PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake Springs

jsimons944
12-02-2011, 04:08 PM
As discussed in a few previous posts, the parkng brakes can become corroded to the point that the car will not move. This occurs even when the parking brakes have not been set. After 3 years in Ontario, the inner workings of the parking brake drum on my 06 were corroded and some of the shoes were separated.

I bought new pads and keeper springs from IPD. It was a relatively straight-forward installation following the previously posted procedure, except for the springs. I suppose someone on the assembly line might do this hundreds of times a day, with a couple of special tools, but for a casual mechanic getting all springs back on was frustrating, but not impossible.

This post is primarily to suggest that anyone who is preparing to replace the parking brake pads should first go to the dealer, or a website, to buy the other two springs, as a simple matter of "fix everything, as long as you have it open." My springs were marginal, but I had to reuse them, and cross my fingers.

I NEVER use the parking brake; that neglect contributed to the problem. I'd suggest exercising the parkng brake occasionally, while driving in heavy rain to break free and flush some of the rust. That might also minimize shoe failure, as rust caused the delamination.

Astro14
12-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Good advice. Using the parking brake every time (aside from being recommended in the manual...) seems to keep it from degrading as quickly...I set the parking brake every time in the XC and the T5...never had a problem with either of them...

Ars Gladius
12-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Same here, I use the parking brake every time I park (hold over from driving a stick and IMO a safe practice) and have had no issues so far. I also occasionally test it a slow speed.

Parking brake will get serviced in the spring, along with the new brakes, and as you mentioned I plan to replace all the springs while I am in there.