PDA

View Full Version : How long should a thermostat last?

kain
11-23-2011, 10:50 AM
I replaced it in 2009 and I am now experiencing faulty thermostat issues again. I would have thought it would last longer than 2 years.

Either way I have a new thermostat and coolant temp sensor on the way from FCP.

Astro14
11-23-2011, 04:53 PM
I would think a thermostat should last 10+ years...I still have the OE ones in both cars and they work without issue, though I will replace them at the next coolant flush...

You sure it's the thermostat and not a bad reading from a temp sensor?

JRL
11-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Depends on where you are, what coolant you're using, how often it's changed, yada yada, etc.
Most last at least 5-8 years and 65-90K miles

kain
11-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Replaced the sensor and still don't have correct temp readings. I left the old t-stat in the car as I am not sure the one FCP sent me is correct.

The t-stat in the car right now is 87 deg (replaced in '09, purchased from FCP) and the new one FCP sent me is also 87 deg as that is the one they say is OEM for my car. It seems from other threads that I should have the 92 deg, not the 87 deg. Is there any downside to using the 87 deg? Could that be why the t-stat seems to have prematurely failed? Again, it is a 2001 XC70.

kain
11-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Anyone?

vengeanceis
11-28-2011, 07:39 PM
from what I remember, you need 90, or 92 degrees, not 87.

i have 92 in mine. gauge is in the middle when warmed up.

sjonnie
11-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Buy this (http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5342/103084-thermostat) from IPD seeing as FCP don't appear to be able to sell you the correct part. It's a 90C thermostat.

kain
11-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Thanks guys.

kain
11-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Representative from FCP told me that 87° is correct for my car given our climate in New England.

165,000 miles
Water pump < 1 yr old
Prestone coolant, mixed to 50/50; changed yearly
No symptoms of car running hot or cold

Keep the 87° or go 90°/92°?

sjonnie
11-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Engines run cooler in cold climates, so if anything you'd need a higher temp thermostat :confused:

06ORXC
11-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Negative, the engine runs always at same temperature regardless of where it is.
Thermostat is the same and fan on/off switch is the same temp in all XC70 regardless of where they are sold....
Also, I'm not sure if Prestone is actually a proper fluid, my '06 can only use the Volvo fluid and the gauge always shows have way, all year long.
Kain, go to a dealer, get the proper thermostat and coolant.
You do not need to change it yearly, every 30k is plenty, that would offset the price difference You will pay at the dealer.

:)

kain
11-30-2011, 09:52 AM
My gauge shows half way all year long too, summer or winter, except for when the t-stat is shot (i.e. now).

I do about 25k a year with this car so yearly is pretty close to your suggested interval for changes.

Prestone is phosphate, silicate and borate free so I am think I shouldn't have a problem using it. Plenty of other members have expressed the same sentiment so I am not too worried about the coolant choice. This wouldn't be the first thing we have done on these cars that goes against what Volvo says (tranny fluid swap is the first that comes to mind).

FWIW I just spoke with the parts guy at my dealer, OEM t-stat is 90°C and runs $25.

Thanks again to everyone for the input. Always helpful.

Astro14
11-30-2011, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't be so cavalier about the coolant...I've heard of MB engines (which specify a similar chemistry) filling up with gel that results from incompatible coolant chemistry of Prestone...and that destroys the engines...

Zerex G-05 is the closest to chemsitry to Volvo's BG coolant, I would go with that before anything else...

As far as the tranny fluid, they specify JWS-3309, so the only thing that Volvo has done wrong there is charge a fortune for it...you can get JWS-3309 from a variety of sources...

kain
12-01-2011, 06:35 AM
I wouldn't be so cavalier about the coolant...I've heard of MB engines (which specify a similar chemistry) filling up with gel that results from incompatible coolant chemistry of Prestone...and that destroys the engines...

Zerex G-05 is the closest to chemsitry to Volvo's BG coolant, I would go with that before anything else...

Has anyone seen an issue with these cars specifically when using Prestone? (not topping off with Prestone but using it after a complete drain, flush and refill) Will I see gel in my coolant when I do flushes if it is happening? I have put close to 60k miles on the car using Prestone with no issues so far and no evidence of gel. I suppose I could always start using the Zerex from now on just to be safe.

As far as the tranny fluid, they specify JWS-3309, so the only thing that Volvo has done wrong there is charge a fortune for it...you can get JWS-3309 from a variety of sources...

I was referring to the fact that Volvo considers the tranny a sealed system and does not recommend changing the tranny fluid. Dealer wouldn't enterain the thought when I brought it up. Most users on this forum have done a tranny fluid swap at some point in an effort to keep the thing from crapping out on them. From the many threads I have read I agree to use JWS-3309 only in these trannys, the Mobil ATF-3309 is the cheapest I can find in my area.

