PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak,rear of engine?

8pack
11-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I have coolant leaking from somewhere at the back of the engine. I can't get under there for a couple of days. What is back there that is likely to be leaking?

2000 xc70 158k

cattlecar
11-09-2011, 08:06 AM
That is a pretty big question.
Heater hoses, quick fittings on firewall and clamped on engine ends
Coolant hoses to turbo, Oetiker clamps on most ends
Coolant hoses to oil cooler, Oetiker clamps and worm screw clamps
Pipe to back of coolant pump housing on block sealed with o ring
Pipe to side of cylinder head sealed with two bolt flange with gasket

Is the puddle left, right, or center?

8pack
11-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Looks like I just have to climb under the car! Thanks for the pointers. It is on a gravel driveway and I can't pinpoint where the leak is. I just got down on my sde and saw that there were drips off the back of the block, the frame and some of the tubes.

Will update if anyone is interested when I pinpoint it.

I think this car is ready to retire unfortunately.

Power Steering Pump is making noise.....
Coolant leak at back of block somehwere..........
Bevel Gear needs to be replaced but am successfully running FWD......
Evaporator is bad........
Blower Fan is noisy and needs replacing.......
Just as well replace heater core if I am in there anyway.......
Cosmentically the Hood is dented up from a branch falling on it.......
There are scratches along the left side of the car from some overzealous shoveling by a teenager............

Too much in total I think. The engine runs like a champ, the tranny is flawless, Turbo is fine, burns 1qt every 5k miles, Interior is prettymuch Mint for theage of the vehicle, I have a brand new propshaft, Replaced radiator, control arms, front axles, engine mounts, all brakes, Axle seals, emergency brakes and cables and more I can't remember all in the last 5k miles....Mobil 1 every 5k for its life, all regular maintenance

The car is really a very reliable car despite what needs to be fixed! I need to figure out what to do with it, can't sell it without the BG except to an aficianodo who understands how it all works....I guess I need to look at parting it out...........

:(:(:mad:

JRL
11-10-2011, 03:19 PM
The lower hose off the plastic tank goes to the firewall side of the engine and sometimes if that is leaking it's hard to find