PDA

View Full Version : XC70: Questions from newbie

prisoner
11-14-2011, 07:16 PM
I am a newbie for sure. I have some questions/concerns (statements) that are on my mind while researching the brand and models.

1. How real a concern is reliability? I have been used to a Toyota for the last 7 years that has required brake pads, oil changes and a battery within 80K. The car is vanilla as can be and I don't like the ride, but it has been reliable. I can stomach some repairs. I do not, however, want to deal with undiagnosable electric issues, transmissions failing below 100K, or major engine work under 125K. It seems like the XC70 and XC60 (both on my list) range from average to slightly above average in reliability. Perhaps I'm still nervous from an old Saab that I owned.

2. How straightforward and comprehensive can I expect that Safe and Secure Coverage Plan to be for me?

3. My wife will leave car purchasing up to me. I'm looking at the XC70 and XC60. I prefer the XC70. I think she would prefer the XC60. I don't care about SUV styling or features and think I might get more with the XC70. Also, I think the XC70 is for all intents and purposes an SUV anyway. I'm 37 years old. Should I not be buying a wagon? Left to my own choices I'd get the 70. Feedback here please.

4. We are expecting a baby in February (our first). I'm driving a 7 year old Toyota Corolla (which I'll keep until it dies). I'm attracted to Volvo's safety features and record, not to mention how substantial the vehicles are. I expect to keep this potential purchase for a long time, if not until the car is ready for the yard.

Any and all thoughts will be welcome and appreciated! Thanks to everyone in advance. And, please do give me your thoughts, share your knowledge, and opinions.

Xilikon
11-15-2011, 05:05 AM
1. About reliability, if you follow the maintenance schedule to the letter and beyond, it will be as reliable as the Toyota. I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris LE as well and this one has a defective ABS rear wheel sensor, which is a manufacturer defect. The cost to repair it is 700-800$ per wheel and Toyota won't do a recall... As for the electronics, since the Volvo has more, it could have more issues but that's hard to predict because it depends on the soldering quality and whenever the components hold it or not (we could say the same about the lottery).

2. I cannot answer that so i'll let someone else do for you.

3. Personnally, I would rather get a 70 for the roomy cargo space and length, which often allow me to carry big objects. A XC60 is smaller and sometime, I felt it's not bigger than my Yaris (it's a hatchback). The best answer to this question is to know if you will be carrying big/long objects often or not ?

prisoner
11-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the response.

I think the interior cargo room is important. I can't believe how small many crossover suv cargo spaces are. I'm with you...having the ability to haul longer objects is important. I would like to be able to pop in a piece of furniture or junk from the home center.

I'm trying to do some research on the dealer servicing. I don't want to pay $300-400 for routine dealer servicing--where they hook you to the computer, change your oil, lube, filter, and tell me all is fine. It seems like those 4-5 routine servicings may be covered in their new plan.

abqsam
11-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Regarding the Safe and Secure package-- it's been great so far. Very straightforward, they pay for everything except tires for 60 months or 60,000 on 2011s (45k on 2012s, I think)

We opted for the '11 XC70 instead of the '12 because of the Sensus system-- I can't stand backlit LCDs in the car, they're hard on my night vision, and it's been the best car I've ever owned. (it seems like volvo quality went down in the early 0x's, but it definitely feels like it's back up to where it used to be... rock solid)

redoak
11-15-2011, 05:46 PM
We have a 2010 XC70 with 24k. Great car with zero issues. Love the Safe and Secure extended warranty. It's nice to not have to pay for the oil/filter change especially since it takes 7quarts of semi-synthetic oil and does not use a spin-on filter. We also have a 1998 V70 XC, bought new, that has 255k and runs like a top.

BIGGUYNE
11-15-2011, 07:41 PM
After 3 xc70's, I went with an xc60. Really, really like it. Roomier than the 70's in both the front and back seats. I like the 60's visibility and driving position. Also....easier to get the granddaughter's seat in and out.

prisoner
11-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Wow, you guys are helpful on the brand but not on my decision of 70 v. 60.

I'm glad to hear that things are solid and you're feeling good about your purchases. I'm particularly glad to hear about the warranty quality.

brissim
11-16-2011, 01:27 AM
[QUOTE=prisoner;139104]Wow, you guys are helpful on the brand but not on my decision of 70 v. 60.QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but my reading of this thread is that people have been very helpful on your XC70 vs XC60 question. What is boils down to is that if you need the extra luggage space (which only you can answer), pick the XC70. From my tests drives of the XC60 & 70 over the last couple of years, the XC60 is a better drive in terms of handling and steering with very little given away in terms of ride comfort. Also - as one person pointed out - the higher seats in the XC60 make it easier to get babies and young kids in and out of the car. If I was choosing between the XC60 and XC70, I'd take the XC60.

Tony

budrichard
11-16-2011, 06:41 AM
"3. My wife will leave car purchasing up to me. I'm looking at the XC70 and XC60. I prefer the XC70. I think she would prefer the XC60. I don't care about SUV styling or features and think I might get more with the XC70. Also, I think the XC70 is for all intents and purposes an SUV anyway. I'm 37 years old. Should I not be buying a wagon? Left to my own choices I'd get the 70. Feedback here please."

Big mistake. If your wife is going to drive the vehicle, she should be comfortable in it and with it. Not all vehicles fit all females the same. She should at least be comfortable with seating, visibility and seat belt placement across the chest area.

