PDA

View Full Version : Indy Shop Vent!

Jorge-789995
11-16-2011, 12:10 PM
I have to blow off some steam regarding an indy shop that I've been dealing with.

As usual, it's a long story so I'll summarize it.

Refusal to provide an estimate: I need drive axles, so I called to get an estimate of about how much they would charge to do it. They refused to provide an estimate saying they needed to see the car. I doubt this is the case because I can order a pair of drive axles from a dealer without taking it in. I suspect the approach is to get the car in the shop, disassembled and then slap down the estimate. Most people would just go ahead with the repair because at that point, it's a hassle to try and shop around. The brush-off I got when requesting an estimate was irritating to say the least. They did provide an estimate once the car was in their shop, but it was for $1416 installed. That turns out to be about $200 more than the dealer.

Diagnostic charges: I refuse to pay for diagnostic charges when I already know what the problem is and I tell them exactly what needs to be done. I understand there will be troubleshooting charges if I drop off the car saying the damn thing is broke - fix it. But I don't do that. I tell them exactly what I want done. They say it's policy that in order to warranty the work, then need to diagnose the problem. That makes no sense. So they won't stand behind work they do unless they do the diagnosis? What does a warranty have to do with who does the diagnosis? If they diagnose something incorrectly is there a remedy? No, so why is that any different if I diagnose something correctly or incorrectly? Specific example - I need drive axles and they want to charge me $65 to diagnose that I need new drive axles. If I wanted an oil change do they charge me to check the mileage and confirm that yep, I need an oil change?

Prices: I understand that they need to keep the lights on and the doors open, but I sense that there is a minimum of about $300 to get out the door. Some of the prices they charge are just silly. Asking $1400 for drive axles is a good example. I can get them for $700, so that's another $700 for install? I needed to have my inner tie rods replaced under warranty. They were going to replace the inners and do a front wheel alignment. I also wanted to replace the outer tie rods so I provided OE tie rods and thought it's probably easier for them to do it all at once rather than me doing the outer and them doing the inner. They wanted $100 to install the outer tie rods. If you've been in there, you know that that's $50 per nut. Did I miss something there? You have to separate the inner and outer to replace the inner anyway, so that leaves one nut per side.... for $100. It seems they are going to get their money no matter what. $300 minimum to drive through the door.

I need to find a different shop.

I feel like prey or like I've got blood sucking leaches attached. There is more to it than this, but this is a good outline of the main idea...

I did my own PCV job, struts, shocks, brakes, wheel bearing etc, so I just need to expand and do it all.

thanks for the vent. It was long - I'm just very irritated right now. I don't mind paying a fair price even for something I can do myself, but I hate feeling screwed.

End of rant.

Keith

JRL
11-16-2011, 01:06 PM
I need to find a different shop.

Keith
You most certainly do.
In Ca the LAW requires a written estimate, if the bill at the end of the job is more, they have to provide writen documentation as to why.

TiredGeek
11-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Just wait for them to go bust and then go to the new guys. Sounds like it won't be long.....