PDA

View Full Version : XC70 Remove rear window motor

AgnarBen
11-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi there

I have a issue with my rear electric window, it came down this morning but doesnīt want to go up again. I have tried using the switch from the other rear door (which is working just fine) but it wont budge. I hear a little click when I press the switch (down) but nothing when I pull it (up). My conclusion is that the motor is toast, you agree ?

After removing the door panel I found out that the motor is fastened to a metal plate with three screws on the inside which I cant reach and I canīt see how to remove the metal plate since the regulators are fastened to the window (see pics).

Can anyone give me the proper procedure on how to replace the motor ?

thanks,
Agnar

BEJinFBK
11-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Just blindly changing stuff out can cost a lot of time and money .
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions without a little more data. Got a meter?
There's an entire chain of failure points between the battery and the motor.
Most of the time, it's a bad switch. Could be either, but usually the master.
This is a very good write up for having a look and cleaning it:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38245

If that doesn't get it:

Here's a link to a DIY site that explains how this type of window system works:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-window2.htm

I'd suggest downloading your car's wiring diagrams and having a look:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo-wiring-diagrams/

Step 1 - Check out the master switch - It's a very common window killer.
Step 2 - Is power getting all the way to the motor? Then work back.

AgnarBen
11-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Thanks for a quick answer and useful links. Most of the links at matthewsvolvosite.com do not work though (exempt the one that has to do with cleaning up the master switch).

I have switched out the back door switch so Iīm failing to see why cleaning out the master switch should change anything. I will still try to clean up the master switch and see if that does work. Then I will proceed to find out whether the motor is receiving power when rolling up.

What about applying 12V directly to the motor, that should get the window up if the motor is OK !

Thanks again for your help and all input is much appreciated :)

reg/Agnar

JRL
11-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Nothing
In my experience the hatch motors go bad like the door locks go bad

BEJinFBK
11-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks for a quick answer and useful links. Most of the links at matthewsvolvosite.com do not work though (exempt the one that has to do with cleaning up the master switch).

I have switched out the back door switch so Iīm failing to see why cleaning out the master switch should change anything. I will still try to clean up the master switch and see if that does work. Then I will proceed to find out whether the motor is receiving power when rolling up.

What about applying 12V directly to the motor, that should get the window up if the motor is OK !

Thanks again for your help and all input is much appreciated :)

reg/Agnar

How the master in involved is described at the
"How Stuff Works" link. Read it all the way through.
These Volvos use a very common series wired switch system.
The power for the windows runs through the master
and then on to the local switch to get to the motor.

But the ground supplied by switches is just as important.
All the switch contacts have to be good for these to work.

MVS seems to have problems today. Try again later.
It's a great site with a ton of excellent information. [thumbup]

And 12 volts at the motor will answer your question about it.
Which side? I can give you a leg up with the correct diagram.

AgnarBen
11-07-2011, 03:37 PM
How the master in involved is described at the
"How Stuff Works" link. Read it all the way through.

Problem solved, the motor is working fine :)

After I finally had time to read the "how stuff works" link thoroughly and take a look at the wiring diagram I decided to follow your advice and focus on the master switch.

Opened it up and tried to clean it as well as I could using contact spray and then I put it all back together. Afterwards I got even more problems with both my front windows and the one in the back still didnīt come up [mad2]

Took it apart again and by working the contacts with an insulated screwdriver and pressing the right ones I finally got all windows back up again :)

I think the main switchboard is too unreliable to continue to use it so Iīm gonna get a new one.

Thanks a lot BEJinFBK for great advice and for pointing me in the right direction.

Best regards from Iceland
Agnar

The Volvo is my daily driver but for those who like off roading you might be interested in my Jeep Cherokee build thread http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f26/cherokee-xj-modifications-39-5-tires-13272/

BEJinFBK
11-07-2011, 06:54 PM
That window system can really mess with ya, but once you get
the idea, it gets a lot easier. Happy to Help and Glad Ya Got It! [cool2]