Reliability? 2011 has been bulletproof so far, look at my tag line for my other two XC70's.
Safe and Secure works fine so far but only 7500 mile service done.
I keep my vehicles until the 'yard but I did purchase the Volvo Extended Warranty for each XC70, the 2011 goes up to 80k miles as that's all I could obtain.
Can't add anything more except the XC70 is NOT an SUV, profile and driving are very different which is why we drive XC70's.-Dick
BTW you may want to consider the rear seat installed child option for the little one as it grows up, we have this in all our XC70's and it is very helpful in not having to maintain separate seats when they are old enough for the Volvo seats.
I see you live in Chicago, Field's Volvo is a class act and all of our Volvo's have been purchased from Field's or Dealerships they now own.

BIGGUYNE
11-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Bud is dead on. I would NEVER make the final decision for my wife's vehicle. After 38 years of marriage, I've discovered that I can't live on half.

prisoner
11-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the continued responses!

I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying that I didn't get enough help on the 70 v. 60 issue. Email and forums can be ambiguous. I should've thrown a smiley emoticon or something in.

You all have been a great big help. In fact, I realize I may need to get her in the 60 and 70. I know which one she'll pick.

And I do appreciate, very much, the comments about luggage and cargo space. That's where part of my preference for the 70 comes in. I can probably sell her on that. Why is the world, incluiding my wife, obsessed (well seemingly) with SUVs? I've never been a big fan. Don't dislike them per se, but I am not drawn to them.

On the Fields Volvo comment, I may try them. I really don't know who to go with so I appreciate the thumbs up about them. That means something.

budrichard
11-17-2011, 04:57 AM
I think the reason that women like SUV's is probably two-fold.
1.The image is of a large commanding presence at least in the Cadillac-MB-BMW size.
My wife's friends have Cadillac SUV's and she has ridden in them and likes them.
2.Therein lies the other factor, all the women seem to drive them and to drive a 'wagon' may seem out of date.-Dick

phlegm
11-21-2011, 07:03 AM
Thought I'd chime in here, especially as our good friends have a XC60, and I just bought a 2012 XC70.

As indicated, the XC70 has much more cargo room. You're probably fine with 1 child in the XC60, but if you ultimately have 2 kids (he-he), you'll want the extra space of the XC70.

There was a comment about the Sensus system (the LCD display), and I'd have to say I'm strongly oppostite on their comment: I love the Sensus. It is miles ahead of the blocky, small display on the older vehicles. Also, it can be set with a screensaver so that it turns off completely and thus won't affect night driving. (It also dims along with all other in-car lighting.)

As for reliability, we should defer to Consumer Reports instead of our own experiences. As of 2011, the XC70 is recommended by Consumer Reports, which is important to me. (It wasn't previoulsly recommended.)

That said, there's no way it (yet) matches the proven reliability that Toyota has shown over the years - that is substantiated in the Consumer Reports data.

Finally, can't comment on Safe & Sound as I imported a US vehicle into Canada. While I do get warranty coverage, I don't get the free maintenance associated with Safe & Sound. Boo. :(

prisoner
11-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks, Phlegm. You make some good points.

On reliability, I can't speak for all Toyotas but my silly Corrolla is unbelievably reliable. I have changed oil, brake pads, and a battery. I'm just shy of 80k. It is a small, bland car though. Its purpose is city driving in Chicago. Terrible on the highway for long distances.

Is there anything in particular that made you choose the 70? I think cargo room is a huge plus, as it seems you do. I need to spend some time in these two vehicles too. I'm wondering if the 70 is quieter or cushier. Performance wise, I'm not that concerned--I want quiet, luxury, safety.

phlegm
11-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I was an Acura guy, and looking to save thousands by importing one from the US. The US Honda/Acura warranty is not honoured in Canada, so I opted for a 2009 Volvo S80 and saved about $11K by importing it.

Love that car, but trunk space sucks. While I don't think we overpack, there just wasn't enough room for stuff for 2 kids. Also, was impossible for wide/tall stuff.

The XC70 was probably a better purchase back in 2009, but at the time was not recommended by Consumer Reports - just the S80, so we went with it.

When it came time to replace the next car (bye-bye Acura), we checked Volvos again, and the XC70 was now recommended.

Opted for the XC70 T6, and I prefer it to the S80 believe it or not. Smooth ride, quiet, awesome engine, and tons of space.

prisoner
11-22-2011, 05:52 AM
Thanks, Phlegm. I am surprised to hear that you can't get your Acura warranty honored in Canada. Rules like that are silly when applied to US--Canada. I may buy a certified preowned model with <30k on it so I have a nice warranty in case anything goes wrong.

I was an Acura guy, and looking to save thousands by importing one from the US. The US Honda/Acura warranty is not honoured in Canada, so I opted for a 2009 Volvo S80 and saved about $11K by importing it.

Love that car, but trunk space sucks. While I don't think we overpack, there just wasn't enough room for stuff for 2 kids. Also, was impossible for wide/tall stuff.

The XC70 was probably a better purchase back in 2009, but at the time was not recommended by Consumer Reports - just the S80, so we went with it.

When it came time to replace the next car (bye-bye Acura), we checked Volvos again, and the XC70 was now recommended.

Opted for the XC70 T6, and I prefer it to the S80 believe it or not. Smooth ride, quiet, awesome engine, and tons of space.

WJGreer
11-22-2011, 10:50 AM
We looked at both in 2009 and eventually bought an XC70 T6. It is my wife's daily driver.

The 70 feels bigger, no doubt about it. We were moving over from a 2004 Audi allroad, and still liked the Euro-wagon form factor. The XC70 seemed similar to the allroad, yet "more" in many areas - a little larger, a little faster, a little more luxurious, (let's hope) a little more reliable. For the reasons we bought it, I think we made the right decision.

If the car had been mine, I might have chosen the 60. I think it is the most attractive small SUV on the market, and they may have cracked the performance code with the new R-Design (although the 0-60 time is mysteriously over a second slower than the X3 3.0 with similar power specs).