PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems (battery/starter)

shanxk8
11-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Hello All,

--Update--

I was able to get the car started by tapping/whacking the solenoid on the starter while trying to start it. So the battery is not the issue. Does this indicate that the solenoid needs to be replaced?

I'm going to try taking the solenoid off and clean the contacts. An i guess keep a wrench on hand to give it another whack.
--

--Original message--

I have an '01 v70XC that is not starting. (was -3C when it initially wouldn't start, now today it is -15C)

It had been driven 5 days prior, but upon returning from a trip (at -3C) it would not start. (even with a jump start from another vehicle) so we left it for the next day.

Next day went with our 2nd car to see if i could try to jump start it again & it still would not start. So (following procedure in owners manual) I removed the battery to take home & sort it out.
I connected it to a batter charger, which indicated it was at 20% (dunno how it estimates that) so i left it. Later the battery was charged, so I went to take it back to the car to get it to start. I stopped at a NAPA on the way to get battery tested, they said it was in good shape. So I went happily to retrieve my car.

No starting. Tried again to jump it, same. Put it into reverse and let it roll back 1/2 a foot, then tried again, still no starting.

There is no clicking when i turn the key.

Sorry for the long rambling message, I thought more detail would help.
Thanks in advance,
David

(What a nice way to be welcomed home after a vacation)

RichS
11-18-2011, 08:00 PM
My '02 behaved the same way (though in July) starting one day but not a few days later. After a false 'faulty solenoid' diagnosis, I learned the real problem was due to poor connections to the solenoid/starter. Though my indy mechanic wanted to replace these components, I chose to (only) have the terminals/contacts cleaned. I haven't had a starting problem since.

I am not sure what to make of your battery issue, though. As you are likely aware, there could be several causes. I found a $5 hydrometer useful for diagnosing a battery that measured 12 - 12.4 volts and was capable of starting the car. The battery was just 3 1/2 years old but, as it turned out, had 2 bad cells.

Astro14
11-19-2011, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't be sure that "the battery is not the issue" unless it was load tested or replaced...

I would simply have the starter rebuilt. A good rebuilder can do it for about $125...far cheaper than a new or rebuilt from autoparts stores...it's Bosch...standard parts...I've got 3 years on a rebuild in my T5...works great...

shanxk8
11-19-2011, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't be sure that "the battery is not the issue" unless it was load tested or replaced...

I would simply have the starter rebuilt. A good rebuilder can do it for about $125...far cheaper than a new or rebuilt from autoparts stores...it's Bosch...standard parts...I've got 3 years on a rebuild in my T5...works great...

I actually did have the battery load tested @ NAPA before i took it back to the car to try to start it the 2nd time.

I would like to give the solenoid contacts a cleaning. I just spent a little while outside in my [cold] garage trying to see how to get in there to do so. It either looks like i would need to take a few other parts off or make a really awkward effort to get in there without removing anything.
I suspect removing the starter fuse & relay will disconnect any power while i'm working on it?

I gave up for today as its -20c outside, so probably -5 or -10 in my garage. I'll have to wait for a warmer day.

David

Astro14
11-19-2011, 12:11 PM
The starter is a bit of a PITA to get out. Have to remove the charge air pipe and a few other things...but by the time you do that...esp. in an Calgary winter...why not take it down to your local rebuilder, have it checked out and re-done? My guy charges about $100 US, same day service...that will eliminate brushes/armature and solenoid as causes and you can clean the wires while it is out...right now, you are only guessing on the cause until the starter itself is analyzed and fixed...

Unless you like having repeat problems...getting stranded...and wrestling that thing out multiple times in the freezing cold...

shanxk8
11-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Anyone from Calgary ever had a starter rebuilt and/or able to recommend a place to call?