PDA

View Full Version : Bad AOC pump need input...

carboncow
12-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Since getting our 2003 XC70 the AWD has not worked. With my Vida Dice and input from forum we show current to the AOC pump but no pressure to this common failure item.

Who has done this?

Here are my questions:

1. Procedures show to drop the exhaust but this isn't going to happen without doing damage to our old exhaust. Seems to be lots of room in the area to get at the driveshaft flange anyone left the exhaust on?

2. Is this a Volvo only fluid or is it nothing more then a hydraulic fluid that can be sourced differently? Is it filled in the filter housing and just fill until it comes out? Write ups are not very clear on refilling.

3. Seems like the pressure switch is another failure point and I have not been able give a procedure/info to rule that out. It appears it could be replaced later as it's just under the DEM. Should they be done together as the two common failure points?

Power showed 12-13K milliamps to the pump but 0kpa pressure with the car on. Current was also shown to the solenoid too but I forget the value.

How does this pump really work in the equation to engage the clutch for the haldex, I'm failing to understand slip, pump, clutch steps but I understand the principal of a viscous coupling.

stupidloose
12-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Not that this helps you doing it yourself, But I just had mine done at the dealer including parts and labor for $780.00 if you were interested. I didn't want to tackle it myself since I don't have a whole lot of experience with these AWD's. I know on the paperwork that they charged me for Volvo Haldex fluid. Let us know how you make out if you decide to do it.

carboncow
12-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Quotes are always helpful, thanks. How much of it was the pump? What year an mileage? Good info for the community.

My best online source is $260 so I"m curious to what they list for labor.

Regrettably I have to commit to DIY as my two volvos are just breaking me and if I had to pay pros I'd be out on the streets. Right now it's a major item every other month!

But this job does have a "feel" that I should leave to the pros. My exhaust looks to be fragile if moved and I know the dealer would want to replace items.

stupidloose
12-03-2011, 08:18 PM
My XC is an '05 with 80,000 miles on it, And owned previousely by a business man who took good care of it. Parts, which included the pump and trannsmission oil ran $380.00; Labor was another $400.00 which included the diagnostic scan and software upload when completed. I used to do all my own work on all my other 70 series, But with this car, It seems that everything I get into turns into a project that gets over my head. Especially with all the computer stuff. Heck, Just changing out my stereo last week now rendered my SRS airbag light on that they want $100 to reset. Ive accepted the fact that the days of fixing things with "Wrenches" are slowly dissapearing. I just try to keep a blank credit card in case of a hefty repair.