PDA

View Full Version : Rear Swaybar Bushings?

billr99
11-08-2011, 04:21 AM
This year's safety inspection noted that my rear swaybar bushings are in need of replacement. Has anyone figured out a way around having to not replace the whole bar just to sort the bushings? I'm thinking some Energy Suspensions polys but open to any ideas as I'm not doing the bar. It's ridiculous to replace a $10 set of bushings with a $175 bar.

Cheers,

Bill

JRL
11-08-2011, 04:55 AM
Nope!

Xilikon
11-08-2011, 05:02 AM
IIRC, those bushings was molded on the swaybar so it's impossible to remove.

billr99
11-08-2011, 06:00 AM
Well, they aren't impossible to remove, just really difficult. In fact in my case, they have separated from the bar due to wear so that part should actually be easy

I've done this before on a SAAB9000 that also had "permanently" install bushings. What you do is to remove the brackets and clean up what remains of the bushing on both the bar and brackets (open flame helps usually). Then the trick is to find a replacement bushing that will fit both the bracket and bar. I guess my questions was trying to solicit alternatives to what I have had to do before. It looks like an Energy Suspension bushing (14mm ??) might work at $15.95 for the set from Summit Racing. I need to get under there and verify the dia. of the bar but Energy does have a good selection.

My first thought was to do an IPD rear bar but they don't sell a rear bar separately anymore except for the 25mm rear R bar. Considering the stock front bar is something like 23mm. I'm thinking that option would probably be a bit too exciting for my wife to deal with. The IPD 22m bar would be a nice balance setup but why they don't sell separately?

The bottom line here is that I refuse in this case to spend relatively big bucks on what could be a $15 and some of my time exercise. Big bars would be cool, but I really don't want to stiffen things up anymore than they already are and despite what some say, bigger bars to stiffen things up.

Anyway, thanks guys for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill

JRL
11-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Why don't you splurge?
Buy a set of IPD bars (both) and have your XC handle quite a bit better than it does now [thumbup] with no ride degredation.

THEY DO NOT STIFFEN ANYTHING UP, the ride is about the same in a straight line.
All they do is cut your roll in by half or more.
I've had a P2 XC with bars and it was very nice
All my Gen 1s have sway bars.
Now with this 99 I have for the winter, it doesn't have IPD bars and cornering (or the lack of it) is very noticable! :(

billr99
11-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Why don't you splurge?
Buy a set of IPD bars (both) and have your XC handle quite a bit better than it does now [thumbup] with no ride degredation.

THEY DO NOT STIFFEN ANYTHING UP, the ride is about the same in a straight line.
All they do is cut your roll in by half or more.
I've had a P2 XC with bars and it was very nice
All my Gen 1s have sway bars.
Now with this 99 I have for the winter, it doesn't have IPD bars and cornering (or the lack of it) is very noticable! :(

I'm retired, I don't splurge any more! :D

Have you run IPD bars on a P2 car with stiffer springs as well? That is my concern since I have Eibachs. Last time I pulled this (using my wife's phraseology) it was on a 744T that had the full IPD kit on it. It handled great but was a wee bit stiff. For that matter, my R with Killen springs and stock R bars was a wee bit on the stuff side as well.

Anyway, I might go for that if I could be assured I wouldn't take the XC over the edge as far as ride quality.

Thanks for the suggestion

Bill

MacNoob
11-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Any comment on whether the IPD bars could be added to a 4-C equipped car?

n00bkiller944
11-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes, many of the Volvo R owners run IPD bars with their 4-C!

MacNoob
11-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Yes, many of the Volvo R owners run IPD bars with their 4-C!

TY - didn't know if changing the bars would hopelessly confuse 4-C. My XC has 4-C and adaptive headlights as well as some R interior bits.

Japedo
11-08-2011, 02:19 PM
I am with you on that thought Bill. THere has to be an aftermarket alternative.

My front SB bushings are starting to go... And I hate the idea of replaceing the whole sway bar because of damaged bushings.

If I can find a poly bushing that fits the bar's diameter, I could cut it down to fit the bracket. I've been thinking about it, but haven't attempted the repair yet.

Interested to know what you find, my XC has about the same millage as yours and my rear bushings are prolly getting there as well.

Cheers

JRL
11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
if anything, my V70R's with TME springs and IPD bars rode better than stock as it all matched up very well [thumbup][thumbup]

JRL
11-08-2011, 02:31 PM
You know guys, that there is such a thing as used low mileage sway bars from a place like Erie
I bought one for a 99 a couple of years ago, I think it cost me about $60-70 bucks or so (delivered) and all of 30 minutes to change it

billr99
11-08-2011, 02:45 PM
if anything, my V70R's with TME springs and IPD bars rode better than stock as it all matched up very well [thumbup][thumbup]

OK, makes sense. Maybe I'll go that way if I can get the money out of my wife's Xmas fund. :eek:

Thanks again,

Bill

Japedo
11-08-2011, 04:01 PM
You know guys, that there is such a thing as used low mileage sway bars from a place like Erie
I bought one for a 99 a couple of years ago, I think it cost me about $60-70 bucks or so (delivered) and all of 30 minutes to change it

Ya, maybe that would be an idea to consider. But if somehow a poly bushing could be used, it would probably be better then stock.
I'll have to look around.

thanks

Jorge-789995
11-08-2011, 04:50 PM
used low mileage sway bars from a place like Erie

How can you tell if a sway bar has low mileage? I can't imagine spending the time and effort of replacing a rubber part on a car that I planned to keep more than a few thousand miles. If I'm going to the trouble, then I'm going to do it for the long term. I don't have time to be doing it again in a year or 2.

Keith

frank_a
11-10-2011, 03:11 PM

That's what I did.

Got the used bar from Erie. The installer thought it was new. Worked out great. [thumbup]