JRL
12-01-2011, 06:40 AM
I don't think Volvo cooling systems are as finicky as you think

billr99
12-01-2011, 09:39 AM
I don't think Volvo cooling systems are as finicky as you think

I agree. I've used Prestone in all my Volvos and have never had a problem over fairly extensive miles. That's red blocks, white blocks and even the PRV block I had in my 265. If anything would have been problematic it would have been the PRV. What a POS that thing was!

Cheers,

Bill

Astro14
12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
I am all about avoiding risk and using specified materials/products...

As long as the system is thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly, flushed...you can change chemistry from OAT...but most folks don't get it all out...and the damage done to the MBs was from ignorant owners pouring Prestone into a car that came with OAT coolant, either adding it, or using it after a flushing (which failed to remove all the factory coolant).

It's not the CAR that is finicky...it is simple chemistry of one type of coolant to another...You can't mix Prestone green with GM Dexcool for example...basic Prestone is still not OAT, though it is phosphate, silicate and borate free...and while Prestone says it mixes with everything, I am skeptical about that, because Valvoline says their blue-green (same stuff) won't...Consider this: if regular Prestone mixed with everything, why does Prestone sell a specific Dexcool?

Total system capacity on this car is about 8 Qts. Volvo charged me $25 for the last gallon of Volvo coolant...enough to do an entire system flush/replacement. Prestone (last I checked) was about $15/gallon....so...you're saving, what, $10? And how often do you flush it?

billr99
12-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I am all about avoiding risk and using specified materials/products...

As long as the system is thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly, flushed...you can change chemistry from OAT...but most folks don't get it all out...and the damage done to the MBs was from ignorant owners pouring Prestone into a car that came with OAT coolant, either adding it, or using it after a flushing (which failed to remove all the factory coolant).

It's not the CAR that is finicky...it is simple chemistry of one type of coolant to another...You can't mix Prestone green with GM Dexcool for example...basic Prestone is still not OAT, though it is phosphate, silicate and borate free...and while Prestone says it mixes with everything, I am skeptical about that, because Valvoline says their blue-green (same stuff) won't...Consider this: if regular Prestone mixed with everything, why does Prestone sell a specific Dexcool?

Total system capacity on this car is about 8 Qts. Volvo charged me $25 for the last gallon of Volvo coolant...enough to do an entire system flush/replacement. Prestone (last I checked) was about $15/gallon....so...you're saving, what, $10? And how often do you flush it?
I think this has been discussed before, but when, if ever, has Volvo factory-filled and/or specified an OAT coolant? My experience stops with my '02 and at least up to that point all was cool (so to speak) with Prestone-type coolants.

Cheers,

Bill

sjonnie
12-01-2011, 05:09 PM
basic Prestone is still not OAT
Actually that's exactly what it is.
http://www.prestone.com/sites/default/p/uploads/en/ingredientstatements.pdf

Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant (AF-2000)
Ethylene Glycol, 2-Ethyl Hexanoic Acid Sodium Salt, Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Neodecanoic Acid Sodium Salt, Sodium Tolytriazole, Dye, n-Propanol, Polypropylene Glycol.

2-ethylhexanoic acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Ethylhexanoic_acid) and neodecanoic acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodecanoic_acid) are the organic acids. The rest are boiling point modifiers, buffering components & dye.

DYZ
12-01-2011, 06:40 PM
As far as I know Fleetguard ES Compleat is the only coolant with blue color. If you look it up, the bottle used by Fleetguard ES Compleat is identical to Volvo's. On the company's web (Cummins Filtration) it says the coolant meets or exceed the requirements of Volvo. So, make you own guess.

DYZ

Astro14
12-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Then Prestone has changed the formula and I stand corrected...

kain
12-27-2011, 05:50 AM
UPDATE:

My temp gauge has been at the 1/2 mark ever since I have owned the car except for when the t-stat has crapped out. Now that I have a new temp sensor and have replaced the 87° stat with a 90° stat the needle rides a tick to a tick and a half below the 1/2 mark. When I drive to work in the morning (42 miles highway) the temp gauge never gets to the 1/2 mark. If I get off the highway and continue to drive back roads the gauge will eventually make it up to the 1/2 mark. And now my CEL came on this morning, I am guessing from low coolant temp but will check when I get home. What gives? Any ideas?

JRL
12-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Wrong thermostat, very simple

kain
12-27-2011, 07:53 AM
So is 87° correct? I was told by IPD, Volvo and forum posters (see this thread) that 90° is OEM for my car and 87° is not.

JRL
12-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Spend the extra 15 bucks and buy a Volvo thermostat, that way you know you're assured of buying the correct one

kain
12-27-2011, 08:24 AM
The Volvo thermostat from my dealership parts department is a 90° t-stat, same that is in my car right now. I suppose there is a chance that the brand new t-stat I installed is faulty but unlikely. I guess trying the dealer t-stat is my last easy option.

Astro14
12-27-2011, 03:29 PM
I've seen several new aftermarket parts that turned out to be faulty...not as unlikely as you might believe...