PDA

View Full Version : Weird electric problems

KimMason
11-07-2011, 02:11 PM
ABS light and Tracs off light coming on randomly, no apparent affect on driving. ABS growled twice one dry pavement. Then the drivers seat has started moving all the way back and tilling up by itself, when I a driving. (very scary)
Any ideas?
Thanks
Kim

MacNoob
11-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Get your battery checked. Dying/Low battery can do all kinds of goofy things.

eitankon
11-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Did anyone installed anything new to the car? fixed an electrical problem?
Look at the fuse box. Maybe something is stuck there . or moisture got to the fuse box.

cattlecar
11-08-2011, 08:43 AM
I know these cars can have odd symptoms for network electrical problems but this I do not believe to be one of those.
The ABS/TRACS issue is on the high speed network and is almost certainly bad module solder joint issue that is so common. The power seat is on the low speed network. Power seat switches can get things in them and stick. Worn seat cushion is known to fold over and activate switch.
I agree that low voltage can cause odd problems but the order of failure when voltage gets progressively lower is usually ABS-SRS-DIM-CCM-AUDIO.
There are other things that will go offline without you noticing it but I have never seen nor heard of seat motion as a symptom of low voltage. I have seen that as a symptom of sticking switch and as a symptom of depressed memory position button (1 2 and 3 buttons). IF the seat goes to the position it is moving to while driving when one of those buttons is depressed and released then I think you have your answer to seat issue.

KimMason
11-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Thank you for the ideas I will check them out. I did have the door catch pillar fixed but he is a really good body man. Could he have damaged the wire harness in the door frame? Would it cause these problems?
Thanks