PDA

View Full Version : Cluster Stolen from car..Need Help

NotaFastM
11-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Hello,

We have a 01 xc and was sitting in my wife's work garage, came out..someone stole the cluster from the car. She drove it home.. ordered a replacement from tom's. From all I have read I guess I need to have it reprogrammed?? The car right now runs poorly and the windows etc are not working.. I hope there is not more damage. we have parked it until the cluster shows up. Anything I should be aware of that might have to be done?
Thank in advance

billr99
11-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Hello,

We have a 01 xc and was sitting in my wife's work garage, came out..someone stole the cluster from the car. She drove it home.. ordered a replacement from tom's. From all I have read I guess I need to have it reprogrammed?? The car right now runs poorly and the windows etc are not working.. I hope there is not more damage. we have parked it until the cluster shows up. Anything I should be aware of that might have to be done?
Thank in advance
Well, you've answered the question as to whether the vehicle is drivable without a DIM. [thumbup]

I did not have to have my replacement DIM (used) reprogrammed but I lost my trip computer and my mileage now shows what the replacement DIM had on it (about 82K kms more unfortunately). Unlike your situation, I was able to match up the 4 numbers that were on the original DIM so that I had a high probability of success when I got the junkyard DIM. I would suggest that if you can find a junkyard DIM from the same year/model as yours used for cheap you might luck out and it would be worth a try versus the $1000 that the dealer wants for a new one. Hell, for a $1000 you could buy a couple and still be way ahead.

Good luck,

Bill

NotaFastM
11-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the reply.. Wish I had the old one..but somebody needed it more then us I guess.
Any thoughts on the windows and engine running bad? Hope driving it home didn't screw it up more then it was..
Thanks!

billr99
11-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply.. Wish I had the old one..but somebody needed it more then us I guess.
Any thoughts on the windows and engine running bad? Hope driving it home didn't screw it up more then it was..
Thanks!
The DIM is a major node on the network so with it gone it wouldn't surprise me that the car would run bad (actually surprised it is running at all). As far as the windows, I would suspect that that is part of the anti-theft programming (a lot of good that does, eh?). I know when I was finally able to hook up my VIDA/DiCE, I had all kinds of DIM errors after my original one died. When I was able to clear all the DIM-related DTCs, the car ran better and I haven't had a window, outside mirror, or seat memory glitch since. Kind of the problem with the modern car control systems. Everything is tied together and programmed accordingly. Miss a bit, have a bad connection, etc. and all hell breaks loose.

Get a DIM in your XC and have all the systems sorted and you'll be back to a workable car. Don't worry about the weird behaviour until you get the DIM.

Good luck,

Bill

Ocean Racer
11-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Who would want to steal a cluster - of all things..

billr99
11-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Who would want to steal a cluster - of all things..

No kidding. They have very little value unless the part and software numbers match properly. Of course, in some places, some people will steal anything not tied down and if they had no real car knowledge they may have been going after the odo (i.e. a lower reading one than the one they have, maybe).

Cheers,

Bill

n00bkiller944
11-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Ghetto... lol