver (can be good for hitch mounted racks)

Aftermarket (http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2004_Volvo_XC70.htm): Less Expensive, 1.25" Receiver (correct size for Class 2 tow rating).

When I hitch mine, I will be going aftermarket as the savings are substantial for what is essentially identical steel.

Either way, it is suggested that you get the Volvo OEM (https://www.volvowholesaleparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=374318&siteid=213784&catalogid=662&tab=24828) wire harness, it just make life easier. There are several options, I would check with the dealer for the correct one (as I have not looked deeply into this part yet), and then order online. The MY01-04 do not require a programing change or extra module for the basic harness (4-pin) (as far as I know).

3. Common Issues: are there any? I found common issues for the 2001-2002, but I can't really find anything about the 2004 (except the headlight issue, but the maintenance records of this vehicle show them being replaced roughly every 2 years, so that doesn't seem to match the 6 month intervals people here are reporting).

Headlight issue varies by bulb that is installed, quality, etc, etc. For me, I have had one headlight bulb go in 13 months and it was a low beam one.

Have the front springs inspected, some people have had issues with them breaking (myself included). This seems to apply to all P2 XC70s (01-07, mostly clustered in the earlier years).

Check the upper engine mount and lower transmission torque mount for wear (common again for all P2 XC70s).

4. Roof rack cross rails. Where's the best deal on them? I would fabricate them if need be.

Buy Volvo OEM (http://volvowholesaleparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=783890&siteid=213784&catalogid=5009) square (made by Thule) if you are going to be adding accessories. They can fit two kayaks, 3 bikes, etc).

If you want looks, get the Volvo OEM (http://volvowholesaleparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=783889&siteid=213784&catalogid=5009) wing profile bars. They may require adapters for aftermarket accessories.

Both are much less expensive then the retail Thule or Yakima ones.

I went with the Volvo square ones.

svenska572
12-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Not sure if you've already made a decision, but I've had my 2004 XC70 since day one and have had no issues with it. I have taken it in for every scheduled service as well. It currently has 89,000 miles on it.

As for the roof rails, I bought the Thule square cross bars and the bigger "coffin", as I like to call it. While they weren't cheap, I am very happy with them and like how they install.

I too have thought about the trailer hitch but haven't added one...yet. I would like to get one because I am interested in buying the Thule bike rack. Putting the bikes on top of the car is fine for me, but not for my wife.

damajor
12-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Sounds like you are doing your homework. Super!
1. Keys for all new cars are an expensive pain. Try the internet.
2. Hitch, I recommend the Volvo. You can put it on yourself, but wait for warm weather or a heated garage. I towed a 600 pound sailboat back and forth to California twice, and got 23.5 mpg. The Volvo hitch also takes the bike rack, as noted.
3. Issues have been very few. I just replaced a motor mount after 95,000 miles. Other than brakes, tires and light bulbs, that was about all.
4. Racks are on sale once in a while at REI; the Volvo/Thule racks will hold two kayaks.
Best wishes for you and your new Volvo.