PDA

View Full Version : Viscous Coupling, Rear Differential, Other?

DAK
11-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Ok....so I've just replaced the Front Brg Hubs, all Brakes, Rotors, EBrake Cables, EBrake Shoes, Drive Shaft, R-Front Axle, Brake Hoses, new fluids in the Bevel/Angle Gear and Differential...on my '98 V70XC, 145K. Took it for a test ride - no strange noises...was a good feeling. I took it to a parking lot to do some tight circles and noticed that the rear wheels wanted to "skip/push" like they were either locking up, or the outside wheel would not slip properly (left hand turn seemed worse). But, the more circles and figure eights I did, the less the problem seemed to occur. (There was a crunching sound like the VC would break loose and the "skipping" would stop, or the Rear Differential would break loose and allow the wheels to freewheel?)

The car did have the Drive Shaft out when I bought it...so I was anticipating something other than a bad shaft to be the problem. I do not hear noise from the Bevel/Angle Gear, and I do not hear any noise coming from the rear differential - going straight (slow/at speed). I did not see any fluids leaking from the Rear Diff, VC, or BG. The issue I have is when I do some tight turns, the outside rear wheel appears to "skip/lock up" and wants to push the car forward - noticed this because the parking lot was somewhat ice covered and slippery. (But again, it appears to go away once I've done a few tight turns...).

Anyone with some insight to this issue, or is this typical? (Had a Jeep Cherokee that did the same thing, but it was a transfer case issue.....) It looks like the RRear Axle has been replaced, along with the RFront and LRear...but couldn't guarantee...

Thanks

cattlecar
11-25-2011, 08:53 AM
When the VC is hot on these cars they sort of lock up and behave just like you describe.
What gets the VC Hot?
1. front tires smaller than rears, not limited to different make tires frt to rear but also identical tires with more worn on front.
2. If there is wheelspin, this makes for speed difference that also heat up the VC.

The VC will cool off and then work correctly again unless there is something wrong with it.

ALWAYS the smaller circumference tires go on rear, if there is a difference in the circumference. Small tires make a slightly greater speed and the rear out running the front is good, front overspeeding the rear is bad as that is when the VC is supposed to firm up and send torque to rear. There is a one-way clutch to allow the rear to freewheel and not drive fronts when the rear overspeeds fronts.